Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot repair OR re-load Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
you had me type in fixmbr earlier and it would not work. It worked this time and I typed in yes. so it said the new master boot record has been successfully written. I see you are off line maybe we can hook up again , not sure what to do now...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type exit and press "Enter".

Reboot and see if it starts. (remove the floppy disk first)

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It said something really quick about smart drive detects iminent failure and I didnt get to read the rest. then there was a status thing at the bottom and then there was the paragraph again about wihndows system 32 you can attemt to repair bla bal bla..

OK. so I tried over and over to do the last thing you said and it said file could not be copied. I hate to leave and go to bed because i KNOW i WILL probably not get you again. Chances are very high I GUESS that I will have to get my brother in law to help me do whatever that was that you said about getting the pictures off. I mean, if right now I could just fix it I wouldnt really care about the pictures but nothing is helping.
I would go ahead and do whatever you were talking about the fdisk thing and loose it all but I bet it doesnt even work since I saw that imnent failure thing..I had seen it earlier today tooo...so its not something that we did tonight....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think your harddrive is failing and the eminent failure message just confirms it. You may be able to get your images off the drive using the other methods I described, so I wouldn't advise the fdisk as you would surely lose the data then and still have a bad drive.

I'm around here every day at various times...usually the evenings.

Edited by wannabe1, 15 October 2006 - 11:35 PM.

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I appreciate your time more than you know.

I am going to bed.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure. :whistling: