Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter

Try admin as the password for the printer

I tried 'admin' no luck I then tried my new administrator password (set when we re-installed XP - I forgot it was differnt to my original one !) and got a new box "Operation could not be completed . Access is denied"
If I type \\ Thomson into the address field in Windows explorer and click 'go' it takes me to 'Samba server (thomson)' the properties of that show - Type - Windows NT 4.9 server and that its in workgroup BT
I Google'd 'Samba server thomson' and all sorts of stuff comes up including THIS - which I will now read - see the section on USB !

Thanks

PS I'm getting to grips with IE 7 and will have a go at Firefox later

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 11 May 2007 - 03:25 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
use firefox

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter

use firefox

I've loaded it and am finding my way round, at the moment I find its lacking some things I use in IE

Let me know what you think about the URL I gave you and 'Samba server' - when you have time.

I've been reading about the BTHomeHub on the 'File Save as' forum and it looks like there are quite a few people with Homehub problems - at least you got me there in the end (I know don't mention the printer!)

Thanks

PS I've just posted another query - New topic

Edited by Chris - Thecleancar, 11 May 2007 - 10:21 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris

"The Samba Server on the BT Home Hub uses the name "BT" as its Workgroup name, if you try to add a USB storage device to a PC on an existing network with a workgroup name other than BT you may find the BT workgroup is not available from the browse option, but if you temporarily change each PC to join the BT workgroup then it will be available from the browse option , once the device is added you can revert to your workgroup name"

Worth a try to do this then see if you can see the printer via the network.

I set up a 'local printer' on each machine and modified the port settings - each is shared and the default
'Printers and Faxes' shows the one on the Systemax as ready and it will print a test page

But would it print more then 1 page?

What do you use in IE that is not in firefox?? :whistling:
Cheers
Peterm
PS looked at the other topics - What Fenor said is true, CCleaner???? never use it you may need to ask a malware person

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter
I'll have a go at the Samba Server ASAP and let you know - the outside world again!

I set up a 'local printer' on each machine and modified the port settings - each is shared and the default
'Printers and Faxes' shows the one on the Systemax as ready and it will print a test page

But would it print more then 1 page?

The best I got was for them to print test pages and a page from notepad but stuck halfway on a Word page - Sometimes nothing at all.

What do you use in IE that is not in firefox??

It was mainly the add on toolbars (eg Google) but I've been finding my way round it now and have nearly got everthing I want - the only thing I cant get at present is a toolbar from eBay which is useful as it shows whats going on in eBay including if the URL is a genuine one.

looked at the other topics - What Fenor said is true, CCleaner???? never use it you may need to ask a malware person

Thanks for that I'll see if I get some opinions in the forum

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
are you going to try that network free download program
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter
I had a go at the instructions for adding a USB device to the Hub but didnt get anywhere as things were not as stated - there was nothing in 'Thomson' to add as a new network place. Perhaps these instructions were written before BT 'updated' the firmware and changed things, I believe, for example, you could connect to any ISP before the latest upgrade but now its only BT

are you going to try that network free download program

I downloaded it and tried to set up the printer but the program couldn't find it !
I wonder if the guy who posted thought I wanted to add a Win 2000 PC as it was after the post where you replied about that.

May I ask you about 'Administrator' accounts that have been created as a result of the re-install of XP or would you rather I posted in the forums ?

Thanks for the continued help

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
What is wrong with the admin account
Cheers
peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter

What is wrong with the admin account

Theres nothing 'wrong' with it but in 'Documents and settings' on the Systemax I've the following listed
Administrator...................Date modified 6/6/2006
Administrator.SYSTEMAX..Date modified 10/5/2007
All users..........................Date modified 23/5/2006
All users.WINDOWS0........Date modified 2/5/2007
Chris0.............................Date modified 9/5/2007

Can I delete some of these? I guess the two dated 2006 which I think must be left overs from the original Windows which we deleted.
Its even more complex on the Dell are you up for it ?

Thanks you must get worried everytime you see a post from me !

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Are these folders you are talking about?
If yes make sure you move any data out before you delete the folder
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter

Are these folders you are talking about?
If yes make sure you move any data out before you delete the folder

Yes they are I'll check in them to see if I want anything and then move them one at a time to a temporary folder and check that everything still works ok before I move the next one

Thanks once again

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello Peter
I think its time to say that this topic can now be closed. You have done what I asked - to network the two PCs and share their files. :blink:
It would be nice to know just what the problem was.

Any other queries / problems I have can be posted as new threads in the relevant forums.

It just remains for me to say a heartfelt THANK YOU for all the time and effort you spent with me !! :help: :whistling: :help:
Its great to know there is help out there - nothing worse than being 'on your own'.
Thank you also for your attitude towards donations for all this work.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Your Welcome

It would be nice to know just what the problem was.

A corrupt windows install that is why you could not get the connection via cable to work.
Cheers
Peterm

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Helllo Peter
Well this was to be a final goodbye for this thread ! - but I just upgraded the Dell to IE 7 as it was going ok on the Systemax but now I cant access the www on the Dell !! :whistling:

Dont know if this in your 'area' but the thread is HERE

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Chris
Ok please start IE & on the Dell (I do not use it but the basic should be the same)
What we need is tools > Internet options >connections Tab> Lan settings>
make sure that auto detect settings, use auto config script & use a proxy server are all unticked.
Click ok close Ie 7 then restart IE7

Cheers
peterm