Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opinions: Do you think that within 2 years Vista will be much better t

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I was just wondering.

Do you think all the compatability issues will be overcome?
Do you think Microsoft will find a way of keeping the security without using up so much CPU/RAM?

Thanks

Advertisements

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, in all honesty, I think that Vista was a failed project in alot of ways. They were aiming at a more user friendly OS but the features that they added to make it "user friendly" were way too much of a pain from the beginning to the point of users turning them off which made it just like XP. Maybe, just maybe, after a few years, they will get all the bugs out, but I still do not planning on buying it within the next few years. If I get it at all, it will proibably not be for another 3-5 years, and then it will be iffy. That is just my opinion. I think that Microsoft just needed to come out with something new to stay in the OS lime light, so they pushed Vista to launch and suffered the consequences with compatibility issues and major frustration on the user. Not to mention the major failure in sales right off the bat.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
A few things.

If you are going to start a poll, you cant start a totally one-sided poll with an introduction like yours. "How much will Vista suck in 2 years".

Also, If you are going to start a thread, at least use the search function and find one of the other hundred or so threads that already discuss this exact same issue and put your $.02 in there rather than starting something new.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I don't get how it's one-sided but...
I get your second point.

Sorry

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

I think that Microsoft just needed to come out with something new to stay in the OS lime light, so they pushed Vista to launch and suffered the consequences with compatibility issues and major frustration on the user.

This is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but before you post something like this on a forum full of Geeks who actually do research, you should at least attempt to say something that makes sense.

The Vista launch was pushed back over and over again to get things right. Is it 100% perfect, no, of course not. Point me to any piece of software without bugs.

And as for incompatibility issues, Microsoft does not write the drivers for hardware. Thats up to the hardware manufacturers. Did nVidia cards have a problem with Vista, sure, but ATI didn't. This means that ATI did what was necessary to keep their customers happy and nVidia didn't. You fault Microsoft for this? Seriously?

Also, isn't being able to turn crap off to make the OS run how you want it (ala XP) more user friendly and not less? It would seem to me that being able to turn this stuff off would be a feature, not a failure.

If you are afraid of change, don't be afraid to say it. But also don't look down on those of us willing to take the chance. After all, Ill be enjoying the features of Vista for a long time before you'll finally catch up to the "in" crowd.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Just incase some of your last post was directed at me, ScHwErV, I didn't blame the incompatability issues on microsoft.

Shadow did though. Although that was wrong, I still think he had some good points...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you know the reason why most of your old hardware doesn't work in vista? because the companies that make that hardware would much rather you buy new hardware right? yeah...makes sense

how bout the fact that vista had THE LARGEST beta testing program out of any NON open source OS? they had more testers in vista than any other OS ever created...how could that be pushing it out before it's done?

90% of the problems with vista...are either related to a hardware vendor not keeping up...or the idiot behind the keyboard...not the os itself

and to the point of your original poll....where will vista be in 2 years? who knows...did you install XP when it was first released? it was 10 times as bad as vista is right now...but you love XP now right? that's what i thought....you can't make something perfect right out of the box...not gonna happen

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Wow.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

and to the point of your original poll....where will vista be in 2 years? who knows...did you install XP when it was first released? it was 10 times as bad as vista is right now...but you love XP now right? that's what i thought....you can't make something perfect right out of the box...not gonna happen

That's exactly why I asked this question.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Well, shame on you for asking a question in a public forum....SHAME!!

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

Wow.

Seriously? You had to click the add reply button for that?

Wow.

+1!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

This comment was unnecessary, and rude. If you cannot contribute intelligent things to a discussion, then don't post. Post count means nothing here. Post quality, however, does.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Wow.

Seriously? You had to click the add reply button for that?

Wow.

+1!

You seem a bit stressed out... Maybe you should move on to a more pleasing topic. (No sarcasm, patronisation or insultation - is that a word? - intended).

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

You seem to have this knack for finding a thread and attempting to take the high moral road before you really read what is happening.

There is a difference between asking a question, and giving your uninformed opinion on a subject.

Do you think all the compatability issues will be overcome?

This is a loaded question. The topic says microsoft, but the compatibility issues are not MSs.

Do you think Microsoft will find a way of keeping the security without using up so much CPU/RAM?

This is not so much a loaded question as it is an opinion disguised as a question. Who says Vista is using up "so much" CPU/RAM?

A question should be non-biased. These statements are biased. So therefore he is not asking a question, he is giving his opinion. To which we are entitled to respond.

I already pointed out all the flaws with the second post in post #5.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

You seem a bit stressed out... Maybe you should move on to a more pleasing topic. (No sarcasm, patronisation or insultation - is that a word? - intended).

Have no fear, a good debate always gets my blood pumping. I enjoy the thrill of the kill.

While many things here may be pointed towards you because you started the topic, do not take them personally. We are merely trying to point out the flaws in your statements so that you and any others who read this thread are more informed.

If I were ever wrong I would want someone to point it out to me. This rarely happens mind you, but if it ever does, I would want to know.

Education 101 with Professor ScHwErV