Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opinions: Do you think that within 2 years Vista will be much better t

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Oh God... I think ME is the worst virus I've ever had! ...Oh wait, that was meant to be an OS?!

Lol thanks sari.

I would also like to thank everyone else for assuring me that vista will improve and hardware/software companies will get off their arses!
The reason I was asking is because I'll be buying my next laptop in 2 years.

Edited by Dominicc2003, 24 April 2007 - 02:57 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I like having something last, and not just be a quick fling.

Excellent line of thinking you have there, sir. :whistling:

*Kat thwaps rocky, Fenor and the monkey for taking this thread so far off topic

When, where and how did it go off topic? We were talking about Vista being better then XP was at it's start. Then dsenette agreed and said that Vista>XP>98>95>3.1. I applauded him for not mentioning ME. Rocky of course put his completely absurd biased mention of how good ME was in. Sari whistled innocently like she had nothing to do with rocky 'lurking' in the topic. I then commented that we knew he (rocky that is) would need help finding this topic. Sari then agreed with me with her 'woof' comment. I would have to say that the most off-topic post in this topic would have to be yours...

*Fenor hides

Edited by Fenor, 24 April 2007 - 03:34 PM.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I think in 2 years vista will be exactly the same as it is now. Maybe a few security updates, but nothing huge will change.

And Fenor, next time you assault me in public, ill have a restraining order put on you, so you will not be able to come within 2 topics of the one I am viewing :whistling: :blink:

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Regarding :

QUOTE(Fenor @ Apr 24 2007, 03:08 PM) *
I like having something last, and not just be a quick fling.

Excellent line of thinking you have there, sir. yes.gif

Actually I think that the overhead (CPU cycles, hard drive and memory) that recent OS's (XP and Vista) use is ridiculous.

It has been pointed out {short hand for I forgot who said it most recently} that during the '386- 486 days (many of you may need to ask your grandparents about this time period noted for people napping their own 1600 baud modems from flint) I could have an OS running and move my mouse across the screen and the pointer would move "real time"... those machines were 100's of times slower with 1/100'th the RAM of many systems now.

Many software companies have seemingly (to me) committed themselves to implementing EVERYTHING ANYONE could ever want, (Nice thought) and having it ALL load during boot-up. Granted we have many more features available now due to these decisions, but I also believe that THEY (software and hardware companies) are intentionally feeding off of sloppy code {meaning: 1 bug infested, 2 bloated, and 3 slow}.

Software companies (including Microsoft) need to release new products to maintain revenue streams EVEN IF there is NO REAL IMPROVEMENT. (note I said including, not Especially)

I am tired of wading through the marketing and PR put out by these companies, and listening to (pro/anti)company rants from (hate/fan)boys while I'm trying to figure out if there is anything better for me or my people in this new product.

*ducking and covering now*

So back on topic is there ANYTHING in vista worth the money needed to get it and run it. (my home network has 6 machines attached, all but 1 would need significant hardware upgrades) I WILL wait to move to VISTA (unless 5 white balls and 1 red ball are VERY nice to me soon) until at least SP1 is out... Should I dread the move to vista, be ambivalent, or excited?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

It has been pointed out {short hand for I forgot who said it most recently} that during the '386- 486 days (many of you may need to ask your grandparents about this time period noted for people napping their own 1600 baud modems from flint) I could have an OS running and move my mouse across the screen and the pointer would move "real time"... those machines were 100's of times slower with 1/100'th the RAM of many systems now.

Ok, while I'm not going to continue beating the dead horse, I have already pointed out (and others have too) that as software technologies increase, so will the requirements to run them increase. It is the only logical step to take. About your comment of moving the pointer in 'real time,' what type of machine are you using that the cursor doesn't move when you move the mouse? If you are having this problem, then either your mouse is shot, the drivers for it are bad, or you have some sort of other hardware failure. A trip down to the Hardware forum might be a good step to take if that is the case...

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 24 April 2007 - 04:05 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Now to answer your question about is Vista worth getting. Right now it's not for the normal home user. I only got Vista so that I would know how it works and be able to help people fix their problems with it. I like staying on top of current technologies and therefore I can put up with the bugs and other problems that arise with all new technologies, and most of the time fix them myself and be able to tell others how to do the same.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- Just want to add that I have had no major problems with Vista since I've installed it almost 2 months ago. Had trouble locating drivers, but a couple emails to vendors and some Google searching and that was solved. The security features of IE7 are horrible to say the least, but again with some research and trouble-shooting, I was able to make it usable. I still use FF for almost everything, but I have IE tab extension installed since some pages just won't load on FF, so I wanted to make sure IE would work the way I want it to.

Edited by Fenor, 24 April 2007 - 04:11 PM.

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
Now where is my Commodore when I need it?? :whistling:

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
This turned into quite the topic.

What do you miss about 3.1, I didn't get much of a chance to use it...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its great how people forget the old days when games took twice as long to install and start than they did to play, i used to have to spend an hour in order to run X-wing on 3.1 or dos. Life is so much easier now.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Just so everyone knows, I am the reason that this topic just got a LOT shorter. Lets keep the discussion in the VISTA forum and in the thread about VISTA to talking about Vista. If you want off topic chatter, take it to the discussion forums.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

These old systems were also capable of 1/100th of what todays systems are. In general, the old systems were more expensive.

So for less money than before, you get more capabilities, I really am missing where the problem is here?

Many software companies have seemingly (to me) committed themselves to implementing EVERYTHING ANYONE could ever want, (Nice thought) and having it ALL load during boot-up. Granted we have many more features available now due to these decisions, but I also believe that THEY (software and hardware companies) are intentionally feeding off of sloppy code {meaning: 1 bug infested, 2 bloated, and 3 slow}.

No one here will attempt to deny that many of today's programs are bloated and buggy. However, in the "olden days" that you speak of, there was no competition for software. You got what was available. Today, there are many options which means competition. Can you make your software better than the other guy without adding more stuff? No, so to compete, the programs get more bloated so that they appeal to the biggest number of consumers.

Software companies (including Microsoft) need to release new products to maintain revenue streams EVEN IF there is NO REAL IMPROVEMENT. (note I said including, not Especially)

I completely miss your point here. You say you haven't used Vista yet, but you claim here that there is "NO REAL IMPROVEMENT". Based on what standards is there no improvement? If you want pretty, Vista is prettier than XP. If you want security, Vista is more secure than XP. If you want better games, Vista comes with better games than XP did. This is the same with all companies, the new version of Adobe Photoshop has some great new features compared to the older ones I have used. The new FireFox has some cool new features in 2.0. The new AutoCAD has some very nice fixes to the older versions. I just don't believe you have thought this statement through thoroughly.

I am tired of wading through the marketing and PR put out by these companies, and listening to (pro/anti)company rants from (hate/fan)boys while I'm trying to figure out if there is anything better for me or my people in this new product.

Don't. MS offered a public beta of Vista for everyone to download and try for months. This is where it is your responsibility to do the research and not rely on others to spoon feed the information you seek to you.

*ducking and covering now*

Again, I am not attacking you as I did not above, I merely am responding to what you say. You seem to have a thirst for knowledge. I am hoping that my replies here have quenched that somewhat.

So back on topic is there ANYTHING in vista worth the money needed to get it and run it. (my home network has 6 machines attached, all but 1 would need significant hardware upgrades) I WILL wait to move to VISTA (unless 5 white balls and 1 red ball are VERY nice to me soon) until at least SP1 is out... Should I dread the move to vista, be ambivalent, or excited?

For the sake of saying so, let me go over my system specs. Keep in mind that I have now been running Vista for something like 4-6 months.

Dell Latitude D610
Pentium M 1.73 Ghz Processor
512MB RAM
40GB Hard Disk
Intel 915 Video (128MB)

This is my work computer. I have a nicer dual core machine at home with far superior specs, but this one is the one that has been running Vista for the longest. These are by no means "impressive" system specs. In fact, by todays standards, they are almost laughable. However, with all the "pretty" and unnecessary stuff turned off in Vista, this box is far faster than it used to be with XP on it and it still has all the same functionality (a little more).

I run AutoCAD with it. I run Photoshop with it. I burn CDs with it. I word process, surf the internet, and play games with it. I manage my network with it. And I do it all with no problems.

What more can you ask for?

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
I run AutoCAD with it. I run Photoshop with it. I burn CDs with it. I word process, surf the internet, and play games with it. I manage my network with it. And I do it all with no problems.

What more can you ask for?
[/quote]

All I would ask for is a less expensive UPGRADE. I have 4 PC's at home, and cannot afford a license for every PC. I just wish Microsoft would find a better way to present the product to a home user with multiple PCs. I am interested in Vista, and as I said in another post, I think that only the "heavy customizers" are griping about it.

I think a major issue is people have things against companies that make a ton of money, or people that make a ton of money. I like Microsoft as a company, and I think they have done much more good than they have bad. People get all worked up about them offering a new product...."GRR...why do they keep coming out with new versions..." blah blah blah.....well....because we keep buying them, that's why. Nobody is forcing us to buy these new operating systems. (I do understand they phase out support for older OS's and such.)

Just my 1.5 cents.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

All I would ask for is a less expensive UPGRADE. I have 4 PC's at home, and cannot afford a license for every PC. I just wish Microsoft would find a better way to present the product to a home user with multiple PCs. I am interested in Vista, and as I said in another post, I think that only the "heavy customizers" are griping about it.

It would be foolish of Microsoft to make Vista cheap from the beginning. No company in their right mind would do that. Look at plasma TV's for example: They started out at $10,000 and people bought them then. Of course not as many bought them as they are nowadays due to the drastic drop in price, but people still bought them and the makers of those TV's made a killing since the TV's cost nowhere near that much to produce. New technologies will always cost a lot when they first emerge, that is just how things work. Give it about a year or two and you will see the same drop in price as you saw for XP two years after it was released.

And just want to point out, that Microsoft is making a deal for people with multiple PC's. If you buy the Ultimate version of Vista, you are able to buy two licenses for XP Home Premium at only $50 each here in the states. That's a good deal and one I plan to cash in on at a later date. :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 25 April 2007 - 07:42 AM.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
You get a better deal on XP licenses by buying one copy of Vista? I don't get it....

While I agree that things are normally higher to start with (not always the case)...Vista is hardly a new technology based on what I've read.

I just want like a 50 dollar upgrade from XP to Vista. Something like that. I know I'm dreaming...but it was asked "what else could you ask for" :whistling:

Normally I can find a PC at a yard sale or something for a cheap price....thats how I got a 25 dollar copy of XP once.

Edited by jwinathome, 25 April 2007 - 07:52 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
$50 upgrade, are you kidding me? Microsoft spent almost a billion dollars on developing and testing Vista. You think they will only charge $50 for it? Even now it's like $100 to upgrade to XP and that is how many years since it's release? Think about it. Just doesn't make sense. They are out to make money.