Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sari's grammar thread

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

- 150 is said hundred and fifty (British E.) or hundred fifty (American E.).

I was reading though this thread and I had to dig this part up. There is actually a reason for when talking about numbers you leave the "and" out. If you were to write a check for $150 you would say One Hundred-fifty not One Hundred and fifty. Reason being is One Hundred-fifty can not be misinterpreted as 100.50 as One Hundred and fifty can the "and" is a holding place for the decimal point.

You may now tear apart my post and point out my gramatical errors. If there are any that is, I can not tell.

Edited by tuxmaster, 15 October 2007 - 08:43 AM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Edited. We are not going to provide specific examples of people's errors in here. If we were to do so, it would beat the million post thread in no time.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Just my posts alone would put it in the hundreds :). I am getting better though. If you find any of my posts that need to be fixed for English mistakes feel free to PM me so I can improve my written English.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
EDIT: Can't read, thanks for pointing it out sari.

Edited by FPVDriF6, 16 October 2007 - 08:13 PM.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
ignore this :)

Edited by Fredil Yupigo, 27 October 2007 - 03:53 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

If you find any of my posts that need to be fixed for English mistakes feel free to PM me so I can improve my written English.

Troy and Fredil, read carefully.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Not one of my best points. I'm sure you've noticed :)

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Man, I could have used all of your help this morning in English. . .
Stupid adverbs and adjectives, and prepositions, and participles, and verbs, and nouns, and . . . English!
There is always an exception to each rule that applies to about a fourth of all words, but they keep changing all the stupid grammar rules!

And I don't know why I'm required to take "American History" when i'm planing on moving to canada the year i'm out of highschool. . .
But im not going to drop out or anything, i'm not stupid, although some may think different :-P!
In fact school is fun!
But only geometry, biology, and auto. . .

okay, now im off track, im gonna go do my homework. . .

>=-(

Kyoto1000

Kyoto1000

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Wooh, bumpity from another monthity.

I don't think it's that people are making mistakes; I think it's that people just don't care how they type, as long as it's understandable, even if it makes them look stupid.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Ok guys and Gals, I have one for you

I saw a Pic of Rodney King a few ago and under it it said that He "was beated"

Shouldn't it be was beat or was beaten?

Curious

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 29 November 2007 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I think Beat has two variants using the past tense... Not sure though...

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
[quote name='**Brian**' post='1099017' date='Nov 29 2007, 04:30 PM']Ok guys and Gals, I have one for you

Curious

Brian[/quote]

It should be "beaten." I'm not sure why, but it sounds right. Plus, Wikipedia agrees.

[quote name='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King']Rodney Glen King (born April 9, 1965 in Fort Worth, Texas) is an African-American taxicab driver and peace advocate during the 1992 Los Angeles riots who was beaten by Los Angeles Police Department officers...[/quote]

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
[quote name='stettybet0' post='1099066' date='Nov 29 2007, 05:05 PM'][quote name='**Brian**' post='1099017' date='Nov 29 2007, 04:30 PM']Ok guys and Gals, I have one for you

Curious

Brian[/quote]

It should be "beaten." I'm not sure why, but it sounds right. Plus, Wikipedia agrees.

[quote name='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King']Rodney Glen King (born April 9, 1965 in Fort Worth, Texas) is an African-American taxicab driver and peace advocate during the 1992 Los Angeles riots who was beaten by Los Angeles Police Department officers...[/quote]
[/quote]

Thats what I thought - Was "beated" doesn't make sense, unless of course, it is proper to say something like "I Beated 12 eggs" But that is why I found it strange: The article has the correct usage, but the photo doesn't heheheh :)

Wonder what Sari thinks :)
Brian

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I saw a Pic of Rodney King a few ago

A few what? A few beers ago? :)

Thats what I thought - Was "beated" doesn't make sense, unless of course, it is proper to say something like "I Beated 12 eggs" But that is why I found it strange: The article has the correct usage, but the photo doesn't heheheh :)

Would that simply be: "I beat 12 eggs" :) Although you'd have to be pretty slow for the eggs to beat you :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I can't find a good explanation of beaten vs. beat on the dictionary sites - they lump them together as a verb or transitive verb, depending on usage. However, beaten would be the past tense, i.e., Rodney King was beaten by police, the eggs were beaten, and in this case it's a transitive verb (I believe) because it's referring to an action that will occur to the object. The dog was beaten, the eggs will be beaten, landlord and troy will be beaten up by sari, etc.

If you're using it as a regular verb, you would use beat, i.e., I beat the eggs (that would be past tense), or I'm going to beat the eggs. In this case, the verb goes with the person performing the action; I beat, you beat, he will beat, sari beat landlord and troy to a pulp (:)).