Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sari's grammar thread

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Don't forget to eat your beats :)

(or is that beets?)

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

I can't find a good explanation of beaten vs. beat on the dictionary sites - they lump them together as a verb or transitive verb, depending on usage. However, beaten would be the past tense, i.e., Rodney King was beaten by police, the eggs were beaten, and in this case it's a transitive verb (I believe) because it's referring to an action that will occur to the object. The dog was beaten, the eggs will be beaten, landlord and troy will be beaten up by sari, etc.

If you're using it as a regular verb, you would use beat, i.e., I beat the eggs (that would be past tense), or I'm going to beat the eggs. In this case, the verb goes with the person performing the action; I beat, you beat, he will beat, sari beat landlord and troy to a pulp (:)).

**Brian Laughs and thanks Sari for her research - the article writer must have made an error (:))

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
What about "appreciative" as a verb? "I am so appreciative"? That one drives me to drink. People try to "verbalize" everything when there are perfectly good verbs all through the language (like "grateful" or "delighted" or "obliged").

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey amusinglisa,

The only verb in your sentence is "am". Appreciative is an adjective in that sentence, as it describes the noun.

I like this one: D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
:) , Ax238. You know what drives me crazy? The misspelling of inconvenience. How many times have you seen something like this:

The ATM is out of order. We apologize for any inconvience (or inconvence, or inconience, or many other variations).

I've also seen this in store:

For pricing on this item, please ask store personal.

Does that mean we place a personal ad? I actually hunted down the manager in that case and asked him to correct the sign. :)

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

I actually hunted down the manager in that case and asked him to correct the sign. :)

I can actually see that happening!!!! :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm not called the Global Goddess of Grammar Moderation for nothing!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

What about "appreciative" as a verb? "I am so appreciative"? That one drives me to drink. People try to "verbalize" everything when there are perfectly good verbs all through the language (like "grateful" or "delighted" or "obliged").

Actually, according to Merriam-Webster, the word appreciative has been around since 1698, and it is an adjective, as Ax said.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts

You know what drives me crazy? The misspelling of inconvenience.

Maybe they consider it an inconvenience to ensure appropriate spelling. :) Oh yeah, that's another one that's not incorrect, but it drives me nuts: when people use "insure" when they can appropriately use "ensure". I always think of insurance when I hear "insure".

Commonly Misspelled Words

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is good. I need to improve my communication skills.may I add my pet peeves?
Most people (in the USA) use I.E. for "in example. This is not correct. I.E. = "that is to say"
E.G. is "in example"
This comes from the abreviation o the latin words (do not know them off the top of my head
)click here to ckeck out more latin phrases

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Good point you brought up. Another way to think of i.e. is "In other words".

E.G. = Exempli Gratia
I.E. = Id Est (Latin: That Is)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Men simply cannot. In talking to them, I find that they can do, at most, two tasks in a superior manner at once. And usually they can only do one.

MEN HAVE LEARNED TO NOT LET WOMEN KNOW THE EXTENT OF WHAT WE CAN DO AS WE WILL GET NAGGED LESS IF WOMEN THINK US INCAPABLE (SAID I WHO HAS TO ASK MY WIFE HOW TO SPELL EVERY THIRD WORD)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Apparently only your wife knows how to turn off the caps lock key, also, and she must have been out this evening.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Apparently only your wife knows how to turn off the caps lock key, also, and she must have been out this evening.

Sari am winnar!

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Harhar. You are the grammar queen. Lol. It is actually really annoying when people correct what one writes. However it is also a very good way to learn.

:)