How to remove IE Defender

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

ShadowPuterDude

ShadowPuterDude

• Visiting Consultant
  • 191 posts
When you run the Fake Video Codec installer, Trojan.Zlob-X.a, copies itself to the hard drive. Zlob then downloads and installs Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Delf, which is the Trojan that is generating the pop-up alerts. The codec installer then deletes the copy of Zlob that was installed to the hard drive.

My tool completely removes the infection and threat to your system. As always malware is a fast moving target and difficult to keep up with, there will be times that a variant has not yet been added to the FixIEDef database. I update FixIEDef constantly, there will be some days that the tool will be updated 2-3 times if not more.

We have been lucky so far, there are enough eyes on the developers of this Trojan that we have been able to keep up with them. Often other strains of malware will accompany infections of this type. It is always best to post in the sites Malware Removal, HijackThis log forums for additional help, and confirmation of the systems status.

Edited by ShadowPuterDude, 04 December 2007 - 08:56 PM.

Advertisements

tiffie06

tiffie06

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK..I'M SO CONFUSED. I DOWNLOADED THE PROGRAM AND NOTHING WAS CHECKED SO I INSTALLED THE OTHER THING AND STILL NOTHING IS HAPPENING. PLEASE HELP. EVERY TIME I GO TO A DIFFERENT PAGE ON THE INTERNET, A WINDOW POPS UP AND SAYS I HAVE TROJAN AND TO CLEAN MY SYSTEM IMMEDIATELY AND I'M GOING INSANE. THANK YOU

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

OK..I'M SO CONFUSED. I DOWNLOADED THE PROGRAM AND NOTHING WAS CHECKED SO I INSTALLED THE OTHER THING AND STILL NOTHING IS HAPPENING. PLEASE HELP. EVERY TIME I GO TO A DIFFERENT PAGE ON THE INTERNET, A WINDOW POPS UP AND SAYS I HAVE TROJAN AND TO CLEAN MY SYSTEM IMMEDIATELY AND I'M GOING INSANE. THANK YOU

Hey tiffie06 and welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

By default no entries will be ticked in HJT. If any of the entries are in your log that are listed in the first post, tick and remove them. If you need more help follow the instructions below.

Please read and follow the instructions [Here] and then post a log in the [Malware Forum].

A helper will be with you ASAP, but if it's been over 3 days without help, post a topic in the [Waiting Room]

Good luck
~Matt :)

Edited by Matt T, 04 December 2007 - 09:31 PM.

tiffie06

tiffie06

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! U guys saved the day and I don't get any more of those "Critical System" pop ups on every page!! Thanks again!!!

mewsician

mewsician

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi
I'm a new member who found this site after discovering the Trojan.Zlob-X.a on my machine last night.

Here comes the syrup. . .I can't thank you enough for making ShadowPuterDude's automated tool available, and for FREE! About three minutes and the trojan was gone. Excellent fix!!

I would point out, though, that you must close all IE windows after you download FixIEDef.zip.

Thanks again. This is a GREAT service, a free, useful, intelligent site. I'll be back as I get into dealing with Windows XP on my fairly new computer.

jpoates13

jpoates13

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello I am a new member who has also discovered this blasted Trojan.Zlob-X.a but i did as ShadowPuterDude instructed and I am still getting the popup. What now?

ShadowPuterDude

ShadowPuterDude

• Visiting Consultant
  • 191 posts

Hello I am a new member who has also discovered this blasted Trojan.Zlob-X.a but i did as ShadowPuterDude instructed and I am still getting the popup. What now?

Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go! :)

Please read and follow the instructions [Here] and then post a log in the [Malware Forum].

A helper will be with you ASAP, but if it's been over 3 days without help, post a topic in the [Waiting Room]

Good luck

Edited by ShadowPuterDude, 06 December 2007 - 11:36 AM.

jpoates13

jpoates13

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I COULD HUG YOU!!! :) You guys are the absolute best, I have been struggling with this stupid Zlob-X.a for a day and a half, I even contacted my so called Mcafee customer service virus removal tech but they wanted to charge $20USD to find and remove it and it only took me about 30 seconds to do it with your Hijack this help. Thank-you thank-you thank-you! geeks to go is definately going into my favorite websites file!

ShadowPuterDude

ShadowPuterDude

• Visiting Consultant
  • 191 posts

I COULD HUG YOU!!! :) You guys are the absolute best, I have been struggling with this stupid Zlob-X.a for a day and a half, I even contacted my so called Mcafee customer service virus removal tech but they wanted to charge $20USD to find and remove it and it only took me about 30 seconds to do it with your Hijack this help. Thank-you thank-you thank-you! geeks to go is definately going into my favorite websites file!

jpoates13, do you still have the HijackThis log? If so, please post just the O2 line for the IEDefender related BHO. So, I can add it to the FixIEDef database for removal.

computer newbie

computer newbie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello ShadowPuterDude,

I was saved by your program, and I am grateful. Right now I am lurking and learning more about how these malware programs work.

Thanks Geeks to go!!! :)

Advertisements

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts

Right now I am lurking and learning more about how these malware programs work.

This post might be of interest to you then :)

em42

em42

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i was just on this site trying to figure out how to get rid of this pop-up that kept saying i have a trojan etc... now im not sure if it is gone or not. im still worried that my computer is going to be harmed.. i tried to resolve this problem by using FixIEDef i'm not getting the pop up, did it work?? can i delete the FixIEDef now??

i really have no idea what i am doing with computers

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hello and welcome em42
If you would like confirmation it is fact gone
Please read and follow the instructions Here and then post a log in the Malware Forum.

computer newbie

computer newbie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Right now I am lurking and learning more about how these malware programs work.

This post might be of interest to you then :)

OMG, I don't think that I am ready yet, I am in the baby stage, lol

simplyjojo

simplyjojo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wow.... FINALLY!!!

You guys have helped me in getting rid of tat stupid Trojan, which has infected my dad's laptop for weeks... You never believed how much stress I have gone under, juz to find a solution.... WOW WOW WOW!! Now I can have a good sleep and give my dad a surprise when he gets back from his trip!!

Thumbs UP and Thank you very much...

Merry Christmas to ALL!!

Thank you again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.