Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Contest ideas wanted!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
How about....

GeeksToGo wallpaper/advertisement/catchphrase

Like a creative and cool way of showing or saying "we fight malware".

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

have an elimination style contest with some of the games from the jokes and games forum or any quick and easy game that you can find online
for example start off with a trivia game for a week and the top 150 move to the next round which could be how fast do you type and the top 75 move on again to monkey kickoff where the top 25 move on to something like tower defense
then the top ten move on to another game where a winner would be crowned.

Start with how fast do you type and tower d, I'm best at those :)

I vote for the how fast do you type game too! :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
landlord, I'd cream you :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Just wait :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Wow this is a good idea, however its kind of hard to come up with something 243,223 registered members can have a go at…. :) There were some cool ideas listed, but I think we should stay away from things that limit average users (like myself :) ) can't do. for example, I cant type that fast so there’s no reason that should knock me out of the running right away, someone posted to make the most creative “ we fight malware” sign, well only the staff really do the malware fighting so...

Well so far I think “Print out a picture of the Geeks to Go logo. Take a picture of it somewhere fun or unusual”. Is so far the best idea, but I think we should include no Photoshop, and you have to be in the picture?

Just to throw out there I was thinking along the lines of something like Admin could comprise a list of items and the first member to find, photograph, and upload the pictures to the site wins.

Of course Admin would decide how long the list is, what’s on it, and how long we have to complete it.

For example:

Contest will run from April 26, 2008 through April 30, 2008

Please find and photograph the following items.

1 Sony VAIO VGC-VA11G Media Center PC
2 Porsche 911
3 four leaf clover
4 Playstation 3 Grand Theft Auto 4
5 silver dollar

Now here is the kicker…. You have to be in the picture (it would just be to easy to look them up on line :) )

Edited by BHowett, 26 April 2008 - 03:04 PM.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I don't know anything about cars. I don't have a playstation (the only thing I use for gaming is my computer, and the only things I play are PsyPets, StarCraft, and NetHack. Yeah, I'm kind of old-fashioned, but so what?). And how do you photograph a four-leaf clover with you in the picture? :)

How 'bout a contest to see who can find the weirdest family-friendly picture or something?

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
If we do the avertising campaign that would be fun when I do my runs I can wear a tshirt advertising G2G, some of the runs I run have 30k like the one I did today (half marathon) the Country Music Music marathon. Then theres the Peatch Tree Road rce its a 10 its in ATL and it has 50k people. These marathongs would be a good place to advertise :)

These ideas are getting better and better :)

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

I don't know anything about cars. I don't have a playstation (the only thing I use for gaming is my computer, and the only things I play are PsyPets, StarCraft, and NetHack.

What about a Starcraft competition? :)

Just kidding...A competition that would be fair to everyone: a joke contest! Or maybe a riddle.

If it's a joke contest, the one who posts the best joke(by votation) wins.
If it's a riddle, the one who correctly answers the riddle first or gets the most correct answers by the time the contest ends wins.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
We already had the closest number thing, which I did not win ( I really wanted that lappy).

I think the contest should be something that everyone has an equal chance at, not something that someone might have a greater skill level.

Lets make the contest "GUESS WHAT THE CONTEST IS"

I guess the contest is guess what the contest is :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
If everyone here knew how to play NetHack, a NetHack tourney would be awesome. Unfortunately, I'm about the only NetHacker here :)

I second Harry's vote :)

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

Well so far I think “Print out a picture of the Geeks to Go logo. Take a picture of it somewhere fun or unusual”. Is so far the best idea, but I think we should include no Photoshop, and you have to be in the picture?

Just to throw out there I was thinking along the lines of something like Admin could comprise a list of items and the first member to find, photograph, and upload the pictures to the site wins.

Of course Admin would decide how long the list is, what’s on it, and how long we have to complete it.

For example:

Contest will run from April 26, 2008 through April 30, 2008

Please find and photograph the following items.

1 Sony VAIO VGC-VA11G Media Center PC
2 Porsche 911
3 four leaf clover
4 Playstation 3 Grand Theft Auto 4
5 silver dollar

Now here is the kicker…. You have to be in the picture (it would just be to easy to look them up on line :) )

You raised some good points, but:
  • Not everyone would want to photograph themselves with the logo. E.g, me.
  • The photograph idea is cool, and I really like cars (Porsche 911s aren't that rare), but there are items not everyone can 'reach'. For example we don't have dollars.
  • I don't have a PlayStation either.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
P4270621.JPG

I have lots of dollars :)

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Could do this survivor style. Last Geek Standing? Geek Idol? Lost- the Geek edition? 24 (Malware Edition...basically some computer infection or virus of course), American (Geek) Gladiator...

Anyone...? :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

You raised some good points, but:

• Not everyone would want to photograph themselves with the logo. E.g, me.
  • The photograph idea is cool, and I really like cars (Porsche 911s aren't that rare), but there are items not everyone can 'reach'. For example we don't have dollars.
  • I don't have a PlayStation either.

I was thinking to have the member in the photo just to make sure the photo was taken by the member and not simply found on the internet. I’m sure we could figure out another way to verify the photo was taken by the member.

As far as not having silver dollars or playstations; they were just examples, Admin would pick what’s on the list. But being challenging like that is what would make it fun. I’m sure you could come across a Playstation some where to take a picture of it. ( friends house, Store, etc… ) :)

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
How 'bout a "forum fight" contest where we give everyone mod powers on a single forum, and they have to spam on that forum as much as they can, and delete other peoples' posts, and whoever has the most posts at the end is the winner! :) Maybe not... :whistling

I think a riddle contest would be nice because everyone has equal opportunity but you could just find answers on the Internet. What I would like is a joke contest where you post a joke that's rated out of some number of points, with a "rubric" to have a standardized rating system. For example, spelling and grammar is worth 5 points, how funny it is is worth 20 points, how easy it is to get is worth 10 points, etc. Though I would like a StarCraft competition as well, or maybe a malware-killing contest among the GeekU students, though that wouldn't be for the whole site.