Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Dragon contest feedback wanted!

• Please log in to reply

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

I don't understand how you came to those conclusions? We never stated anything about we would pick a random winner out of a select few. From the rules:

From the pool of contestants who properly enter the logo competition, a random entry will be chosen as the Grand Prize, HP "Dragon" notebook winner...

Nothing was ever said about showing a "geek" type photo, either. Again, from the rules:

Simply print the Geeks to Go logo. Display it in an unusual, creative or funny place and take a picture or video of it. Update: If you don't have a printer, display on a monitor or other device is allowed.

Basically I came to these conclusions through my own foolishness of not reading the rules fully.
All I read was no photo editing.
As for the theme thing it stemmed from this thread and dsenettes post.

i actually like the "where do you geek?" idea (which is what i'm calling admin's idea of the G2G logo in interesting places)

But these thing are my own fault for not reading the rules fully.
Thanks for your time responding to everyones feedback Kat. :)

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If I had it to do all over again, I would have done it exactly the same way.

Photoshopping does not level the playing field, if anything it skews it more towards those who have the money to buy such software and the time to learn how to use it. Having to take a picture keeps us away from copyright infringement and ensures that everyone has equal opportunity to be involved.

The random drawing allowed us to do many things, like allow our staff to be involved. To me it appears as a simple numbers game. As I see it right now, we have 2 unhappy people. Whereas those sites who "judged" the winner based on merit are dealing with hordes of people who were unhappy with the judges decision. Seems like the right choice to me.

Hopefully we can move on to other suggestions/comments now since this one has been covered thoroughly.

This is our first large giveaway. The last one we did wasn't nearly as big. We had things to learn, and next time we will be better because of it. Constructive feedback is what this thread is for, to help us so that next time, we can fix any problems we had. Lets try to keep that in mind for future replies.

Thanks

ScHwErV :)

matt_h

matt_h

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
It was run pretty well. The only thing that slightly annoyed me was how these contests are dominated by 1-post members - though I can't really talk myself considering how long it's been since my last post here (though I did check the homepage from time to time). Some other contests had an activity clause, where the winner had to contribute to the forums as well during the contest time.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Any ideas for future contests?

You could have some contests where the prize could be small like a G2G t-shirt or hat or software like what you did giving away the copies of Vista.
The contests could be "Admin's Favorite Custom Rig", "ScHwErV's Favorite Short Story", "Kat's Favorite Picture", "Wannabe1's Favorite Joke".
I know these contests would not allow everybody to enter but someone who builds a custom rig may not be able to write a good short story or tell a good joke, and having it as one persons favorite would do away with a "Best" contest and stop any issues about people saying the winning entry was not actually the best since it would be one persons personal choice.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

It was run pretty well. The only thing that slightly annoyed me was how these contests are dominated by 1-post members - though I can't really talk myself considering how long it's been since my last post here (though I did check the homepage from time to time). Some other contests had an activity clause, where the winner had to contribute to the forums as well during the contest time.

Most of the 1-post members probably registered on all of the forums to have 31 chances of getting the Dragon instead of one or two. It's a bit cheap, but that's how life works, I guess.

I have a kind of silly contest idea - search the web for the stupidest family-appropriate story or picture you can find, and the admin/mod team judges it. For example...

John Pernicky and friend Sal Hawkins, of the great state of Washington, decided to attend a local Metallica concert at the Amphitheater at Gorge, Washington. Having no tickets (but 18 beers among them) they sat in the parking lot and, after finishing the beer, decided that it would be easy enough to hop over the nine-foot high fence and sneak into the show.
The two friends pulled their pickup truck over to the fence and the plan was for John--100 pounds heavier than Sal-to hop over, and then assist his friend over the fence. Unfortunately for John, there was a 30-foot drop on the other side of the fence. Having heaved himself over, he found himself crashing through a tree. His fall was abruptly halted by a large branch which snagged him by his shorts. Dangling from the tree, with one arm broken, John looked down and saw a group of bushes below him. Figuring the bushes would break his fall, John removed his pocket knife and proceeded to cut away his shorts to free himself from the tree. When finally free, John crashed below into Holly bushes. The sharp leaves scratched his entire body and, now being without his shorts, he was the unwilling victim of a holly branch penetrating his rectal cavity. To make matters worse, his pocket knife proceeded to fall with him and landed three inches into his left thigh.
Seeing his friend in considerable pain and agony, Sal decided to throw him a rope and pull him to safety. However, weighing about 100 pounds less, he decided the best course of action would be to tie the rope to the pickup truck.
This is when things went from bad to worse.
In his drunken state, Sal put the truck into the wrong gear, pressed on the gas, and crashed through the fence, landing on and killing his friend. Sal was thrown from the truck, suffered massive internal injuries and also died at the scene.
Police arrived to find a pickup truck with its driver thrown 100 feet from the vehicle and upon moving the truck, a half naked man, with numerous scratches, a holly stick up his rectum, a knife in his thigh, and a pair of shorts dangling from the tree branches 25 feet in the air.

:) :)

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

The contests could be "Admin's Favorite Custom Rig", "ScHwErV's Favorite Short Story", "Kat's Favorite Picture", "Wannabe1's Favorite Joke".

*ditrackster starts to borrow his sister's cat, his roommate's camera and buy some Hershey's kisses and smudge them around the cat's mouth making it look really cute

Edited by ditrackster, 22 May 2008 - 06:52 PM.

pedroL

pedroL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Besides the "not winning" part (eheh) I think everything was very well planned!

Some of the contestants didn't like the ideia of randomly picking a winner for the first contest, but I don't see were's the problem with that!
If it was a "best video/picture" method there would be many more unhappy contestants and the picking method could be considered unfair! Personal preferences will always be "personal" and never consensual!

I really had fun making my video submission and if that's the only thing I'm getting from a FREE contest, that's more than fine for me!
That 30 minutes I took making the video where very well spent!!! EHEH!

Once again, thanks for the oportunity G2G!

Otto28

Otto28

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Geeks To Go, i applaud you for the way your contest was handled and appreciate the chance to enter.

you asked for suggestions for future contests, so here is my suggestion.

personally, i thought your rules were pretty straight forward and easy to understand so i would use the same criteria used for the Dragon contest, merely submit a printed logo picture (or screen shot). doing so would qualify you to enter into phase two of the contest.

the second phase would involve a printed logo pic in a public setting, the only caveat being that it has to be in a public place, not in a driveway or backyard,or dorm room. somewhere where it could actually be observed by the public. the contest judges have the final say as to if the entry satisfies their idea of "public" location. in my mind a cubicle in an office building is really not public. pass this phase go onto phase 3.

so you've demonstrated that you know the site (phase 1) and now are doing your part to spread the gospel (phase 2). phase 3 would require a demonstration of knowing your way around the site. it could be a hidden post, it could be a 300 word essay on the various threads that you find most compelling or even a particular post that helped you or could help others. this phase would not be judged, per se, but would be an additional step for contestants qualifying for this phase. the first 3 phases demonstrate a committment to not only win, but to the site itself. by now you have probably weeded out a number of entrants who are unwilling to think past the first day of a contest.

phase 4, present a "problem" to the remaining contestants, one that can be solved by using site content, but also allow for individual contestant input for a solution. using the site to solve the problem proves the value of the site to the contestant and those following the contest. the individual contestant input from this phase could be used as a tie breaker in the next phase.

phase 5 could involve creative effort, and you have to applaud anyone willing to put in the work to get this far. these people are serious about winning something and not just hoping for a lightning strike. the creative effort could be anything really, from good post or post reply, a photo or video, or a jingle. whatever, the purpose here is to allow the participant to take a stake in the outcome of the contest through creative effort.

phase 6, final selections and random drawing. the creatvity of an entry could be "scored" on an established scale, lets say 1-5 on any varitey of scoring elements (creativity, effort, impact, complexity, etc). this could give a little extra "weight" to a submission that clearly is superior to other submissions (say comparing a billboard ad to a classified ad). i would also suggest a "weighted" component taking into consideration the opinions of the site users. this would allow the contest to continue to generate "buzz" and hopefully drive traffic to the site as contestants enlist the aid of family and friends for high marks. any ties could be settled by the tie breaker in phase 4. the jugdes input would by the heaviest of the weighting to give them control of the contest they sponser (thats only fair). then of the remaining qualified entrants, do a random drawing, but some entrants may be assigned more than 1 random number for demonstrating excellence in any of the above phases.

i realize the HDX Dragon contest had a limited duration and a contest like the one suggested above might not have been practical for a short time frame. i like the multi-faceted approach because it does reward effort and desire to win above luck. that being said, its only an invited suggestion and is not an indictment of your last contest.

PS- if this turns out to be your best suggestion, do i win a T-Shirt? lol

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I like 1 and 2. The idea of ensuring the picture is taken in a public place would certainly make the entries more fun and interesting. It would probably make them more fun to take as well.

I even like 3, although that could be a contest on its own rather than bundled with the others.

4 and 5 would be difficult to manage and judge. We only have 4 admin staffers, who are also only here voluntarily.

6 would be so time consuming and would again put the full weight of the competition on the relatively small Admin team.

The great thing about the random drawing is that it allowed us freedom to continue to do our daily jobs, while still running the contest. All we had to do each day was remove any inappropriate content and any disqualified entries. This was fairly quick. It took us a good part of an afternoon to come up with a consensus on the most creative entries for this competition, and this was just images/videos, not all the other stuff you recommend in 3,4, and 5!

I do thank you for your time to think of these things. You've given us a few things to mull over and consider for the next time. Great feedback!

Keep em coming!

Otto28

Otto28

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

6 would be so time consuming and would again put the full weight of the competition on the relatively small Admin team.

The great thing about the random drawing is that it allowed us freedom to continue to do our daily jobs, while still running the contest.

oops, i guess i forgot that you folks have lives outside of the website, my bad!

but seriously, only 4 of you guys? how the heck do only 4 of you accomplish all that gets done around here?

i like what i see here and plan to stick around. came to win a laptop, staying for awesome content, thanks!!

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

but seriously, only 4 of you guys? how the heck do only 4 of you accomplish all that gets done around here?

It's called dedication. :)

i like what i see here and plan to stick around.

Would you like to fight malware? :):yes::):yes::):yes::):yes::):yes::(:yes::wacko::yes::yes::yes::P:yes::)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

There are four administrators. There are many others that have important roles here. We decided only administrators would run the contest, allowing others to participate.

Currently:
4 admins
4 global moderators
12 GeekU moderators
3 Tech Academy moderators
10 forum moderators
A few dozen active experts, malware and tech staff
In addition to IRC chat staff, visting staff, and consultants.

Without all of these volunteers, we wouldn't be able to offer the free service that we offer. :)

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Youse finished judging whoh wont Vista ultimate?

I can't find a thread :) I WANNA SEE WHO WON! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The "Most Creative" winners were announced HERE.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Currently:
4 admins
4 global moderators
12 GeekU moderators
3 Tech Academy moderators
10 forum moderators
A few dozen active experts, malware and tech staff
In addition to IRC chat staff, visting staff, and consultants.

Without all of these volunteers, we wouldn't be able to offer the free service that we offer. :)

Hey, don't forget all the Apprentices! :)

I see people complaining that because it was random, it should have been a simple "Add Reply" and type "hello" to have an entry. I'm sorry, but where's the fun in that? We're geeks, so let's do something geeky. Let's make it look geeky. This forum ain't called Geeks to Go for nothing...

I enjoyed looking at everybody's entries. I truly wish I would have had the time to make my original idea work, but that's my fault - my personal and business life is very busy right now. It probably wouldn't have won anyway, but like I have mentioned - it would have been fun. :)

I also see talk about winning a shirt or hat... Can we order something like this yet? I wanna buy a hat with my username stitched on it. :)

Troy