Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Olympics?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MatrixEquilibrium

MatrixEquilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
The Games this year, as most of you know, are in Beijing, China.

Anyone watch the Olympics?
Who are you rooting for?
Favorite competition?
I personally love archery, but I haven't managed to watch it, that is - if it already took place.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I watch when i can, and try to catch the high lights :) I'm rooting for USA, and my favorite is beach vollyball :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
OMG did you guys see Phelp's 'Fly win tonight?! AMAZING. Absolutely. It *looked* like the other guy won. Good thing there's sensors in the pool walls to tell them who wins. :)

Unbelievable.

oh. right.

*Kat loves watching the Olympics.

Go USA!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Athletics is my favourite, particularly the triple jump, high jump, javelin, those sorts of things.

I also like the diving, it was one of the most fun things I ever did for high-school sport. I even did a "proper" dive from the 10m platform, phew! That took a minute to work up the guts for it! :)

Although it's a bit hard to follow the olympics when you don't have a TV. :)

And I guess I'm going for India, apparently they're the poorest-performing country at the Olympics, so they need all the help they can get! :)

*troy yells "GO AUSTRALIA"

Edited by troy, 16 August 2008 - 03:22 AM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I like athletics as well. I was member of the track and field varsity here in my university. That's why I'm ditrackster. :)
I've already stopped since I like GeekU more (hahaha! nah, it was because of my thesis. I quit track before joining GeekU). I like 400m and 800m cause that's what I run. ;)

Did you guys see the opening ceremony?! It was AMAZING! :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah, ditrackster, that makes sense... I always wondered what your name meant!

I liked the 800m and 1500m, for some reason I always could just push myself the last 50m to sprint (well a buggered-kind of sprint), and I usually came in first, but then I went State and got wasted, those guys were good! Same with triple jump, always managed to get ahead, but State just killed me, at least another metre over me!

Now I'm just an old slob, I don't have time for exercise, I'm too busy doing other unimportant things... :)

Troy

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Yay for China! Really impressed with Li Xuanxu in the 800m semifinals, she overtook and came in second and got into the finals ranking world 5th! :) I was really shocked to know that she is only 14.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Wow...fourteen and already a top world class athlete huh?
Too bad for the Philippines that Manny Pacquiao and Paeng Nepomuceno can't play in the Olympics.
We have yet to win a gold medal... :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Very cool watching the men swimmers win the 4 x 100 relay. It was seriously amazing. I will be honest, I had a couple tears in my eyes watching Michael's reaction, and his mom's. His mom just seems like an awesome lady. Was neat to watch history being made. :)

Did you see that race... 50m maybe, or 100? I don't remember. I know that there was a Jamaican guy in it they call "lightning" who won. THat dude is crazy fast... and has a HUGE ego. Celebrating and hamming for the cameras before he even crossed the finish line, then posing as much as possible for pictures. :) It's great that he's so fast, yes. But I can't stand the ones with the huge egos. I'd rather watch someone like Phelps, or Nastia and Shawn (gymnasts) who are humbled by what they've done.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I loved the women's gymnastics finals. It came so close!!

Phelps's 100 fly was AWESOME, I agree with Kat, it really did look like the other guy won! :)

Advertisements

MatrixEquilibrium

MatrixEquilibrium

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I'm torn between rooting for USA and China, I'd like either to win. I was reading about the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games, the sports are all..snowy. :)

Freakshowo

Freakshowo

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
my faviorate is gymnastics, so gorgerous, i watched it on tv

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Liu Xiang injured right before start of race
As an Asian and a track fan, I am devastated..... I can't even find an emoticon that fits my emotions!

I feel worse than what I feel when I fail a subject....really....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the opening ceremony was awesome....it's amazing that most of it was done with people (basically everything that wasn't that giant LCD screen...which was also freakin sweet)

...anyone else feel like some of the judging MIGHT be swayed in the chinese direction in some events (i mainly got that feeling during the gymnastics stuff)?....also...if all of the chinese women's team are actually "of competition age"...i'll eat my shoe

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

the opening ceremony was awesome....it's amazing that most of it was done with people (basically everything that wasn't that giant LCD screen...which was also freakin sweet)

...anyone else feel like some of the judging MIGHT be swayed in the chinese direction in some events (i mainly got that feeling during the gymnastics stuff)?....also...if all of the chinese women's team are actually "of competition age"...i'll eat my shoe

Looks like you'll stay hungry today! :)

I like the swimming and marathon event!This Phelps is "Awesome",8 goldmedals!!!! I was in Munich,when Mark Spitz won his 7 Goldmedals.