Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply

rocksparow

rocksparow

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Those are the awesome tips as well as tutorials for preventing Malware and safe computing. Really backups are very important that can help for the further work. Well, malware is served up from discrete addresses on the internet so it becomes necessary to prevent it. Safe computing needs a practice to keep systems patched, updated and blocked which is very important.

Advertisements

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Very nice guide, I would however remove the Sunbelt Firewall suggestion due to the fact they will be not be updating it to work on Windows 7 and the only version that will work on it will be the one that comes with the Sunbelt AV.

They have also said Sunbelt firewall will only be getting one more update and that will be it's last one.

adamg60804

adamg60804

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The best tips and website!

Can I go ahead and download everything the article suggested?

Can we download all these programs without them conflicting with each other? Sometimes the line is blur as to what is anti-virus and what is anti-everything else.
I take it we can have several malware programs downloaded. I know we cannot have more than one anti-virus (this includes firewalls?).

Just not sure what to download from the list of things suggested.

Many, many thanks!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes you can pretty much download everything unless it says to only install one of a certain program, eg : anti-virus or firewall

adamg60804

adamg60804

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, thanks
How do we know which of these prgrams have real-time protectin that will conflict?

Thank you,

SpeedyG

reklawas

reklawas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just wanted to express my gratitude to Rorschach112 for his list of tips. I have gone thru the recommended procedures and was able to eliminate the security problems, spyware, etc. on my computer system thus removing an area of major stress in my life.

I look forward to an updated tip list in the future.

reklaw

oneeyejack

oneeyejack

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Wow! A great thread. I think you covered every thing. I'm running XP3. I have Avira free AV, with Online Armor free firewall, and malwarebytes running in real time. I use Mozilla Firefox browser with WOT and No Script Add Ons. I use Tor network to surf privately. I use Macrium Reflect to back up my OS when ever I make changes or at least once a month. I can restore my OS to a new cold HD in 45 minutes or less. I use CCleaner and RegSeeker to keep my PC clean and running smooth. I feel very confident with all this, but I know xxxx can happen. My PC is 6 years old. I believe I have done every thing I need to do to prevent malware and safe computing. What do you think??
Oneeyejack!!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Looks good

I'd just be careful using RegSeeker, I managed to damage my own PC using that for "cleanup" before.

oneeyejack

oneeyejack

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Looks good

I'd just be careful using RegSeeker, I managed to damage my own PC using that for "cleanup" before.

Hello Rorchachach. Thank you for your reply. I'm very careful using RegSeeker.I also have my OS backed up with Macrium Reflect. I can restore my OS in 45 minutes or less. I've never had any problems using RegSeeker, but there is always a first. I use to back up my registry with ERUNT, but M R backs up my whole OS in 10 minutes, so that's what I use now. I have a external USB that I keep my back up images on
Thank you for your thread. It is very good. Thank you for your reply also. I really like this forum, and may add more posts in the future when I have time.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Update :

I included Chrome in the browser recommendations, and KeyScrambler in the list of add-ons

Advertisements

Mfighter

Mfighter

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. This is a great resource. I am securing my office PC's and I plan to install

Firefox or Chrome
Avast
Sunbelt
Super Antispyware
Malware Bytes
Spyware Blaster
TFC
Spyware Guard
Keyscrambler
Open DNS
Foxit
FileHippo Update Checker
Recovery Console
Drive Image

I will also make a revovery disc and make an image of all important drives.

1) Do I need anything else such as software or to turn off any settings or extra sofeware that came with my PC's?

2) I am running fairly new PC's with windows 7 but would all these programs work on older PC's say 512 mb mem and 2 ghz pentium 4?

Thanks.

Ehsanit

Ehsanit

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Can I suggest adding to the Advanced Tips disabling Autorun to prevent infection via flash disks or most other removable media.
Also Sandboxie has that annoying 5 second delay before running programs if you're using the free version after 30 days. It is still legal, but it's a bit of a pain for general usage.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
to be honest i just ghosted my harddrive into a VHD file and installed feronics deep freeze on the vhd. no need for sandbox software just use a frozen virtual copy of your system.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello from an old fan of this forum. I'm planning to upgrade my OS to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I'm using Opera browser and I have bought subscription for ESET Smart Security Kit. I also have about 3 internal HDD and another 2 externat, all addind up to 4TB.

Until now, I was using these programs for the protection of my computer:
ATF Cleaner
Ad-aware (Free edition)
Spybot Search & Destroy
ESET Smart Security Kit
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Free edition)
Spyware Blaster
Spywareguard
FileHippo Update Checker
Auslogic Disc Defrag
TuneUp Utilities
and Driver Genius (Professional edition)

Should I replace ATF with TFC? What about Ad-aware and Spybot? Are they still a good choice or MalwareBytes AntiMalware & SUPERAntiSpyware are better?
And finally, what's your opinion about TuneUp and Driver Genius?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
anarxaki

You have posted in the HOW TO GUIDES AND TUTORIALS forum.
May I suggest edit this post to indicate that you have now reposted in the XP forum., and DO SO.
I will then attempt to advise you.