Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Desktop is gone

• Please log in to reply

jllaz

jllaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I logged in as Administrator in Normal Mode. I Tried the restore so far is not working. Also I still can not access the task manager from C/A/D keys, and when I right clik the green icon on the task bar it doesn't respond. the internet icon still has a red cross over it even though I'm able to access the internet. I also have a program (AUTOCAD) that I'm having problems with. If I click on the shorcut instead of launching the program the install shild starts and tries to intall it again but it fails and freezes on the screen. This is some of the things I notice and maybe you can help me with. I'm going to call it a night I thank you for all the help and hopefully you be available tomorrow or whenever you have time. Good Night.

Advertisements

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
I need to give it a rest for today too. Will try again tomorrow.

You didn't mention - was low-res logon required?

jllaz

jllaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Well, I really don't know. I don't think so. I change the resolution back to high. logged off (hard shut down) I can not shut down/restart any other way and logon in Normal Mode and it fell. same black screen no desktop. Hard shutdown again, restared and it came up ok.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Hi jllaz,

Please open a Run dialog (WinKey+R) and type msconfig then hit Enter.
On the General tab, select Normal startup, click OK, the Restart.
Please do not do a hard shutdown unless absolutely required - give ample time for the system to restart on it's own (I've seen it take upwards of 30 minutes to do so). Hard shutdowns don't allow for processes to stop, registry hives to properly save and unload, etc - and can introduce further corruption.
Once back in normal mode, attempt to set a System Restore point again, this time right clicking the System Restore menu item and selecting Run as Administrator.
Please do not attempt to run any other programs in the meantime - then can only place more load on the system at this time, which is not helpful.

In the event it becomes necessary, what kind of media do you have for re-installing Windows, eg; Recovery disc, Operating System disc, Recovery Partition?
Do you have your personal data backed up?

jllaz

jllaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Noah, I logged off but I had to do a hard shutdown, I gave it two hours but it just hung at logging off screen. I have left it logging off overnight and I still have to do a hard shutdown. I did logged in in Normal Mode, tried the System Restore command as you specified but it did not respond, waited a while and tried again and a message cameup saying that the program is allready running. I thought I had left my recovery disk at the job site but I can't find it, so it is lost for now. I do not have any other System recovery means. I do have must of my data stored in a different hard drive, except for a few items that I'm getting ready to transffer in case it needs to be done. I was able to repair my AutoCad program but, now it takes a long time to become operational but once it does it works ok. I'm leaving for work and I'm not sure I'll have internet access out on the field (I did not have access last week). If I don't communicate with you tomorrow, I'll do it towards the end of the week when I'm back home. Thanks for all your help and if new ideas develop or if you need a new report please let me know. Thanks again!!!!

jllaz

jllaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Noah, I'm at my job site and I was able to connect to the intenet, so if you have a task for me let me know.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Hi jllaz,

Since we've been unable to get at least a system restore point created, I think it best we wait until you have backed up all media you want saved and have re-installation media available/ready before trying to make any further changes. In the meantime, I'd like you to download SIW (the standalone version will work fine) and run it. Once open and fully loaded, click File>Create log
Save the log to your desktop, then attach it to an email to me, with the subject SIW-GTG. Do not attach it here, as it contains information that need not be shared publicly. That log will give me a good deal of information about your computer to be used in futher diagnosis.

Did the logoff/shutdown problem begin about the same time as the other recent problems, or has it been doing that longer?

Laptops, as with desktops, collect dust in the cooling vents and fan(s), causing them to retain more heat than they should. Higher than normal temperatures can contribute to a number of problems, and it may be a contributor to some of the problems you're experiencing. If I can find a good set of instructions for doing so, and it doesn't seem to difficult a task, are you mechanically inclined enough to do some disassembly to get inside to the cooling fan and do some housecleaning?

jllaz

jllaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Noah, I downloaded SIW, run it but it freezes. The information window shows Processing: Operating System but it freezes at Progress 3%. I left it running all day today and it only got to 3%. I rebooted, run it again, it's been three hrs. and still at 3% and I see no disk activity. I will back up the rest of my data and clean my computer when I get home as you sugested. I contacted Toshiba to see if I can get a replacement Recovery Disk and they can not supply it(vendor restrictions) so the only venue with them is to send the loptop in for repair. I will look for the disk more thoroughly this weekend. If I'm unable to find it do you have an idea of what my options are? Please let me know, thanks.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Hi jllaz,

Unfortunate that SIW won't run. :)

Run msconfig again and check Selective Startup, then uncheck Load Startup items.
Click OK and restart.
Connect your external drive (you'll need enough space for an image of the hard drive)
Once back in normal mode, click Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Backup Status and Configuration.
Click Complete PC Backup in the left pane, then Create a backup now.
You system should be scanned for a destination and find your external drive.
Proceed from there to create an image.

Let me know if successful.

Try SIW again too - the current boot configuration might allow it to run.

jllaz

jllaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Noah, I changes my configuration as you instructed. SIW did not worked as before. Tried to create a backup, the Restore Files button work ok. but the Backup Files does not respond. So I copy all my Documents and My Files Folders to my external drive. Any other folder or file I need to save? Thanks

Advertisements

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
No way for me to know what else you might want backed up, but in addition to documents, most folks would also have pictures, music, maybe some emails, etc. Any purchased software that requires you to enter a license # - you would want to save those numbers. You mentioned having autocad, so any drawing files should be backed up as well.

Any luck finding the recovery media?

Where you at with checking/cleaning the cooling fan/heatsink/vents?

jllaz

jllaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Noah I hope you had a nice Christmas, or holydays, or ????? I did look for the Recovery Disk, no luck. As for cleaning the fan, thanks for reminding me I'll start doing that right now. Do you by any chance know where I can purchase a Recovery Disk, I vaguely remember reading of a web site where they can be purchased but I can not recall the link to it.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Check here
Are you certain the laptop doesn't have a recovery partition as mentioned in that link? You should be able to find instructions for accessing the recovery partition here, and possibly some instructions for maintenance procedures, like getting to the processor/heatsink.

While you're checking/cleaning, I'd suggest also reseating the memory modules.

If there's no change after cleaning, see if SIW will populate in safe mode.