How to fix Google Redirects

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

TwoSlow

TwoSlow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So one could just run it and be happy again?

I just bought Malawarebytes.

Prevx gave me an alert when MBAM was scanning. Is it OK to allow Prevx to try and clean it? I ask cause I doubt it will work.

Edited by TwoSlow, 09 June 2010 - 10:59 AM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Am not sure what you are referring to, its perfectly fine to run GooredFix if that is what you are asking

I would recommend you not use PrevX and instead use TDSSKiller as I know that works with no problems.

MrsCurrieQueen

MrsCurrieQueen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OMG! Thank you so much for this information. My computer was a victim of the Win32/Alureon virus weeks ago. I had tried EVERYTHING to fix the problem. I was able to run the free Malware removal toolkit from Microsoft, and it deleted the virus. However, the toolkit failed to stop the annoying redirects. :)

I was finally able to stop the redirects by following the instructions from this forum. My computer is FINALLY back to normal. Thank you so much for your help. ALL OF YOU who helped put this info together are truly appreciated. I will recommend this site to everyone I know... :)

nadmaj

nadmaj

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
unfortunately I still have the virus - Nany more solutions please

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the requested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post the required logs, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

Best of Luck.

Cheers,
SweetTech.

EricF

EricF

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I followed these directions.

Not only did it eliminate Google redirects, but also allowed Microsoft Update to work. This had previously been blocked.

Thanks,
Eric

kmc817

kmc817

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been trying to fix this for months. I finally found your site and it solved the problem in about 10 minutes. Amazing!!! Thanks so much for the help.

bamiamtou

bamiamtou

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
I have used webroot, malware, OTL, combofix.exe, CCleaner, for this virus and when I am finished I open the task manager and check the processes and I still have the virus. here is my latest scan from OTL.

What I did not understand is what to do at the end of the scan after I copied them.

Edited by Rorschach112, 24 June 2010 - 12:33 PM.
removed logs

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
@bamianmtou,

Your logs have been removed from your post as this is not the correct forum to post them in. Please see below:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the requested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post the required logs, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

Best of Luck.

Cheers,
SweetTech.

MGS_rocks

MGS_rocks

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks guys for the tools and removal instructions. . .was oh so close to reformatting my HD when I got the AV security trojan, and got left with a redirect after I removed AV. Read the removal instructions and followed them to the letter and it worked brillantly! FASTER, CLEANER, BETTER!!! Awesome guys, keep up the great work. :)

Edited by MGS_rocks, 24 June 2010 - 08:47 PM.

Advertisements

nadmaj

nadmaj

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks you guys for helping me. So far so good no redirections and my updates has started to work again.

My laptop is much faster now and working as it should - nearly throw it out the window......

Brilliant work :) :)

Vger

Vger

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for this thread. It has helped me no end, and in that spirit I want to share what happened to me (and my own observations) in case it helps others. I may be talking too soon, but after breaking the habits of a lifetime I followed ALL recommendations at the start of this thread, in the order listed, and don't appear to have any more of these annoying redirects happening. The things I noticed.
1. Some time ago I updated to IE 8, did not like it and rolled back to IE 7. I disabled IE 8 from my automatic updates, and this disabled Automatic Updates completely. They weren't happening and I did not notice.
2. I was using the Windows Software Firewall on Windows XP Home Edition, plus AVG Pro, plus the hardware firewall in our router.
3. Over the past few days I noticed the odd behaviour beginning to occur with redirects from Google links but also the occasional pop-up (with pop-up blocker turned on).
4. I ran a full virus scan with AVG Pro (nothing), and ran an AVG Pro Root Kit Scan (nothing again).
5. I searched for Microsoft Updates, XP Updates etc, but whenever clicking on any of those links I was ALMOST ALWAYS redirected - often to a page which was a mix of Google results and Ask Jeeves results.
6. I did finally manage to get the Microsoft Updates page and downloaded the updates, leaving my PC run whilst I was away from it. I assumed (wrongly) that it had completed when I returned. No updates had been downloaded (as I now know).
7. I then came here, and followed all of the advice. Since then no redirects and all links to Microsoft pages from search results are working. I then downloaded and installed 46 waiting updates.
8. To make sure that the automatic updates continue to work I upgraded to IE 8 It's got problems, but at least my automatic updates will now work correctly again.

Thanks to everyone here for all of the help provided to me and I hope some of my observations may help others.

Vger

velarie2112

velarie2112

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks so much for the great tools and advice I find at GeeksToGo. However, I am having a problem with the Google Redirects and followed all the directions on this page until I got to the TDSSKiller. Which doesn't run on x64 systems. Do you possibly have another program or link? I'm running Windows Vista.

Thanks,
velarie2112

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
@velarie2112,

Best of Luck.

Cheers,
SweetTech.

arsegon

arsegon

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just another big thanks to add to the plethora of accolades here. Recently lost my C: drive due to hardware failure. Had backups. Installed, partitioned and formatted a new disk I had laying about. Installed XP Pro (hate Vista and have not yet tried W7), SP3 and immediatley went to Mozilla to download and install FireFox. Also hate Windoze Exploiter.. Once Firefox was up I went to McAfee to login and restore my anti virus software.

Somewhere in this brief as possible on line process the machine got infected (probably by some Exploiter weakness)with the Google redirect problem. This drove me insane for a good three days. Found and followed Rorschach112's excellent instructions and it would appear the problem is now solved. No redirects in several hours of use and before it was happening every 10 or 15 minutes.

In my case the sites were random. Disappointing that MalwareBytes and McAfee did not detect and correct this seemingly common problem but from reading all these posts I see that this infection is well designed to avoid detection and removal. I am still not sure if TDSSKill fixed it or the combination of running OTM and GooredFix. I had tried GooredFix before with no success.

In any case, it is gone I think (I hope!) and good riddance. The delinquents that create these global nuisances really should think twice about such wasted talent and get a life.

Thanks to the generous volunteers at Geekstogo for this website and all that it does. Awesome work, awesome concise instructions and best of all, the solution works. Also thanks to Kaspersky labs for TDSSKiller script.

Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.