Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error messages upon startup

• Please log in to reply

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Trend Micro is messing with the winsock settings - run winsock XP fix again

To be honest I would ask for my money back and replace Trend with another AV - I will search for this problem

Is I-Tunes working after the update ?

This is obviously an ongoing problem http://community.tre...-down/td-p/8182

Advertisements

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I never had these particular problems with Trend Micro before. My computer came with a 3-year subscription, and I never had any infections. Then when it ran out last December, I renewed, because it seemed to work so well. Maybe it's not such a good option anymore. I'm OK with getting rid of it and trying something else. Do you recommend anything in particular?

I never got to the point of installing iTunes yet. I was trying to make sure my AV program was working. I'm in the process of installing iTunes 10 now, and it seems to be installing OK. I'll let you know.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Well there are several free versions on the market , I prefer Avast but there is also Avira and AVG

Let me know which you would like and I will take you through it. But be prepeared to lose your internet again as Trend is removed

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OK, I will look into those and let you know which one.

I did try installing iTunes, and it got through most of it, but I got a message that part of it failed to install, and then when I tried to run it, it wouldn't open.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It may be that the system just needs a really good clean out. How long has XP been installed on this system ? Also this is of a concern

Drive C: | 69.82 Gb Total Space | 3.43 Gb Free Space | 4.92% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Is there any way you can remove at least 4Gb of data from your system as at the moment there is insufficient space for programmes to unpack and install properly. I will clear some space for you now - but if you could backup or remove a reasonable amount we may be able to see some progress

Looking at that I am a happy bunny :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove along with ERUNT. But they may be useful tools to keep

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Posted Image Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application. Beware it is NOT supported for use in 9x or ME and probably will not install in those systems

Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 21.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u21-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u21-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")

SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes: It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe :)

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Ok, I'll get to work on clearing some space. I've had the computer for almost 4 years, and it came loaded with XP.

I've looked at reviews on the free AV programs, and it looks like Avast has the highest ratings, so I'll probably go with that one.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you clear sufficient space by uninstalling no longer used programmes and backing up to disc any photo's, documents that you no longer use daily then that may clear a lot of problems

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I cleared a lot of space. I think I have 13 or 16 gigs free now, but that computer is so frozen up right now that I can't check it. It's really not letting me do anything at all. I actually turned it on to transfer my photos to a flash drive so I could free up another 3 gigs, and it took 10 minutes to open the photos folder, and I've spent the last 15 trying to get the flash drive folder to open. That's how it's been all day. I can't imagine that it would let me run a defrag in its current state or any of the other things you suggested. Any ideas where to go from here?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets reduce the start up items for now, and then using Puran defrag select a boot time scan
[attachment=44743:Untitled.jpg]

To try and ease the startup try this

Download Startup Control Panel here
Instal and you will find a startup icon in the control panel - run this
  • In the HKLM tab, you may disable (be careful --> "disable") all the entries except your security software
  • In the HKCU tab, you may disable all entries.
  • In the StartUp tab, you may disable all entries.
Note : if you notice that some programs no longer run, you can enable them again by running Startup Control Panel, selecting the entry and choosing Run Now.
If you are in doubt with something, don't hesitate to ask :)

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Just an update: I installed the startup control panel and now I'm running Puran defrag. It's been in the "filling gaps" phase for a few hours now and only at 30% so I guess it'll be awhile. Assuming this finally finishes running, what is the next step? Thanks.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Once you have completed the defrag let me know how it is running :)

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi. It seems a little better overall...it doesn't crash anymore. It's still pretty slow. The antivirus program still doesn't load properly. I'd be fine with getting rid of Trend Micro and using the free AV program you recommende.d I haven't tried to reinstall iTunes again. Should I do that? I tried to play something with windows media player again, and I got a message that it wasn't installed properly either. It's also prompting me to install windows updates, but I didn't want to do that before checking with you first.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try the other AV programme
Download the Avast set up from here to your desktop
Disconnect from the Internet
Uninstall Trend Micro by using the Add/remove programmes in the control panel
Run the Trend Micro removal tool
You may then need to run the Winsock fix again

Then run the Avast set up programme

Once you have installed the programme double click the orange ball in your tray and select maintenance
Click on subscription
Click on register
Fill in the small form and registration will then be applied

Next reinstall I-tunes by updating

magaggie

magaggie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
OK, Trend Micro is uninstalled, and Avast is running. I tried reinstalling iTunes. When I ran the itunes.exe, it asked if I wanted to repair or remove, so I chose repair, but once that finished, I opened iTunes, and I got the error messages that iTunes was not installed correctly. I tried the process again, chose repair, and it appeared to install successfully, but I got the same error message.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is this the latest Itunes version 10 ?