Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Build crashes

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
:D
The first time I tried running the windows upgrade I got the BSOD. The second time it got further (to the 2nd or 3rd step) and I got a message saying:

File may be Corrupt or Missing"

Error Code: 0x80070570

Then it said it was restoring my old Windows 7.

Edited by rhymin, 18 October 2010 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm I'm beginning tot think you may have a bad burn then.
Another question have you run the memtest86 program yet? I realize you did the individual stick pulling one out but i would like to see the test run to make sure. It would not surprise me if both sticks have issues.
The reason I ask is because I see some memory management issues.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Okay I am about to run memtest but I have one question...do I have to run it with 1 stick installed or can I leave all 4 sticks installed? I have 4 x 2 GB modules. The reason I am confused is because in the instructions it says.... B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...run memtest... then it says
"The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:"

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Another thing I am starting to realize is that it seems like it crashes a lot more often when I have 2 monitors plugged in rather than just 1...it still crashes with 1 plugged in but not as much.... I'm not sure if this sheds anymore light but just thought I would let you know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Test all the memory at one time. If you get a fail then you will have to take two out and do two at a time till you narrow it down to the one causing the issue.
This will take awhile so don't be in a hurry.
The test is very thorough so it does take sometime to get through one complete pass.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have one bad stick of RAM. I tested all 4 for starters, saw some errors, then tested two at a time. The first two were fine, then I tested 1 at a time after that and found 1 stick to have about 11 or 12 errors. Hopefully I don't crash anymore after removing that stick from the slot. Thank you so much for helping me to find out one of my sticks needs sent back....much much appreciated man!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well that is great to hear.
You still may experience a issue but with the bad stick out we can correct it now.
Just let me know if you have any further issues and even if you don't.
Hopefully this may be the problem and you won't need the PSU.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
No crash after a day which is a very good sign. I was wondering should I get a new psu anyways? Isn't the one I have faulty or something and can cause other parts to fry as well? If that's the case then I would like to protect my pc and get a reliable part...$110 is something I can get away with especially if it makes my PC last a lot longer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I saw and showed you that the rail was not right. If it were me... Yes I would replace it and keep the old one for emergency use just in case.
I can't say with 100% assurance that it is not part of the issue.
I myself see nothing wrong with having a newer more reliable PSU in your system and a backup just in case. :D

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks a lot for everything! There's no way I would have came close to solving this by myself lol. I'm gonna go with the psu like you recommended, to be on the safe side...I spent this much $ why not spend a little more on reliability. Thanks again!!! :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I spent this much $ why not spend a little more on reliability

That is the bottom line all else aside. Why spend good money for your system and put a sub-standard PSU in that could cause more damage then just not working correctly.
I think you've made the right choice for what it's worth. Please let me know how it all works once you get the new PSU in and the system is running.