Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format and reinstall XP error

• Please log in to reply

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks so much for your time and patience with me ... you think the TOSHIBA HDD2H85 is a good replacement hard drive? If you do I will order it tomorrow and let you know when it arrives!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is the closest to what you have now but it is 160 gigs where your original is only 80.
That should give you lots of space and freedom you didn't have with the original.
I think since the Toshiba you have has lasted as long as it has then using their drives would be a good choice.
Yes go for it. Just one question though, The XP installation disk you have, is it SP2 or SP3?

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
sounds good to me ... but its more for my niece and her mother that will experience the space and freedom! Not sure which to be honest with you ... the cd I got didn't work so just used a cd I had with Windows XP Pro ... it doesn't say on it if it has SP2 or SP3. I have them sending me another cd ... that one has SP3 on it when I get it. That cd when I put it in rumbles when it tries to read it :D ... comes up bad cd and to change it ... so I to use one I had from my old computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I just want to make sure we take out any variables and with you getting a new XP cd that will help out a lot also. SP3 will be great and it will see the full capacity of the drive so we won't have to worry about any extra steps when doing the installation. :D

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
sorry to be such a pain ... but was going to order the TOSHIBA HDD2H85 hard drive from Newegg when I noticed it was a SATA drive ... I believe mine has the IDE hard drive??? I took it out and it says its a Seagate Momentus 5400 2 ... 60 GB AT disc drive ... ultra ATA ... s/n 3LF1MXE5 ... could you please help me with a compatible hard drive to replace this one? size is not really an issue as they have an external they use a lot.

Thanks a million!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry about that. I missed that one for sure. Try this one HERE.
It's a Samsung Spinpoint 160 gig ATA drive for 59.99 plus .99 cents for shipping for a total of 60.98

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
It's ordered! Thanks a million ... will let you know when it arrives!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I look forward to your receiving it and we can continue from there. Great job so far. :D

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok ... I am back ... got the new hard drive and installed it ... put in xp disc and it started loading ... did the format and partitioned it then clicked to install xp ... everything was going well ... now it says custsat.dll on Messenger is needed and I don't know what to do! Any suggestions???

Thanks a million!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK memory checks out good and you have a new hd so we can say that isn't the issue.
Now Where did the XP disk come?

Advertisements

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
she bought it off ebay :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is starting to make sense now.
Can you attach a picture of the actual cd she bought please.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
how do i do that? i click on insert picture and nothing happens

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you using the Full Editor?
Check out this topic HERE that explains how to upload a picture with your post. Most important is that the picture be saved as JPEG file type or it may be to big to attach.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
still cant get it ... says attach file and I browse and click to attach and it doesnt work :D

Attached Thumbnails

• xp cd2.jpg
  • xp cd2.jpg