Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format and reinstall XP error

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK they appear to be genuine but IMHO it sounds like a bad disk or maybe scratched or dirty.

Advertisements

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
they actually have sent 4 cd's ... thinking it was bad luck with the cds ... now i dont know what to think ... they claim it doesnt matter she has an HP and it says its for Dell???

Edited by jclynn67, 02 April 2011 - 04:55 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh yes it does make a difference cause it will be loading drivers for a Dell and they won't match the HP.
Now it all does make sense what is going on.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
they claim it has been installed on HP's before ... what can we do now? she doesnt have the money to buy another

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can ask another mod about it but i have not ever seen a recovery disk from one manufacturer used and work on another manufacturers system.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
would appreciate any help I can get ... anything else we can do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a thought but is it possible to borrow a XP of the same version ...Home, Media or Pro?
Not only does it have to be the right version but it has to be a OEM and not a full Retail version
We could use it to reload the system and use her key code to activate it with no problem.
I myself would suggest contacting the seller and asking for either the correct recovery disks or for a refund based on the fact there is no way it can work.
Not only are the manufacturers of the system different but the make and model of every system is different within each manufacturer. They require completely different drivers for each system. This in itself would make it impossible to load the system correctly.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have a windows xp pro cd but it doesnt have the sp3 on it ... and not sure if it is oem or full retail ... what is the difference?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it came with a system preloaded it is probably a OEM
The difference is a OEM will not come with any documentation and is used for system builders most of the time.

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well I hit cancel and it continued loading windows ... windows xp loaded but there seems to be alot missing ... no games loaded (not that big of deal to me ... I dont care if she minds lol) windows movie maker doesnt work ... no internet page ... was able to load my internet card but cant open a web page ... when I click on internet it comes up internet properties but no page opens ... is there a way to fix it?

Thanks a million!!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what you mean. Did you format and load the system or what exactly?
Her system didn't have XP Pro originally did it?

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
she originally had xp media center on her laptop. last night when I went to bed it was saying custsat.dll on Messenger is needed ... I hit cancel and it must have skipped that and continued loading the rest of windows xp pro ... but that file must control the movie maker, games, and internet page??? those 3 things do not work or are not there now. when i click on the start button and click the icon for internet ... all that happens is the internet properties menu where you can change the home page etc.

any ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I understand now.
First is the XP Pro loaded on any other system right now?
custsat.dll explanation included below:

Associated Applications: MSN Messenger, .NET Messenger Service, Windows Media Player, Windows Live Messenger

jclynn67

jclynn67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have it on an old computer i think

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok here is my problem. Since it is loaded on another system you cannot legally load it on her system.
First reason is because it is loaded on another system right now.
Second reason the reg key on her system will not work for that version since they are different versions.
Third the reg key for your Pro version is already on the older system and therefor cannot be used on her system since it is registered to you and to your older system.
This is why I suggested borrowing a OEM version of the same OS from someone and using her reg key you can format and reload her system. That would make the installation legal and in reality everything should work fine then.
Now with all that being said and you have tried several installs I am beginning to suspect maybe a dirty laser on the optical drive.
Forget the disks she bought they are useless for you.