Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-ROM freezes PC but works in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Also from Pitstop you have
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.13)
(3.6.13 (en-US))

The latest version is Firefox 4.

see this please as to why you should update
http://www.mozilla.c....6.13/whatsnew/

This will not have caused that error but you should update becuase of the security risk

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 April 2011 - 12:26 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
From Pc Pitstop

Internet Explorer Windows® Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 0 87
Windows Defender Microsoft Malware Protection Microsoft Corporation 0 61
Internet Explorer Windows® Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 6 53
Service host process Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 31
Internet Explorer Windows® Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 0 27
Windows Explorer Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 23
Microsoft Security Essentials Microsoft Security Client Microsoft Corporation 0 10
Alps touchpad Alps Pointing-device Driver Alps Electric Co., Ltd. 0 8
Print spooler Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 5
Service host process Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 4
The installation of Microsoft Security Essentials should have disabled Windows defender.

Would you please check that it has..
Find Windows defender and open it and check that it is disabled.
TWO anti-virus programs running can cause all sorts of problems., including this one., that you have
If Malwarebytes is NOT the free version, then on the same theme you MUST not have it running with MSE.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 April 2011 - 12:39 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After you have worked your way through the last posts from me we will run a system file checker.
That is Start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and please note the space between sfc and the /scannow.

It will very likely ask for the XP CD. please see how far you can get without it. Try retry and then ignore .
If it repeatedly asks there is a way round this so do not worry.
This will check the correctness of all your system files in Windows, for any corruption and that they are in the correct place..

There are still other matters to try, but it is really a question of keep on working at it., from a planned logical approach.
Sorry to give you so much work.
Will wait to hear from you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 April 2011 - 12:46 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have been doing some more research and this is your service tag put into the dell site
http://support.dell....ab=2&~ck=anavml

You will see that orignally the computer had this optical drive -
13X654Sub Assembly, Digital Video Disk Drive, 8X, Toshiba, Side, V2
Now we know it has the Teac - but according to Teac and to all analysis that is ONLY a CD ROM drive.

Would you please go to that link - on the laptop and obtain current system configuration

Additionally and I think I asked before, but if not I apologise - what are you using to play the CD - Windows Media player or what? - I know you have Windows Media Player installed but is that what is set to play the CD.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 April 2011 - 01:51 PM.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I am writing a lengthy reply after work today. I apologize for leaving you hanging. Thank you for your time.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

I have been doing some more research and this is your service tag put into the dell site
http://support.dell....ab=2&~ck=anavml

You will see that orignally the computer had this optical drive -
13X654Sub Assembly, Digital Video Disk Drive, 8X, Toshiba, Side, V2
Now we know it has the Teac - but according to Teac and to all analysis that is ONLY a CD ROM drive.

Would you please go to that link - on the laptop and obtain current system configuration

Additionally and I think I asked before, but if not I apologise - what are you using to play the CD - Windows Media player or what? - I know you have Windows Media Player installed but is that what is set to play the CD.

Original System Configuration:

ystem Summary

Service Tag: Change Service Tag
System Type: Inspiron 8200
Ship Date: 10/26/2002

Quantity Parts # Part Description

1 0120C INSR,Blank,PCMCIA,CP/CPX
1 6G141 Pipe,Height,Thin,Fins,Comaneciand Avanti,Pong Adds/Cohiba
1 8T993 Battery,Malaysia Direct Ship, 14.8V,8C,Lithium,Sony
1 8W742 Processor,80532,1.7GHz,512K Pentium 4,Upgrade
1 3J247 Keyboard,87,United States,CABNUnited States
1 1045D CORD,PWR,110V,6F,AC,3W\3P,US
1 6G356 Adapter,AC,External,20V,90W, 3W,Power Factor Correction
1 0J630 Liquid Crystal Display,Thin Film Transistor,SXGA+SPWG, 15.0,Hitachi
1 146CM Assembly,Cable,Flex,15inch, SXGA+-UXGA,L2
1 4T176 ASSY,BASE,BTM,I8200,CMPL,CNXT
1 5C494 Assembly,Bezel,Liquid Crystal Display,15.0,Lavaca,Ultra Extended Graphics Array
1 7R002 Assembly,Cover,Top,Liquid Crystal Display,15,I8200, Inspiron
1 9U529 Dual In-Line Memory Module,128,266,16X64,8K,200
1 3X654 Sub Assembly,Digital Video Disk Drive,8X,Toshiba,Side,V2
1 7T894 Kit,Documentation on Floppy Disk,IVI,4.0,WDHP
1 1M264 Card,Graphic,Video,32M,P41 NV11
1 0K727 Hard Drive,30GB,I,F2,9.5MM, IBM-CSD
1 48CVX Assembly,CARR,Hard Drive,L2
1 8267R Connector,Header,2X22,F,2, Short,Gold,35K,Third Height,CS
1 3G939 Assembly,Floppy Drive,1.44M,F3CN,TEAC,Notebook
1 6K223 Kit,Software,WKS-STE2K2,F5 OEM,English
1 3U669 KIT,SW,OVPK,WXPH,CDWD,ENG,A03

Current System Information:

I am unable to see the current system information.

Edited by andydude00, 09 April 2011 - 04:38 PM.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

After you have worked your way through the last posts from me we will run a system file checker.
That is Start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and please note the space between sfc and the /scannow.

It will very likely ask for the XP CD. please see how far you can get without it. Try retry and then ignore .
If it repeatedly asks there is a way round this so do not worry.
This will check the correctness of all your system files in Windows, for any corruption and that they are in the correct place..

There are still other matters to try, but it is really a question of keep on working at it., from a planned logical approach.
Sorry to give you so much work.
Will wait to hear from you.

I went through the motions with this. It finished but no message came up telling me anything.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

From Pc Pitstop

Internet Explorer Windows® Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 0 87
Windows Defender Microsoft Malware Protection Microsoft Corporation 0 61
Internet Explorer Windows® Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 6 53
Service host process Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 31
Internet Explorer Windows® Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation 0 27
Windows Explorer Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 23
Microsoft Security Essentials Microsoft Security Client Microsoft Corporation 0 10
Alps touchpad Alps Pointing-device Driver Alps Electric Co., Ltd. 0 8
Print spooler Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 5
Service host process Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 0 4
The installation of Microsoft Security Essentials should have disabled Windows defender.

Would you please check that it has..
Find Windows defender and open it and check that it is disabled.
TWO anti-virus programs running can cause all sorts of problems., including this one., that you have
If Malwarebytes is NOT the free version, then on the same theme you MUST not have it running with MSE.

I cannot locate windows defender. I went through the control panel, and searched for it but I cannot find it. I saw on the pitstop page where the .exe is located and I clicked it but nothing happened. I also saw that it said it is supposed to be enabled on pitstop.com.

I have the free version of Malwarebytes.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have actually uninstalled Firefox, and got chrome instead since it is faster.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Net 3Com 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible) 22

Re Pitstop result - the driver for the network adaptor is out of date and the device is shown as Code 22 - the device is disabled.
Please go to the Dell Site and update the driver and re-enable the device.
Which is this one

2/6/2003Version:ECD5.43A2(4.26), A08. Yours is dated 30.10.2001
The 1394 adaptor that is disabled is of no consequence as it is ONLY there as always showing that the computer has a firewire - 1394 port.

From the Belarc log - please go Windows update and install the long list of missing critical updates.

From the Pc Pitstop result, that driver for the wirleess card is
10/22/2008 5.10.38.26
which is a

Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
After extensive research that card was NOT supplied with that Dell.
There is of course a possibility it has replaced the original wireless b card.
If the original card is still in the computer, which was it appears a Broadcom, then that driver may well not show in device manager as a warning, but could still easily cause this problem.

COULD YOU connect hard wired with an ethernet cable after installing the latest driver for that as above. Disbale the wirless and then see HOW the DVD is.
If there is still no success.

[b]

After updating the driver, disabling the wireless network, connecting through the wired ethernet a cd still froze Windows.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. System file checker sfc /scannow does NOT make any report. It either runs and asks for the CD if necessary, or simply completes. It onyl notifies you if it requires the CD or finds corrupt files that it cannot replace.

2. I am confused as that TEAC CD224E is ONLY a CD rom drive, in otherwords it will not WRITE Cds and neither will it play DVD`s.
Originally as you will see on your post 36 it was a Toshiba DVD. drive.
When you say you cannot see current configuration, on the Dell site do you mean it would not run.

3. Did you download and install the missing security updates please, as notified on the Belarc log.
AFTER downloading the security updates OR if you have already sone so please proceed to 4.

4. Download and run this please.
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 April 2011 - 02:43 PM.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
When going to the Dell site it shows me the original config, but not the new one. It does not run anything to find out the config either.

I didn't attempt to play a dvd, or burn a dvd. I just attempted to play a music cd, and a data cd. Both froze.

Could it be that my cd player is busted? I was able to copy a full disk of programs into the hard drive while on safe-mode, but when I tried to play music it said I couldn't since it is in safe-mode.

I have updated all of the windows files from belarc.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Uninstall the CD player by going to device Manager and opening the device then clicking on the driver tab.
Reboot the computer. It will now reinstall and then please test it.
If still faulty

2. Please try the temporary file cleaner.
if still a fault

3. Install WMP 11 for XP
http://www.microsoft...68-5166114010ca
This should eliminate any corruption in your various files and filters associated with the CD player.
There is of course as you say always the chance that the drive is faulty but I do not think so, as it can certainly read the files otherwise youcould not have copied them.

4. . If that does not work, try using this instead of WMP .Go to this link and install this
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
See if it still occurs.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I uninstalled the CD-ROM driver, used the temporary file cleaner, and installed WMP11 but the problem still occurs. I pulled out an old picture cd I had and the computer read it in safe mode.

Could this be an issue with Roxio CD Creator? I noticed that this computer had this when it was bought, and since this drive is only a cd-rom not a writer could that be an issue? I still see it in the list of things that start up in the System Config Utility as Direct CD.

I also noticed in the system tab of the System Configuration Utility there are many items that have a status of stopped. I do remember the former owner of this laptop was an avid user of Hijackthis. Is there any way to restart these items? I something that says IMAPI CD Burning Com has been stopped.

Edited by andydude00, 11 April 2011 - 09:11 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Please try that VLC player. It maybe something that is loading that WMP does not like.
If that is no success

2. Do this please - Use my link your HiJack is out of date.
Please click http://www.trendmicr.../HijackThis.exe to download and install HijackThis.
Create a Startup List

• Open HiJackThis
  • Click on the "Config..." button on the bottom right
  • Click on the tab "Misc Tools"
  • Check off the 2 boxes next to the Box that says "Generate StartupList log"
  • Click on the button "Generate StartupList log"
  • Copy and past the StartupList from the notepad into your next post

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next reply.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

Then please go back to HiJack and this time, click Main Menu at the bottom, then click Miscellaneous tools which is top right, then click Open uninstall Manager, click Save List.
Copy and paste the list please.

PLEASE copy and paste both as actual open lists, not an attachment which I have to open.

NOTE - I am asking for a HiJack ONLY for the startup items and the list of installed programs.
PLEASE DO NOT attach a general scan result. That is NOT allowed in this forum.