Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preparing network connections shut down

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
On page 16 of this download you will see YOUR motherboard CPU and fan. It is your motherboard manual
http://file.abit.com...-fp-in9-sli.zip

On page 56 section 3.5 of that manual you can install the Hardware Doctor untility for that motherboard, from the original motherboard CD or probably, although I have not checked from the abit site. If you do not have this installed I believe it would be very useful to obtain the temps and other readings from the actual motherboard utility.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 June 2011 - 08:03 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
THIS IS NOT NECESSARY FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION but will serve you well after we proceed with the apparent overheating problem.

I have just spent some more time examining Pitstop.
You have this installed.
It is a discontinued product. No longer supported and no longer recommended.
PeerGuardian 2Phoenix LabsPeerGuardian 2Phoenix Labs

It is in its simplest terms a Firewall blocking certain incoming and outgoing connections on IP blacklists.
As the program is no longer supported you can be assured that it is effectively useless.
Such programs can only be useful when they are updated.
I do NOT know if it is in anyway responsible for any of the problems.
Whether it is or NOT I strongly recommend you uninstall it.

You also have this installed
RAR Password Cracker 4.12dnSoft Research Group
I have had a look at it.
I suggest you uninstall it.

More importantly you have Comodo Internet Security.
Is that the paid for full anti-virus and firewall - a well regarded product
OR is it the free Comodo product.
You also have McAfee site advisor.
Please tell me what exactly you have by way of anti-virus, firewall and any anti-spyware.

As you also have
SpywareGuardSG Browser Hijacking Protection
If that is the JAVACOOL product
there are better options, as Javacool themselves now recommend
http://www.javacools...areblaster.html
SPYWAREBLASTER, basically the replacement it seems for spyware guard.

In summary I strongly recommend you uninstall the Peer Guardian and the RAR password cracker.
AND the Spyware Guard.

See this for general advice on what is available and recommended here on GeekstoGo
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 June 2011 - 07:57 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Speedfan showed the 12 v as 6.07 and SIW shows the 12v as 8.42

Yeah, that is not right. Note the ATX Form Factor standards require voltage tolerance ranges as indicated in this table:

Posted Image

Sadly, we don't know if the sensor is bad (a common problem, especially with heat sensors - they are pretty cheap and low tech), or if the PSU is bad. But if me, I would pop in a known good PSU before going any further. That may be your whole problem. If you don't have a spare PSU or a trusting friend you can borrow from for testing, then most shops charge only a nominal fee to test a PSU. Be sure to tell them to that when connected and under load your monitors are indicating +12V is low. Hopefully in this way, they will test it under a proper load.

DO NOT use the household vacuum cleaner.

If it's raining outside, I use a vacuum. You just have to be EXTRA EXTRA careful with ESD as dust and air particles zipping past and banging into the nozzle (especially some plastics) can generate HUGE amounts of static. So when I use a vacuum, I wrap my hand around the end of the nozzle with my finger sticking out, which I plant on bare metal of the case, before moving the nozzle in close. This will keep me, the nozzle, the computer, and the ESD sensitive devices all at the same "potential" - thus preventing any static buildup, or discharge. I then use a soft dusting brush if necessary to stir up the dust so it can be sucked into the vacuum. And of course, the machine should be off and unplugged from the wall before starting. I try to avoid nylon and other synthetic bristles.

That said, the preferred way is to take the machine outside and blast it with a properly equipped (with an in-line moisture and particulate filter) air compressor. I use wooden glue or Popsicle sticks to hold the fans still while blasting to prevent destroying the bearings.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Digerati
Thank you for looking.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I didn't really add anything you had not pointed out.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try uninstalling spyware guard....I've found it can bog down a system down

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I will try opening up the computer in the morning to see if it needs a clean.

I have uninstalled spywareguard, rarcracker, and peerguardian2.

The comodo I have is the free version. I also have zonedout, superanti spyware and malwarebytes anti-malware installed. I also already had spyware blaster installed, so I have removed and reinstalled the newest version of it

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting back please do let us know how you go on.

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ok I have opened up the computer and it is safe to say it definitely needed cleaning!

The heatsink was covered in thick dust as was the grill where the heat escapes. I have removed as much of the dust as I could. Hopefully this will help with the overheating problem.

I have run speedfan again and these are the results
speedfannew.jpeg

There are a lot less fire symbols this time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well the difference is immediately noticeable - CPU 64C on orginal speedfan 43C on this one

I believe that you should now addres the issue raised by me and followed by one of our experts on PSU`s - Digerati.

Wilst you arrange that PSU test etc it will do not harm to address the issues I highlighted in the first quick look at Pitstop and also run this please.
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Followed by this please.
http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25
Please run ATF Cleaner clicking on the Main tab, and select ALL.
Please ensure that you have any saved passwords for websites email etc, as they will be deleted.
It does NOT effect Windows passwords.
This is an ideal utility to run once a week or so to clean your browser files.
When running regularly do not check PREFETCH as windows will simply rebuild it.
DO CHECK IT THIS TIME PLEASE - by select all.

Then if you use Firefox check that tab and do the same please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 June 2011 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have run TFC and ATF cleaner.

Since I cleaned the dust I have had no problems with bleeping despite rebooting a few times. The machine also appears to be running a lot more quietly than before (I assume the heatsink fan was not rotating properly with all the dust)

Hopefully the preparing network connections error has gone as well

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I assume the heatsink fan was not rotating properly with all the dust)

Could be, if so you are very lucky, you could have lost the CPU.
Do you wish to continue with the cleanup and tidying which Pitstop reveals is necessary?
In any case

Thks for posting back please do let me know how it is in a few days.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 June 2011 - 02:50 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

(I assume the heatsink fan was not rotating properly with all the dust)

That and the dust trapping the heat in the heat sink so it could not be radiated out into the air, where the fan could move it out.

wysiwyg2008

wysiwyg2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes please Macboatmaster, I would like to continue the cleaning.

So far so good, I have been had no shutdown problems since removing the dust Sunday.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You have FAR too much space allocated to system restore capacity
Reduce System Restore Capacity Performance 465960 MB Posted Image
Go start, right click My Computer, click properties and on the window that open click the system restore tab, this will show your your drives and which one is being monitored.
You must decide, if you need a system restore on all of the drives. If not turn off that on the ones that you do not.
Highlight the drives and click the settings button, then reduce system restore to about 3% or approx. 1.5Gb ie: 1500Mb.
Windows allocates 12% by default, this is not necessary as you will have far too many restore points, some going back months.
Your actual allocation at present is this
C:\ 476929 MB 57231 MB Windows XP Home SP3 F:\ 239308 MB 28717 MB Windows XP Home SP3 G:\ 305168 MB 36620 MB Windows XP Home SP3 H:\ 953867 MB 114464 MB Windows XP Home SP3 I:\ 953868 MB 114464 MB Windows XP Home SP3 J:\ 953868 MB 114464 MB Windows XP Home SP3

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 June 2011 - 01:08 PM.