Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7- cant install ANYTHING!

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR6.

Please go Start, right click Computer, click Manage then on the left pane open Disk Management.
What is harddisk2 please.

It is not the Blu-ray, so if it is NOT there now, what did you have connected please when this error report was received.
Could have been USB flash or USB external HDD or if your printer has one could have been the memory card i the printer.

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
No Disk 2 listed, Disk 0 Regular HD, Disk 1 Removable E:, CD-ROM 0

I may have had a USB plugged in on that particular boot.

I also had an iPod cord which is pretty much always plugged in (no iPod connected, just the cord in USB)

Also, I tried the VGA again with the different BIOS setting and get no video signal.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I may have had a USB plugged in on that particular boot.

Well at this time I think it must have been that.
The report quoted in my post 61 usually indicates a disk error or as it says an error on the controller, in this case if it was a USB flash drive then it could have been that.
The DR refers to Data Raw..

Re the integrated graphics, clearly the motherboard has them otherwise the setting would not be there in the BIOS.
I seem to remember that the Gigabyte site has the driver for those integrated graphics.
Is it installed.

It has been suggested that we should check the PSU readings.
No one program is reliable, but could you start with the voltages shown in the BIOS.
It is in the motherboard manual.
Then could you download and run Speedfan

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 September 2011 - 07:44 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Here goes...

BIOS readings:
BIOS ver F2
BCLK 100.32
CPU Freq 3411.04MHz
Mem Freq 1337.6 MHZ
Vcore 1.236V
DDR15V 1.500V
+12V 12.024V
Vcc3 3.344V
Vcc 5.062V
Vtt 1.064V

Speedfan is not displaying the voltages, tried running as admin as well but still no display, link to the results image (Forum wont let me post image).

Speedfan Results Image

D/L'd the VGA driver from Gigabyte, will install and try that tomorrow...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well there is on the faceof it nothing wrong with the voltages and the temps are certainly OK on the speedfan image.

After you have tried with those Intel integrated graphics, if it is still not right, it has been suggested that we should check the installation of the motherboard drivers.
The chipset driver should alwa\ys be installed FIRST. Then the LAN, Graphics and Sound etc.
The order following the chipset driver does not really matter.
HOWEVER the other drivers may not install correctly if the chipset driver is not installed first.
They are these on the Gigabyte site.

Intel INF installation9.2.0.10302.43 MB2011/09/19
Intel Management Engine Interface7.​1.​20.​111917.48 MB2011/09/19

I was reasonably certain when the suggestion was made that I had covered this, but having searched the thread It appears I did not..
I apologise.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 September 2011 - 05:28 AM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
First, no apologies- you have been unbelievably helpful and I am extremely grateful.

At work now, will try the VGA tonight. In the event that does not work, are we looking at another reformat in order to reinstall the drivers? That would be a bit of a pain but not impossible.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re the chipset drivers

The motherboard has a northbridge and southbridge chipset.
They control more or less everything connected with aspects requiring other drivers and the configuration of the ram, sata connections, PCI etc.
Please see my screenshot (NOT your motherboard - just an example)

Turning now to your installation of them.
If AFTER installing windows, on that clean install, you then inserted the Motherboard CD, that would install the drivers in the correct order.
You could then , as you did, visit the Gigabyte site and update those drivers. In which order you updated them, does not matter.
The IMPORTANT aspect is that before the install of a Graphics driver for instance, or the configuration of settings in the BIOS, can be entirely guaranteed to be successful, the chipset drivers must be installed FIRST.

There is a school of thought that says that Windows 7 is so sophiscated that the procedure outlined above is not necessary and that Microsoft spent $M ensuring that all chipsets were catered for in the install of Windows7. HOWEVER most articles you read say EVEN if that is the case, WHY deviate from the long established procedure of installing the chipset drivers first.

So IN SUMMARY if you installed with the motherboard CD as per page 61 of your motherboard manual, then you are OK.
If you did NOT, but after installing Windows went to the Gigabyte site and DID NOT install the chipset driver FIRST then I suggest you NOW see if the Motherboard CD can install the drivers, albeit you will of course receive the warning that the ones on your system are newer.
Then you will have them in the correct order and can then update from the Gigabyte site.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 September 2011 - 01:15 PM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Here is a new development which may be related... my wife tried to print something today and Windows prompted her to "add a printer" She didnt do anything and left it. I just tried to add the printer and got the error "Device Spooler has stopped working" (something to that effect). I then tried launching device manager (which I have been unable to do) and it launched! Looking at the devices, it appears to be viewing the printer as a harddrive labeled "Epson Stylus Storage USB device" I'm assuming that should not be the case?

I know when I first built the system the printer was not connected during install, however, when I did the recent reformat I think it may have been... please advise if this is an issue.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Remember that report of the disk error on Hard disk 2/DR6
and I asked

Could have been USB flash or USB external HDD or if your printer has one could have been the memory card of the printer.

For instance my Epsom SX218 has a memory card slot which shows in Disk Management as Disk H and in Device manager as a Disk Drive.
So if your printer has one it is correct and the Print Spooler is a different issue.

See my screenshot.
Are you now on the integrated graphics.
Also I am about to sign off as it is 0140 here in UK.
Please see my post 67.

I will wait 15 mins or so for your reply.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 September 2011 - 06:43 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above go to Control Panel, Printers and check that your printer is shown there as the default printer - it will have a green tick mark against it.

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I cant open the "devices and printers" option from control panel, it just hangs trying to open... in device manager there is no option for printer, the printer only shows as a drive and as a scanner... no printer.

Still working on integrated, I have to d/l the install instructions as the driver d/l is actually a zip file with a LOT of things in it.

NOTE: Explain this one- when I try to launch the Setup file I get a popup saying my system does not meet minimum requirements to run the software.

Edited by MikeS71, 28 September 2011 - 07:16 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Are all four sticks of ram back in now.
and what ram is recognised in the BOIS and in system infromation.

I cant open the "devices and printers" option from control panel, it just hangs trying to open.

A suggestion has bee made that you try and create a new admin account and see how that account manages.
Would you then try the devices and printers again please.

3. If that is no good, another suggestion is to try another SATA data cable for the drive - the one from the motherboard SATA port to the hard drive.
AND try the drive in a different port.

If those fail, other recommendations have been made and we will proceed to the next step.

NB. If the printer is a scanner as well it should show in Device Manager as a Imaging Device and also in USB - there will be an entry for USB printing Support. and if you click the View Tab and click show Hidden Devices it wil then show the listing Printers

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
At work now, will try these things when I get home... all 4 RAM sticks are back in- will check the BIOS when I get home. Also, in creating a new admin account do I need to delete the current account? How do I go about it?

Will also try a new SATA cable this evening, I believe the MB came with 2 and I only used 1... should I try the new cord in the current port then change ports? or should I just change cable and port?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
TRY THIS FIRST PLEASE ON YOUR EXISTING ACCOUNT.
In respect first of the cable and the port.
Please TRY only one of these and test.
If still not right try the other.
Otherwise we will not know which if either was the cause of the errors.

IF THE CABLE AND PORT CHANGE ARE NO GOOD proceed to this please, having returned to the old cable and port.
In respect of the new account NO do not delete your present account.
Using an admin account, create another account.

Control Panel, User Accounts (User Accounts and Family Safety) depending on your setup, Add or Remove User Accounts, or Manage Accounts, and then when in Manage Accounts, Create a New Account.

See how the new acccount works.

It is vital that after eah step the computer is tested again and ONLY one step at a time is tried. This principle is always the important point in troubleshooting.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 September 2011 - 07:41 AM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok, swapped cords- tested, no good
Swapped Ports- tested, no good (on this step Windows did a "new device driver" for the HD

Will try the new admin acct, have to get my daughter dinner- back in an hour.

Here are the logs for current errors- 1st 2 are on start-up, other 3 when trying to enter "View Devices and Printers"

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
Faulting application name: DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc52c
Faulting module name: fdPnp.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdf09
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000051ac
Faulting process id: 0xeec
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc7ef0772662c5
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\fdPnp.dll
Report Id: b4f79c4f-eae3-11e0-b3c3-50e54940e88b

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Faulting application name: spoolsv.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b4e7
Faulting module name: fdPnp.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdf09
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000051ac
Faulting process id: 0xd90
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc7ef08fa0829c
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\fdPnp.dll
Report Id: 15523c21-eae4-11e0-b3c3-50e54940e88b