Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7- cant install ANYTHING!

• Please log in to reply

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Created 2nd Admin acct, no dice... same errors at same spots. Can;t open Devices and Printers, can't add printer (Spooler not running)

Error log on new acct when trying Open devices and printers:

Faulting application name: spoolsv.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b4e7
Faulting module name: fdPnp.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdf09
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000051ac
Faulting process id: 0xd90
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc7ef08fa0829c
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\fdPnp.dll
Report Id: 15523c21-eae4-11e0-b3c3-50e54940e88b

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The purpose of creating the other account was to eliminate the possibility of the errors in your account profile.

Would you please go to my post 67 and start with that.
If you installed as mentioned to install the chipset drivers first - then really there is nothing to do.
If you did not would you please follow the details of the post.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Barring your telling me not to, I am going to do another reinstall and redo all of the drivers... I am fairly certaIN I installled chipset first but cannot say with 100% certainty... I will then use the update utility on the install disk to check for updates after install.

this way I can redo all drivers in order and eliminate that possibility all together.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I would NOT yet.

For two reasons.
1. It may be counter-productive to what follows.

2. IF we return to the same problems, we wil be no further forward and if you ARE going to di it, it must be done a different way to what you did, to ensure we elimiate the chance of another reason why this is occurring.

I would go back to the motherboard CD as per my post 67.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok, so just use the MB CD and reinstall? Do I need to uninstall anything first? Nvidia drivers? Print Driver? Existing LAN and USB drivers?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No. Just run the motherboard CD.
Please see page 61 of the manual and NOTE the caution.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok, so it wont let me install them- says they are already installed. I checked them off and tried install all but rather than reinstalling the chipset drivers etc, it installed all the free untilities that come from Gigabyte (easytune, Smart6, Energy Saver) none of which I had previously installed as I had been told they could cause potential conflicts- especially easytune.

What now?

Also, I tried reinstalling the printer driver and it seemed to install ok but it then is unable to find the printer. Tried again with printer connected to a different usb port but still no good.

Edited by MikeS71, 29 September 2011 - 08:17 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK.
We are at the stage where you either
1. Proceed again with the fresh install.
THIS TIME HOWEVER - take the hard drive out of the computer and format it, on a FULL format, using the Western Digital utility.
The reason for that is that certain types of Malware can remain on the drive when it is formatted in the computer involved.
Then install as before but this time using the motherboard CD .
You can then LATER update from Gigabyte.
IF YOU TAKE this option I would NOT install anything other than Windows and drivers, until you have tested the system.
I would MOST CERTAINLY not reinstall any of your SAVED data. Even the Excel files.

The other option
2. Is to go to our Malware forum, following the advice in the link
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/
If you do that please provide on your Malware thread a link to the thread, so that Malware expert can see what has occurred here.
This would in the circumstances be of benefit ONLY to avoid the reinstall, AT THIS STAGE.

The third option is to
3. Refer to Gigabyte via a Technical Support ticket (in the first instance) on this link
http://uk.gigabyte.c...al-support.aspx
possibly with a view to them suggesting a return of the board, if they opine that the error lies there.

If you take the third option, even if AFTER the first or second you can most properly inform them of what has been done here and if necessary they can of course view the thread as soon as you provide a link to it.

We could run another program to confirm the voltages on the PSU, as Speedfan did not register them, but the BIOS confirms they are OK, you could try another PSU. The memory checks out on both Memtest and WMD. The only aspect we have not tried is running it with just ONE memory stick, but I seem to think you tried all four in different combinations on both cores. HOWEVER I tend to think that, we have reached the stage where it is best to proceed with one of the suggestions on this thread.

The only issue remaining is that the BIOS on that board is a dual chip BIOS. There is a facility in addition to the normal SAVE and exit, to Save your settings to the backup BIOS chip. Originally that second BIOS chip, had known safe settings on it. If the system detected a BIOS corruption or UNSAFE setting, it would automatically run on the second chip. HOWEVER if you had at anytime SAVED settings to the other chip, rather than just SAVE and exit, then that failsafe on the second chip no longer exists.

Finally, please do of course keep us informed and I regret that my efforts have not been successful and I wish you the very best.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 September 2011 - 05:31 AM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thank you for your efforts... I am going to try the full format, my only question is can you point me towards details on how to remove and format the drive?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Take it out, place it either an enclosure connected to another computer or in another computer and then format it using the WD. - full format

Advertisements

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
So I figure after all this effort I will post a few updates as I progress through this process... back at the beginning of this debacle I ran a full check of the HD using WD's utility which came back clean... Here is where I am now:

I took the HD out of the new build and connected it to my old system as a 2nd HD. I am now running the WD utility to fully write zero's to the drive, and I am getting multiple "Write Zeros error" indicators with a variety of sector numbers. I'm guessing that despite the WD diagnostic showing no errors- there is something wrong with the drive. I'm going to contact WD on Monday and see what they have to say.

Will post when theres new info...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please see this
http://wdc.custhelp....WQvOHdTQUd5Rms=

That is for the Caviar Black
I suggest you run the extended test. See what is reported there.

Then if that fails, I suggest you make a note of the failure codes, but actually I think it is drive replacement time.
If it passes I would then try the write zeros.
If there are error codes there, then Western Digitial support can advise as to what they mean.

There are on that link a number of different utilities you can use, but if the computer on which the drive now resides is running Windows I would start with the Extended Test on that utility on the link.

You MAY find this useful
http://support.wdc.c.../errorcodes.asp

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks Mac...

The link to that WD utility is actually the one I used back when we started this process (Data Lifeguard) and at that time the extended test showed no errors. that is also the same utility used to do an extended full write zero's erase of the drive... in doing that full write zero I started getting the bad sector errors.

after posting last night I emailed WD support with details as to what had been happening, they are replacing the drive. I was actually fairly impressed with how quickly they responded as well as how easy (so far) the exchange was... have to wait a few days for the replacement to get here.

Edited by MikeS71, 02 October 2011 - 09:11 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well that is good news.
It takes me back to this near the start of the thread.
Although the main purpose of running the chkdsk was to see if it would improve the situation AND to establish if there were any bad sectors reported, which there is NOT. These are a sign of a filing hard drive, I am concerned about the report that says that windows replaced bad clusters .

Windows replaced bad clusters in file 27507
of name \PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\WER\REPORT~2\AP5011~1.EXE\WERA0D~1.HDM.

although as you say we then ran the WD test and it passed.
Furthermore the chkdsk reported that no bad sectors were found.
When a bad sector is found, the data is read and rewritten, if possible to a good sector and then the bad sector is marked so that data is not then written to it.
The bad sector is NOT repaired.

I just hope that we - have found the problem.
Good Luck

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 October 2011 - 09:36 AM.

MikeS71

MikeS71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
So much to my delight, the new drive arrived today... I installed it, inserted my Windows 7 CD and fired up the system...

I noticed something odd right away, when Windows asked where to install there was obviously only "Partition 0" available, what was odd was that it said there was only 931.5GB of available space yet its a 1TB drive, seemed a bit odd. but I went ahead.

The "Copying Windows Files" portion was nearly instantaneous and then when it started "Expanding Windows Files" it got to about 8% when the following error appeared:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570"

Whats going on????

UPDATE: I switched the port my HD was connected to back to SATA_0 since that was what it had originally been when I first installed. I also changed BIOS setting for VGA back to Auto because that was also the only difference from original install... I tried the install again and it installed. Will update as I progress.

Edited by MikeS71, 05 October 2011 - 08:27 PM.