Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes & BSOD - Is it Software or Hardware?

• Please log in to reply

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hey - no worries friend - this will take as long as it takes. I'm just grateful to have your assistance. And, in any case, I don't want to rush into any solution.

The first start this morning went without any problems - at least, no freezes or BSODs.

I ran chkdsk /r I found the results in Event Viewer:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.
A disk check has been scheduled.

Windows will now check the disk.
197632 file records processed.
709 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
60 reparse records processed.
249058 index entries processed.
0 unindexed files processed.
197632 security descriptors processed.

CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream...
Cleaning up 8153 unused security descriptors.
25714 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
37546400 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
197616 files processed. File data verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
112493639 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.

Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

614644055 KB total disk space.

164247036 KB in 164325 files.

96924 KB in 25717 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

325539 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

449974556 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

153661013 total allocation units on disk.

112493639 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:

00 04 03 00 64 e6 02 00 7f 0d 05 00 00 00 00 00 ....d...........

da 7e 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .~..<...........

42 00 00 00 52 73 b5 77 a0 52 06 00 a0 4a 06 00 B...Rs.w.R...J..

Windows has finished checking your disk.

Please wait while your computer restarts.

Undersiege

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Please post a snapshot of your system with Speccy http://www.piriform....wnload/standard

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Seems a big file, so please find it attached as DAD-PC.txt

Attached File  DAD-PC.txt   229.03KB   193 downloads

Also, it says I have a PS/2 mouse attached, when I most certainly do not! And i could not uninstall Rapport, even in safe mode. I got a dialogue box saying something like uninstaller could not be found. And the process unsecapp.exe you asked me tio kill in an earlier post is back.

Edited by UnderSiege, 28 November 2011 - 05:10 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
http://www.trusteer....a-and-windows-7 I know of another way to uninstall rapport but I will have to ask staff if it is ok to tell you,if this doesnt work.How is the computer?

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
The computer has been much, much more stable since we used the tools to remove AVG, NAV and McAfee and re-seated the memory modules. It is also noticeably quieter since I cleaned out the heat sink. Most importanly, I have done 2 "cold" morning starts now with no freezes or BSODs. So we must heading in the right direction. :)

On reflection, I'd like to keep Rapport, as I like the security protection it affords, especially as this computer is used by all the family. If it plays up again, then I'll reconsider.

Should I be concerned at the sfc /scannow report at post #13? What could I do about it anyway?

Undersiege

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I am glad to hear that your pc is running better but to be honest with you Im not to sure about the sfc /scannow log I will have to step down now as this has begun to go beyond what I am capable of helping you with.Sorry but I just wouldnt wanna give you any bad advice.I am sure that another member here with more knowledge than my self will be glad to step in and assist.Sorry I could not be of more use to you but once again I am glad that your pc is running better for sure. :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
UnderSeige

Should I be concerned at the sfc /scannow report at post #13? What could I do about it anyway?

Re your post 13 and 20 I have examined your CBS log.

SFC errors are not ALWAYS a matter to become greatly about. I am not suggesting they should be ignored but file that could not be repaired needs to be established.

If when your CBS log opens in Notepad, you click on the edit tab and then find and then type in the box cannot repair file
If you start at the top of the log and check the DOWN on the Find box, you will verifiy for yourself that the entries that cannot be repaired relate to Windows Sidebar.

It is therefore on the evidence available at this time not a matter to concern yourself greatly with.

What is more concerning, is the apparent amount of dust and dirt you found in the cooling fins of the CPU.

Please check in BIOS setup the temps shown there.
As you are in BIOS those temps will be with very little load on the processor etc.

When you have done that and please note the temps

Please download and install this and send me a screenshot of the items shown.
http://www.geekstogo...e/331-speedfan/
Do that first please with just the windows and speedfan running.

Then load up please by opening graphics, and a few windows etc. Either go to your usual site, if you use one, or if you have one on the HDD - play a video presentation etc
and then STOP that and run Speedfan again.

In otherwords send me a second screenshot of speedfan please.
This is the one I need

In view of the fact that your recent problems appear to relate to morning starts it may be that temps are not the issue, but I would like to check.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have put this on a separate post for you, so that it is easier to work through the first issues and then address this.

1. AFTER running system file checker you must visit WINDOWS update, when system file checker finds errors and correct them
The reason is that when it finds errors they are repaired or indeed if they cannot be, the file is replaced by one from various places on the HDD, These replaced files are NOT always the up to date files.
Hence the visit to Windows update - not always necessary but advisable to be on the safe side.
It was more important in XP, when that O/S frequently required the XP CD.
More backup files are included in Vista and the DVD is not usually required.

2. For your additional information you will note on the left hand margin of notepad each block is a set of POQ starting ONE and ending 89. The result of each POQ (Primitive Operation Queue) is shown.

3. I notice from one of your logs that you have Windows Defender running. - according to the log.
It does not - when you have an A/V (anti-virus) which includes anti-spyware etc need to run.Nor indeed should it be allowed to.
  • Launch Windows Defender and go to Tools -> Options.
  • There will be a list of configuration options.
  • Scroll down to the end of the list to Administrator options.
  • Deselect the Use Windows Defender box and press the Save button.
  • Now you will receive a notification saying that "Windows Defender is turned off".
  • Click on Close and you are done.
When you have completed my recommendations in my two posts please post with the screenshots and of course any comments you consider I need to be aware of.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
First, a big thank you to Rockmilk for your assistance and candour. Today, I had a another hassle free start , so that makes 3 in a row. Well done :thumbsup:

Second, many thanks Macboatmaster for picking this up.

Post #22 requests:

BIOS temps
I only noted 2 temps:
A current system temp of 20C, and another (whose name I have forgotten-doh!) saying minus 66C

Speedfan temps

System Idle

scrnshot_idle.jpg

and

System load

scrnshot_load.jpg

Post #23

Noted your comments about sfc. I have a confession to make, in that I have used CCleaner from when I first bought this machine, and I have used its registry cleaner many times to clear out stuff that's left behind after I have uninstalled software. This would probably account for the error recorded about Windows sidebar, which I deleted on purchase. So there is strong possilbility that over the years, I have shot myself in the foot, albeit with the best of intentions! To be fair to CCleaner, it always asks if I want to take a backup, so I can reverse the registry clean-up, but I became so trusting that it would never suggest deleting anything critical, that I have not bothered taking back-ups!

Windows Defender is now OFF

2 final points, which may be germaine:

1. The computer did not come with a Vista OS DVD, rather I created recovery disks using Packard Bell's recovery management software.

2. I cannot seem to launch PB's Updator software: PBUpdator.exe A dialogue box opens saying "Please wait, initialization in progress" with a status bar underneath. Then it closes and there is no record of it running under Task Manager as a application, service or process?

UnderSiege

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I cannot seem to launch PB's Updator software: PBUpdator.exe A dialogue box opens saying "Please wait, initialization in progress" with a status bar underneath. Then it closes and there is no record of it running under Task Manager as a application, service or process?

I think you may have misread - my post.
WINDOWS UPDATE please. Start (Windows button) Control panel, Windows update - usually the last icon.

2. I am a little concerned regarding your speedfan reports.
However do not be worried at this time as readings on speedfan are not always accurate. It depends on how many sensors etc and voltage readings it can detect.

Firstly please confirm that the ONLY fan in this computer besides the CPU fan is the one on the PSU and that there is NOT a case fan.

Secondly would you please look at the readings in my example image of speedfan and then look at yours. You will immedaitely see the difference on the 12v, 5, and 3.3v rails on the - voltages. They are never the exact replication of the + voltages but are invariably similar, especially the -12 volt reading. As -5 volts is not used on many systems.
Would you please go back to BIOS and this time look at your voltages in BIOS

Advertisements

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I've just run Windows Update and there are 3 important updates, but they relate to Office 2007, and I have Office 2010 installed. The PC came with Office 2007 installed and I upgraded it later. Should I install them?

There are 2 fans in the tower. One in the PSU, and one on the top of the CPU

I will shutdown and re-examine the BIOS for the voltages.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
BIOS voltages from the System Health page are:

VCore------1.200
Vbat---------2.960
+3.3V-------3.12
+5V----------4.999
+5SB--------5.026
+12V-------12.032

Other data from the same page:

System temp 31C
CPU fan speed 1115rpm
System fan speed N/A
Offset to TCC activation temp minus 58C

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. If you did not simply install Office 2010 and leave Office 2007 in place eg you uninstalled or upgraded, then the answer is that various aspects of Office 2010 share certain files with documents prepared on office 2007 etc.

Install the updates .
Windows is very good at only offering the correct updates.

UnderSiege

UnderSiege

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Office 2007 updates installed

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted this separately, so you did not miss it. As I see you are working on my last post 28.

1. From your chkdsk report
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

It is not unusual for chkdsk to find unallocated space in the MFT.
However the Bitmap part of the MFT is where it tells the drive to look for the required files.
As you may gather from its name the MFT is very important and if there are errors in that, the computer may well not even load windows.

Would you please do this.PLEASE do NOT attempt to use defrag in Accessories System Tools as it will not readily supply the info.
Go start, search and type cmd. DO NOT open from the search box but wait until cmd appears in the box above and then right click and clck run as admin.
When the comand window opens type
defrag C: -a -v
That provides a verbose analysis of the drive but does not defrag it, as you have I think already done this.

When you have done that - what is the SIZE of the MFT and what is the fragmentation degree.

2. Download and run this please and compare the voltages on the - (negative rail) with that provided by Speedfan
http://www.geekstogo...12-sandra-lite/
NOTE PLEASE

Q: The voltage readings shown by Sandra are incorrect!
A:
Some voltages (e.g. +12V) need to be scaled down before conversion using a resistor bridge. Negative values (e.g. -5V or +12V) are usually converted to positive values using inverters. Sandra uses the values listed in the manufacturer's application notes for the chip but some mainboard manufacturers (e.g. QDI, PC Chips) use different values. They may also use different ports to measure different voltages instead - there is no way for the software to tell.