Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not recognized and hard drive test result show "Repla

• Please log in to reply

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Phillpower2,

Malware tech said my log is clean now.

My DVD drive is sill missing.
Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Hi horseshoe

Good news that your system is now clean however I am sorry that it has not also resolved the issue with the drive.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I feel so safe that my computer is now free of malware/spyware...I never know that p2p product is an easy way to spread the virus etc...

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread

Here is the URL Intenet address

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Hi horseshoe

I am not online this evening but please rest assured of my return tomorrow so as to assist you.
Meanwhile other members or members of staff may step in :thumbsup:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello horseshoe...

While phillpower2 is getting his beauty rest, I thought I might slip in and make a couple suggestions. :whistling:

Did you remove the registry cleaner software as was suggested by CompCav in your Malware Topic? Registry cleaners can definitely create more problems than they can resolve...and they may prevent some procedures we use from working.

I see you have Spybot S&D installed. Did you install Teatimer with it? I' haven't used Spybot for quite a while, but Teatimer used to install by default when installing Spybot. Teatimer is a registry monitor and may prevent some registry adjustments from taking effect. I would suggest removing that, too. You can reinstall later, if you so desire, but I would recommend against installing Teatimer with it.

All that being said, the cd fixer-upper reg files you tried earlier are for XP only. Microsdoft has a "Fix it" application available to address this issue on Vista. The tool and information in it's use is available HERE. The Fix it tool looks at more than the filters that the manual procedure has you do. You might give it a try AFTER uninstalling the registry tools.

wannabe1

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

Fix it from miscrosoft did not work for my issue before. I tried it again today after I uninstall registry cleaner & Spybot and restart the computer. The result is the same -- No CD/DVD drive detected...
Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks wannabe1 :thumbsup:

horseshoe
Can you upload a picture of your Device Manager please;

Go to Start > Control Panel > R/Click on Device Manager and then Open, take a screenshot;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Please see attached . Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Device manager-Screen.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Please expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI details box and again post a screenshot.

FWIW: I did not ask you to do this earlier in case the option was not available.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
No problem. I also include the screen shot for the channel 0 property. Both channel 1 "Advance setting are empty.
Not sure if the following make any difference:
My DVD device is IDE. The expanded list under IDE/ATA CONTROLLER showed ATA channels with the old DVD drive. After the new drive was installed, the list showed IDE channels. Now it is showing the ATA channels?

Attached Thumbnails

• Device manager.JPG

Edited by horseshoe, 05 April 2012 - 07:32 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Please expand the Driver and Resources tabs and again post a screenshot then right click on each device and scan for hardware changes - let us know the results.
Depending on the above results it may be necessary to uninstall each device in the Device Manager and start afresh.

Please note the absence of any CD/DVD Rom entry in your device manager meaning that none are detected.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Scan for hardware changes for each drive was done. Scanning for plug and play compliance hardware displayed and nothing else happen.

Attached Thumbnails

• driver and resources.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Sorry but this is going to be rather repetitive;

In the Device Manager please update the driver for ATA 1 only and then reboot - any change.
If no change in Device Manager uninstall first the ATA 1 driver and then the ATA device itself and then reboot and reinstall the device and drivers - any change.

NB: I recall Microsoft advising you to change the drive, do you have a link to the replacement product please.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Uninstall as instructed but nothing change.
I am not sure what you mean by the link to the drive. I do have the screen shot of the device information when it worked. Please let me know if this is not what you are asking. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• DVD drive  Information.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Uninstall as instructed but nothing change.

Did the device and driver reinstall?

I am not sure what you mean by the link to the drive.

A (example only) link to a product http://compare.ebay....&var=sbar&cbt=y

This will allow us to research the drive and possibly find important information such as http://www.tsstorage...fo_e/ram2e.html there are many firmware updates for Hp/TSST Corp optical drives.

I will wait for a reply before I suggest another step.