Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE8 & Safari VERY slow, computer lags, freezes

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If these are in qoobox then they may be infected. Submit them to http://www.virustotal.com and see what they say.

Advertisements

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
OK. thanks for the suggestion

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I ran a few files through virustotal to test them & they came back clean (assuming I am reading the results right...)but can only do one at a time so that's pretty limiting when dealing with 50 gb...

Checked my c: drive. Without qbox (where the vast majority of the 1/26 files are), I'd still be missing about 5 GB of info that had previously been on the computer. When I checked Qoobox, there are only 12 small files that were created before 1/26 -- definitely not 5 GB worth. As I don't know what I'll be getting rid of (& as my backup is also very questionable), I hate to delete all the 1/26 files at this point.

Also, nothing that I found on the G (backup) drive correlates with the 120+ GB expansion. (I can't find a whole lot of files created around 1/26, can't find any huge files that popped up, there's no qoobox folder...)

Have been doing some reading -- might this be a worm of some type? Seems like all we ran would have found it but...

Edited by ToniB, 08 February 2012 - 08:46 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Attach the file

C:\Qoobox\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt

Open My Computer and right click on the G drive and select Properties. Select Tools, then Defragment Now. Have it Defragment the drive. When it finishes there is a report option. Copy and paste (or attach) that into a reply.

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
The Defrag didn't do much (anything) to the size... Extra 122 GB still there somewhere.

Both files attached.

Think I'm going to run scan to see what is ONLY in the qoobox folder. There are some files that are in there (some twice) as well as on C in another location. That seems a good place to start deleting things. Then I can see what's left & only in Qoobox folder. Looks like some of it might have come from the G backup drive...

Sound like OK plan to you for starters?

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Sometimes with defrag it finds big files that can't be defragged but this time it didn't find any.

Your C:\Qoobox\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt only shows a few files so it is not clear what else is in Qoobox that should make it so big.

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Qoobox looks like it contains a backup somehow? Thousands of files, 76,707 to be exact in 5,873 folders. Some are in there twice in different folders, 50.9 GB total...

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Can you take a screenshot of the qoobox and attach it:

http://graphicssoft....nscreenshot.htm Save the file as a .jpg or the forum won't allow it.

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Some really strange stuff going on here. First of all, it seems that the C:/QOOBOX directory is the ONLY source for some of those files it contains. Seems that they were deleted off the G (backup) drive? In any case, the corresponding folders don't show up on G. Also there are a lot of files with 0 bytes but that take up a WHOLE lot of space on C:/ drive if I'm reading the duplicate program right. (Hit a snag & had to close the duplicate program -- will post the number & size of those files when it is done re-running.)

Also, I can't activate my firewall.

Attached is the snapshot you asked for. Most or all of the subfolders in this shot look like what should be in the backup. Don't know about subfolders -- they should be going quite a ways down.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.JPG

Edited by ToniB, 11 February 2012 - 02:51 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
What appears to have happened is that the Seagate Backup folder got moved under Qoobox. This doesn't appear to be something that Combofix did since it is not in C:\Qoobox\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt. More likely a disk problem tho I've seen people do this accidentally by dragging a folder. Right click on Seagate Backup and CUT then move to C:\ and Paste (Ctrl + v). That should put it back where it belongs. I assume Seagate Backup contains backups of your hard drive and also, it appears, copies of things from different folders. You will have to decide if you need these backups. I would burn them to a DVD or CD and then delete them. That would free up a lot of space.

Advertisements

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
eeehhh... I'm a bit nervous about the cut since this computer is acting really strange & the file is very big. Dragging it to a new location won't work? There are also multiple copies of some of the files which will help with the size but I can sort that out.

Don't see any way it could have gotten dragged there -- it was on the G: (external hard drive - to keep C: moving quickly, G was only as "archive" & backup) & would have been quite a lengthly proposition. Also, the folders where these files were supposed to be (on G:) are there in parts but many folders are missing, empty, etc. (Despite the fact that there are 120+ extra GB on there.)

Not sure if all the virus checks we ran would have also checked G? Is there anything I can do to be sure it is clean & to determine where those extra 120+ GB are from?

Also, the sound is still sounding very strange/gravelly/slow. Any idea what might have caused that in the midst of this? Seems unrelated but the timing is questionable.

Thanks for your continued help!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Drag it if you want to. Same thing as cut and paste.

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I figured it was but still hated to see it "disappear"... It got stuck & I'm having to do some folders/subfolders by hand.

Any ideas or suggestions re why my firewall won't start or what to do about it? (Message was "Windows cannot start the Windows/firewall ICS (internet connection sharing) system")

Also any idea what may have made the hard drive(s) so much larger? (With C it may have been the back-up getting moved there (including duplicates) but G?) Not sure if all the virus checks we ran would have also checked G? Is there anything I can do to be sure it is clean & to determine where those extra 120+ GB are from?

Also, the sound is still sounding very strange/gravelly/slow. Any idea what might have caused that in the midst of this? Seems unrelated but the timing is questionable.

Thanks for your continued help!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I'd look on Dell for a new driver for SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.

I expect your backup software copies stuff to the G drive and if your C: suddenly ballooned up it may have copied that too.
I would just poke around on the G: drive (select Details instead of Icons and you can then click on Size Column Header to sort things by size.)

Did you ever try the Data Lifeguard Program program from Western Digital?

Post #42 http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2117877

It seems to be a problem talking to the hard drive and this might help.

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Just did that & was coming back on here to post that.

Did Quick test of C -- all came back OK, anything else I should do with that?

Poking around G -- just look for really big size? Did a search for anything modified since 1/24 but it didn't show anything much or large. Will look around though. Was also going to run file compare program to determine if sizes of similarly-named files are different.

Any other ideas?

Edited by ToniB, 12 February 2012 - 08:02 PM.