Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

install error

• Please log in to reply

spike350

spike350

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
When I try to install windows 8 dev preview on my computer (as opposed to a VM) after having formatted the hdd (therefore no working OS installed) it stops on "expanding files" at 4% and after a while I get an error message:
"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
Error code: 0x80070017"

Does this mean I'm missing drivers? I have the disc that came with my (Vista) PC called "Drivers and Utilities" if I can get them from there. There is no way for me to reinstall vista.
Thanks in advance,
Spike350

Advertisements

spike350

spike350

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Any ideas?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

When I try to install windows 8 dev preview on my computer (as opposed to a VM) after having formatted the hdd (therefore no working OS installed) it stops on "expanding files" at 4% and after a while I get an error message:
"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
Error code: 0x80070017"

Does this mean I'm missing drivers? I have the disc that came with my (Vista) PC called "Drivers and Utilities" if I can get them from there. There is no way for me to reinstall vista.
Thanks in advance,
Spike350

Sup Spike (Cool name ;) )

I ran into the same error when I first downloaded the dev preview... After hours of struggling I read somewhere that it was possible that the download was corrupt, I landed up re-downloading the ISO and wala it worked. I should of guessed after I couldn't use the USB installer, because it kept bringing up errors why it couldn't write to the USB. So I would recommend that you download it again and see if it makes a difference.

- Some tips around the web after you've downloaded a fresh one is, try use a USB installer (I used this one: http://www.microsoft..._usbdvd_dwnTool) but I see other people have better experiences with (http://www.pendrivel...-easy-as-1-2-3/)
I cannot confirm if the second one works, but I would recommend trying out the one from Microsoft first.
- If you want to write the ISO to disk write it at 4x speed.

I really hope that that will solve the problem, if not come back and we will try something new. Also a big RECOMMEND do NOT use Windows 8 Developer Preview as your main operating system, there's still tones of bugs and it's not very stable... After all that time trying to get it installed I managed to get it to boot, but I can't count how many BSOD's I got when running it, I had tones of driver issues! But good luck with your installation and have fun, I am looking forward to see where Windows 8 will finish off. I heard something about a Customer/Consumer Preview (Haven't really looked into it much though)

Peace Out :cool:

Edit: LOL, just saw post on Consumer Preview: http://www.geekstogo...-date-feb-29th/

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 05 March 2012 - 06:58 AM.

Marcus91

Marcus91

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I also had this problem! Just burned on 4x speed and it's working like charm :)

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Sup again,

I managed to get the time to download and install the Consumer Preview version... Without any error messages (Except for a VMware Error [Disable floppy drive if you come across one]) it installed perfectly, I even managed to get it installed onto a virtual machine which with that Developer's Preview was such a mission even after downloading a second time.... I must say if you are going to re-download the ISO, just jump to the Consumer Preview download; I think you can install the developer tools separately.

I've played around with it quite abit, now that I can finally use it without it BlueScreening every 2 minutes. Besides the memory lags (Possibly my VM) I haven't came across any other bugs...... I know it's off-topic but I managed to get a glimpse of the new start menu in those leaks before beta's came out and along with everyone else opinion I agreed that it wouldn't work out too well with the non-mobile fans. But I must say playing around with the new slick style and application framework I am really looking forward to seeing the final product. It will be so cool to see more applications created for dedication to Windows 8 :) Like for example I absolutely hate IE (No offense Microsoft) but couldn't help but continuously use IE for Win8... even after downloading Firefox.

Peace Out :cool:

batlon

batlon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
when i try to install windows 8 in my sony viao computer it is not installed in my computer. than i format my computer but windows 8 no installed. it is shown that your installed is now currently error.

so i need some advice for install it. please advice me.

thanks
Batlon13.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
As suggested above, try downloading a fresh copy and burning it at a low speed.