Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ghost inside my PC!

• Please log in to reply

Moneyman

Moneyman

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have 2 hard drives . Samsung and Western Digital. My main PC can't load Windows XP from Samsung Hard Drive. It shows-

"missing /or corrupt file <Windows Root>/System32/hal.dll".

My computer can't load Windows XP from Samsung Hard Drive anymore but It can load Windows XP from Western Digital. And when I connect my Samsung hard drive to another PC it loads Windows XP perfectly. There is nothing wrong with my Hard Drive.

I tried the following tricks but nothing worked-

1. Scanned for viruses

2. Updated/repaired/reinstalled/modified BIOS.

3. Repaired & Reinstalled Windows XP.

4. CHKDSK /P & /R.

5. FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, BOOTCFG /REBUILD and Fixed boot.ini

6. Formatted hard disk

7. Reinstalled windows again

8. Changed Hard disk ports

9. Removed Western digital

Do you guys know how to fix this?

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 April 2012 - 06:32 PM.
Reduced the size of font

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Strange. Can you see the Samsung hard drive while XP is loaded from the Western Digital one?

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Strange. Can you see the Samsung hard drive while XP is loaded from the Western Digital one?

Yes, I can run applications, copy files and there is a hal.dll file in the System32 folder.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Could it be a compatibility issue with the motherboard? Maybe certain drivers missing or something?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Details about the motherboard of your PC and your Samsung drive would be great (model and such).

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Details about the motherboard of your PC and your Samsung drive would be great (model and such).

Motherboard Model: INTEL D945GCNL.

Hard Drive Model: Samsung SP2004C

I don't think it's a compatibility issue as they had been running together for 3 years. This problem started 10 days ago after my UPS suddenly turned off.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Ok, let's go back a few steps. What is the boot order in your BIOS? Is the drive mentioned in the boot order?

Might want to reset the BIOS load settings to default, too. Let me know what happens.

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Ok, let's go back a few steps. What is the boot order in your BIOS? Is the drive mentioned in the boot order?

Might want to reset the BIOS load settings to default, too. Let me know what happens.

BIOS boot order:
1. DVD drive.
2. Samsung HDD.
3. WD HDD.
4. Floppy Drive.
5. PCI Device.

I've reseted the BIOS settings to Default but still the result is same.

Edited by Moneyman, 30 April 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I suggest you examine the boot. ini file on that Samsung drive

Open the drive, in Explorer
Tools, folder options, View, Check show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide Protected operating system files and then open the boot file

The fact it is listed in Boot Priority does not of course mean that it has the correct boot.ini file

It may also be worthwhile, depending on how you have set it up, examining the boot.ini, in Windows when booting from the WD

System Properties, Advanced tab, startup and recovery, settings and then the edit button.
That will open that boot.ini in notepad.
Unless of course you do have it set, as select drive from which to boot, in that case of course the boot.ini on the WD is PROBABLY irrelevant.

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I suggest you examine the boot. ini file on that Samsung drive

Open the drive, in Explorer
Tools, folder options, View, Check show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide Protected operating system files and then open the boot file

The fact it is listed in Boot Priority does not of course mean that it has the correct boot.ini file

It may also be worthwhile, depending on how you have set it up, examining the boot.ini, in Windows when booting from the WD

System Properties, Advanced tab, startup and recovery, settings and then the edit button.
That will open that boot.ini in notepad.
Unless of course you do have it set, as select drive from which to boot, in that case of course the boot.ini on the WD is PROBABLY irrelevant.

Samsung's boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

WD's boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on K:\" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on C:\" /fastdetect

I have Formatted C: drive, reinstalled XP, ran fixboot, bootcfg /rebuild commands. If there is a problem in boot.ini then how can my other PC load Windows XP from Samsung?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Edit the boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional " /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional " /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

To answer your specific question, there is no problem with the boot.ini on the Samsung drive and when it is the primary hard drive it will boot
The reason it will not boot on this computer when you take out the WD drive is I suspect, if THIS is the problem, that it is not then allocated disk 0
Again drive letters mean nothing, they are simply to some extent randomly allocated.

rdisk()
rdisk() refers to physical hard disks and starts counting from 0. Therefore rdisk(1) refers to a second disk.
Every hard disk counts, not just disks with OSs installed.
The Primary Master hard disk is always rdisk(0).
If a Primary Slave exists, it has priority over any Secondary disk(s).
If a Secondary Master exists, it has priority over a Secondary Slave.

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

If a Primary Slave exists, it has priority over any Secondary disk(s).
If a Secondary Master exists, it has priority over a Secondary Slave.

I just changed the boot.ini file. Restarted and still same hal.dll error message.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please send me the boot.ini files as they are now and would you also send me a screenshot of disk management when both drives are connected.

Control Panel, admin tools, computer management, disk management

with image on screen press prt scrn key once.
Start
Programs
Accessories
Paint
Click edit tab, click paste
Click file tab
click save as
it defaults to bitmap that is too large
save as jpeg
on reply
use full editor and attach

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Please send me the boot.ini files as they are now and would you also send me a screenshot of disk management when both drives are connected.
on reply
use full editor and attach

Attached...

Attached Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please send me the boot.ini

and please send the disk management as a screenshot following the notes of guidance for screenhot of the actual image please attached to your post, not as a zip file.

NOTE I have done it for you now.

Hope you do not think I am being awkward, but can you imagine the quantity of files I would have to open if all were sent as attachments