Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ghost inside my PC!

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am signing off but for when I come back and it will not be until about 1800

I know in your post 19 you sent me a copy of the boot.ini on the WD drive., and it was a boot ini for a dual boot.

WHEN the system was working before the Unterruptible power supply went down, was there a
triple boot option to either
win7
xp on the wd
or xp on the samsung

OR was it a dual boot on the WD to either 7 or XP
and if you wanted the xp on the samsung, you had then to key F12 or whatever for boot drive, a one off boot as against changing boot priority in BIOS

The reason I ask is, if that samsung XP was not orignally part of the BCD for the 7 on the WD, with the XP, then as I see it we do not want that samsung in the equation whilst trying to sort out the dual boot on the WD

When you boot to the WD drive, you should be able to establish if the windows 7 installatkion is still on a partition on that drive.

and the other aspect is, if you did have a dual boot with 7 and XP, then every time you booted to XP, it deleted all your restore points on 7, unless you knew of this and altered a registry key.

Not that this is of immediate concern, but you should bear it in mind for the future

Please do not forget the Pitstop my good freind and colleague phillpower2 asked for

Advertisements

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I am signing off but for when I come back and it will not be until about 1800

I know in your post 19 you sent me a copy of the boot.ini on the WD drive., and it was a boot ini for a dual boot.

WHEN the system was working before the Unterruptible power supply went down, was there a
triple boot option to either
win7
xp on the wd
or xp on the samsung

OR was it a dual boot on the WD to either 7 or XP
and if you wanted the xp on the samsung, you had then to key F12 or whatever for boot drive, a one off boot as against changing boot priority in BIOS

The reason I ask is, if that samsung XP was not orignally part of the BCD for the 7 on the WD, with the XP, then as I see it we do not want that samsung in the equation whilst trying to sort out the dual boot on the WD

When you boot to the WD drive, you should be able to establish if the windows 7 installatkion is still on a partition on that drive.

and the other aspect is, if you did have a dual boot with 7 and XP, then every time you booted to XP, it deleted all your restore points on 7, unless you knew of this and altered a registry key.

Not that this is of immediate concern, but you should bear it in mind for the future

Please do not forget the Pitstop my good freind and colleague phillpower2 asked for

There was a triple boot in Samsung . XP, XP and 7 something like-

Use older version of Windows
Windows 7 (J:/ WD)

When I selected Use older version of windows I used to get-

Windows XP Professional (C:/ samsung)
Widows XP Professional (I:/ WD)

After that I used to select whatever Windows XP I wanted to load.

But there was dual boot in WD drive. No Win 7. Like-

Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Professional

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

If I may just pitch in with the suggestion to check that overall system performance is good!

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Sorry for the late reply. I had enough with my PC yesterday. Adding and removing hard drives from one PC to another PC with a screw driver...

Here is the results-

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24900145

I haven't installed my graphics card driver in WD windows. Few months ago I installed this XP as back up. Lucky me. If it wasn't for this XP, I wouldn't be able to do all the recovery. lol

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
To be honest, if I were you, I would simply remove the WD drive temporarily, format Samsung completely (all partitions deleted) and make a fresh install of Windows on it. It shouldn't make sense for such a method not to work. Otherwise, it could very well be a hard drive issue (with some mysteries to it).

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I agree and unless I have it wrong which I do not think I have that motherboard is NOT capable of supporting windows7
http://www.intel.com...b/CS-008326.htm

2. Additionally unless the ram has not been correctly reported you only have 1Gb of ram and that is NEVER going to satisfactorily run Windows 7, with a triple boot configuration and two hard drives one of which is a Tb .

3. I do realise that these aspects are not directly related to the problem, but I am of the opinion that you are trying to configure a system setup that is incompatible with the capabilities of the computer

4. Personally, if the system was mine and AFTER trying as my colleague Amlak has suggested AND waiting for the opinion of my good colleague phillpower2

I would, providing of course that you do have an image of the windows 7 installation, or at least a backup of your data, and possibly the latter is in this case preferable, depending on when the image was created.

5. Scrap the idea of a triple boot, with two XP installations, one on each drive, and consider starting again

I would explore the conmpatability of that computer to run windows7 on the version you are using on this link here.
http://windows.micro...upgrade-advisor

using that of course whilst you have the capability to do so, in otherwords before you start the clean install of the new systems.

6. I would if that result is favourable upgrade the ram from the IGb to 2Gb if that is the max capacity of the board. - but not of course before you have satisfied yourself that the board is OK.

It seems unlikely, but I am wondering if something has been damaged in the failure of the UPS - depending of course on how this failed.

7. I would then install Windows 7 on the 1Tb drive., either a a clean install or trying first the recovery from image

8. If you are set on a dual boot with XP, do please remember, and I have mentioned it earlier about the deletion of restore points, on Windows 7, when you boot into XP, installed on the same DRIVE.
You can get round that problem by changing a registry key

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

9. You may consider, if you manage to get the Samsung drive bootable and working, installing XP on there, but as a separate installation and not configuring a dual boot.
Then using F12, as the one time change of boot priority order - when wishing to boot to the samsung.

10. Or once you have 7 installed on the Western Digital and depending on the edition of the 7, you can use this
http://windows.micro...de-in-windows-7

that is if you have the right edition of 7, not just an XP compatible mode, but a full working setup of XP.

All of my post is really for AFTER you get the results from my colleagues suggestions.

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I had been running Windows 7 for 2 years with 1 gb ram and the same motherboard but I never had a problem. So how can my motherboard be not compatible with Windows 7?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I think possibly I should have used the wording that:

YOUR motherboard according to Intel does NOT support Windows 7.
Have a look for yourself on the link I sent you on item 1 of the previous post

Also if it stays on the right page
http://downloadcente...+Board+D945GCNL

That is NOT to say that it cannot be used to run Windows 7.

It is however reasonably certain that it will never run windows 7 SMOOTHLY and with the degree of efficiency that the refinements of Windows 7 deserve

Also, you may RUN with 1Gb of ram, that does NOT mean that the system will run smoothly with one Gb of ram, in fact, the hard drive must be continaully writing and reading the paging

I have not managed to solve your problem and I greatly regret that, but even if you get the system working and FULLY bearing in mind what you say

I had been running Windows 7 for 2 years with 1 gb ram and the same motherboard but I never had a problem

I remain convinced that you are trying to run a set up, beyond the TRUE capabilities of the system.

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

It is however reasonably certain that it will never run windows 7 SMOOTHLY

It ran Windows 7 smoothly. I used softwares like Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, Adobe Dreamweaver 5, Cyberlink Power Director and played games like Mass Effect, Football Manager 2012, Civilization V, Sims 3, Sims Medieval in Windows 7. These are all latest games...

Intel wants to sell it's latest products. I don't think Intel tested before making that compatibility list. If my machine is not compatible then how does it run Windows 7?

I can still reinstall Windows 7 from dvd but I wanted to repair it(because I don't want to reinstall all the games and software again) and that's why I asked for help.

And

I don't know why my PC can't load windows XP from Samsung Drive. It's wired. There is probably a ghost sitting in my Samsung drive. I totally disconnected WD and installed XP on Samsung. Still it won't load after restart.

Edited by Moneyman, 04 May 2012 - 12:43 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

and that's why I asked for help.

I would wish to stress that help has not finished and we will still strive to achieve a result

I was simply saying that I did not think, having looked at the intel report and indeed other places as well, that the system was ideal for the setup.

Will XP boot to Safe Mode on that samsung. - that may be worth trying.
Sorry if it has already been tried - I am not sure now if it has.

Also digressing from the samsung, if you boot to the W7 dvd does that find the 7 instllation on the WD

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I would wish to stress that help has not finished and we will still strive to achieve a result

I was simply saying that I did not think, having looked at the intel report and indeed other places as well, that the system was ideal for the setup.

Will XP boot to Safe Mode on that samsung. - that may be worth trying.
Sorry if it has already been tried - I am not sure now if it has.

Also digressing from the samsung, if you boot to the W7 dvd does that find the 7 instllation on the WD

No XP won't boot to safe mode. Windows 7 dvd can find that installation on WD. I tried to repair it and it fixed the boot problem but after restart the problem was still there.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Windows 7 dvd can find that installation on WD. I tried to repair it and it fixed the boot problem but after restart the problem was still there.

Sorry could you please clarify - it fixed the boot problem AND ?

what it now boots to 7, but will not dual boot with XP on that drive or which please?

Also when you reply would you only quote anything you wish to stress, rather than the whole of my post - Thanks

If you are using the automated repair, it only fixes one thing at a time so run it until it reports NO problems.

If still no luck proceed to this
http://neosmart.net/...er from the DVD

Moneyman

Moneyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The setup said it fixed the problem and asked me to restart but after restart it couldn't find the hal.dll. I personally think it's a drive letter issue. Year ago when I installed Windows 7, It was in J:\. But after the crash it thinks it's in E:\ or I:\. When I put WD on top, Win7 thinks it's in E:\ partition and when I put Samsung on top, Win 7 thinks it's in I:\ partition. But it's actually in J:\.

I guess I have to disconnect Samsung and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows 7. It's the only way left.

My PC still can't load windows XP from Samsung. Should I remove the Dynamic drive overlay? or Should I reformat/repartition the entire Hard drive?

Edited by Moneyman, 04 May 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off early as I am due out at 0600 on a job.

I think you should
1.take out the samsung drive

2. boot again to the win7 dvd and follow the advice in my last post

3. To stress again I do not think you should try anything on the 7 O/S with the samsung connected.

If you read the last on using the 7 O/S disc and then that gets you no where I think you should progress to the manual rebuild

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Moneyman
It is now some 26 days since your last reply.
I just wondered how you went on with this