Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ridiculous , absolutely ridiculous

• Please log in to reply

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
plugged it directly into the wall, and it still did the loud constant beeping into my headphones and a screen freeze...is there a chance it isn't the 12 rail?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I highly doubt it. The only true way to test it is to try another PSU.
If the issue stops then it is the PSU. If it continues then it would be something with the screen.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You may find that your local computer shop will test it for you, either for a small fee OR if you consider their prices reasonable, most certainly for the chance to obtain a sale

As my colleague says the sure fire test is a replacement, but of course if it is NOT the PSU - a cheaper way is desirable
http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=819

NOT always reliable , especially the low cost testers., as they test by showing the PSU a dummy load and the results of the HW Monitor etc tend to suggest that it is a transient defect - in otherwords not always occuring

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
urgenthelp

I wondered if you made any progress

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 30 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi guys, sorry for ignoring this forum i have just been really upset with this problem that seems unresolvable i am suspecting it is the PSU i just haven't the money or the expertise to replace it myself right now as it looks like a complicated job much more than installing ram. However i have been fiddling with the bios alot and checking new stuff and also i have a new game called "planetside 2" i seem to crash on that alot like every minute and i only ever crash in one style nowadays the screen freezes and a buzzing,crackling kind of noise is loud on a infinite loop and also when i am playing that game the sound distorts sometimes which normally signifys a crash coming up also i have another game called arma 2 and i have never crashed on that even after months of gameplay i don't know if this means anything but there is sure something going on. I am starting to adapt to the crashes i am so used to it that if i did get this resolved it would be like winning the lottery "life changing" i am on my pc everyday and the crashes really hinder my experiance i thank you but to be honest i think the only way you could help me is if there is something in the bios i could weaken to delay crashes because i am certain its the psu. Thanks again for everybody's help and i am so sorry i have been ignoring the thread i am just so annoyed with this.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you given any thought of taking it to a shop and letting them test the PSU while under a load? This can verify if it is indeed the PSU or not.

urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i don't know about that

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You either have to have a shop test your current power supply or replace it with a new good one. These are the only two options to see if the PSU is the problem.
Normally shops charge a 25USD diagnostic fee or a new PSU could cost anywhere from 50 to 130 dollars. I think the latter is a risky adventure since you are not sure about it being the cause of the issue. I would suggest the first option to be honest with you. If they determine it is bad you could purchase a new one from them or we could help locate a name brand reliable one for you.