Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted recovery partition now can't boot OS

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My apologies, robinshawn. The instructions I posted in the previous reply were not quite as they should have been. Please use the following instead. Also, this procedure does not work on some machines, though it has worked on the majority of machines I've tried it on. Some notebooks will BSOD while starting the environment.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console.

At the command prompt, when it appears, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer boot normally to Windows...if it will.

Advertisements

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok then I'm sitting by ready for the next hoir

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Put disc in & it started booting up but then got to screen that says windows shut down to prevent damage to computer. Says restart computer & press F8 which unfortunatly doesn't work :-( next?

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I wait I didn't see the instructions hold please....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My colleague wannabe1 is offline at this time

I do not quite understand your last poat - are you now trying the instructions re the chkdsk and then going to post again

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
set computer to boot from XP disc but it wouldn't go to recovery mode when I pressed R (exasperation) I just can't seem to get into windows all my computer sees now is the linux system & I can't that to connect to Internet even, says there's an IRQ problem & missing some file called SIOCSIFFLAGS: which if I'm not mistaken has something to do with compatibility

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you used Puppy did you actually install puppy or simply run it in ram from the CD
As that message is not normally seen when Puppy is simply run from the Cd to recover your data to USB

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well I guess I'm going to hav 2 format the drive & load XP til I can get windows 7 again. What do u think about that?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You have not with respect answered my question

Did you run the Puppy ONLY in ram - please ?

It maybe that we can still retrieve this - is is a large maybe but it is worth a try.
However we really need to know what exactly you ave done

How for instance did you get this disk check - what did you use please

:-) I did some kind of test that told me I have a bad sector on the c:/ drive

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for stepping in while I was unavailable, Mac. Darn day job gets in the way sometimes, but it does put food on the table... :thumbsup:

robinshawn, what operating system are you using to reply here? Would it be Windows 7, by chance? We may be able to make a Windows 7 repair disk if you have access to another machine running Win 7.

Advertisements

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry I'm using my phone to do this & the screen is really small I missed that. I went to Pdisk drive partition manager which told me thru cfdisk "FATAL ERROR: bad primary partion 2 partition ends in the final partition cylind" and wen I did an fdisk check it says "the number of cylinders for this disk is set to 60801. There is nothing wrong with tht but this is larger than 1024, and in certain setups cause problems with: 1) software that runs at boot time (eg. , old versions of LILO) 2) booting and partioning software from other OSs (eg., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
And yes I think I've been running on RAM each test time but I'll run everthing again to make sure.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
To wannabe1: I'm using many different computers but yes I hav access to another computer 7

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Windows 7 repair disc
http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc

and in more explanative terms
ie: which can be used for which
http://www.sevenforu...isc-create.html

Please post back when you have made it and either wannabe1 or myself will reply with further guidance.
However, if you have used Pdisk on Puppy, which with respect was never part of what we recommended, you may indeed now have a serious problem.
As my colleague wannabe1 recommended Puppy ONLY for the recovery of your data from the Puppy installation running in ram, from the CD, usually to a usb flash drive, although as the guide tells you, it can be done to a CD/DVD as well.

PDisk is basically a partition manager and there are easier ways of attempting to resolve your problem than the one I think you have tried through Puppy Linux.

However the main thing is please make that repair CD and we will take it from there.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Couldn't use a computer today but will spend the day tomoro trying to fix this mess. Thx for the guidance I will let u kno wat happens.

robinshawn

robinshawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello again geeks! Amazingly I found that none of the computers I've been using have Windows 7!! So I'm banging my head about wat 2 do next. Will keep u posted.