Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

---The Blue Screen Of Death Strikes Me----

• Please log in to reply

Delcore

Delcore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Blargh..... Well, sadly, It has been 15 minutes and I fear that Mac has left. What should I do now ever since he has taken charge and is gone.

EDIT: However, at this point, I have a feeling it could be my memory as well. I agree.

Edited by Delcore, 02 August 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
He will respond once he gets back online. If you want to double check you can rerun the memtest program on the modules and let him know.

Delcore

Delcore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Would you suggest just swapping memory completely? I do happen to have extra memory.

EDIT: Thanks for the help, I'll make sure to properly attend to the problem.

Edited by Delcore, 02 August 2012 - 06:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as you are sure the other memory is compatible with your system then yes you can do that. It would also verify if it is the memory if everything runs fne with just that memory installed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Delcore

..... Well, sadly, It has been 15 minutes and I fear that Mac has left. What should I do now ever since he has taken charge and is gone.

With respect I told you I was going offline.

I told you I would post the analysis of Speccy by 2000hrs in the same post that I told you I had repaired the link to how to send me Speccy results on the URL

In fact I told you the hours I was working and explained that I would not be online tonight after posting Speccy analysis, as I was out again at work 2100 to 0300

UNFORTUNATELY it is no longer visible, as I deleted your pasted Speccy results and check my post in error.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Speccy log from post 43
http://speccy.pirifo...DBXqU6Mj2frc7fX
We will post back when everything is checked and verified so please be patient as there are other commitments which have to be met first.

:thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My first analysis of Speccy tells me you have two sticks of PNY ram

Manufacturer: PNY Electronics

Max Bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 MHz

)Part Number: 64C0MHHHJ-HS

I have checked that is NON ECC. ram

Therefore the setting you changed in the BIOS from ECC disabled to enabled needs to be returned to DISABLED.

I do NOT know now at what stage you are at, what I wanted you to do was to, first change that setting back and then in BIOS at the same time tell me if your ram is set AUTO default or if you have individually configured ram, or if you have NOT if it is set on other than the defaults

This is explained in your motherboard manual

If you have it please refer to it.

If you do not have please download it from here. It will prove very useful to you, not only now but in the event of future problems.

http://www.asus.com/...M3/M4A78TE/#MSL

YOU need now to refer to the manual if you have any dounts, I have just downloaded it and read the relevant sections

startinng 3.3.

ENSURE PLEASE ram settings are on AUTO and ensure TWEAKER screen in BIOS is AUTO

If not so set please and save and exit.

NOTE the ram slots on that board are coloured ORANGE and BLACK - two of each.

Posted Image
SO slots going from processor are A1 and B1 - orange coloured

A2 and B2 Black coloured.

WHERE please do you have the ram inserted.

YOU have four slots. You have two slots occupied SLOT one and SLOT two, please check those are the orange slots.

Place the ram in the orange slots if that is NOT where they are now.

DOES it crash - no need to run memtest at this time.

IF it does crash - take one stick of ram OUT of the orange slot and place it in the black slot
SO YOU THEN HAVE ONE STICK IN A1 -
orange

You have one stick in A2 - black
You will still be running 8Gb ram, but you will the be running single channel

That is because the two orange slots are ONE stick IN EACH channel, as are the two black.

DOES it now crash.

I presume you are familiar with removing and inserting ram, take anti-static precautions please, do NOT touch the chips on the ram, hold by the edges, release the clips at each end, ensure the notch is correctly positioned, for the slot, check the clips are still outwards and insert in the notch and gently push down along the top edge until the clips locate.

PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE - until I come back to you.

I am NOT now working tonight, I am a commercial skipper - part time and the job I had has been cancelled due to mechanical problems on the ship that we were going out to as Pilot vessel

THAT is enough for NOW please post back with the results

Thanks

Delcore

Delcore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
"With respect I told you I was going offline.

I told you I would post the analysis of Speccy by 2000hrs in the same post that I told you I had repaired the link to how to send me Speccy results on the URL

In fact I told you the hours I was working and explained that I would not be online tonight after posting Speccy analysis, as I was out again at work 2100 to 0300"

At the time, I understood you were in charge and had been going offline. The reason why I posted because was because at the present time, I also didn't notice that copy pasted the given link that was visible in Speccy was what I was suppose to send you. (Darn me for not noticing so obvious.) I knew you were leaving in 15 minutes and was trying to get the information you needed quickly without doing too much thinking... That is a fail on my part.

On the other-hand, I think I actually found my problem. As you were gone, (When I should of not done anything, so please forgive me.) I changed my memory with two ram sticks that added up to 4 gigs total.(I originally was using my other two sticks of 4 gigs of ram to = 8 gigs.) I inserted the two 2 gigs into the slots and noticed something wrong about my slot. The slot that was faulty kept giving me the blue screen of death. Now that I'm not using that slot I haven't had a blue screen since late last night and early this morning and afternoon. Before I go any further, should I check out about "Adjusting" that slot that could possibly be giving me issues to the BSOD.

As you said, I will be following your last posts instructions and will post back as soon as I am done working with the bios, I'll be checking over my Ram slots and closely examining everything. I'll come back as soon as I have done so.

Thank you for your patience.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please do not worry.

It is just that I knew I had explained all to you about when I was going and was surprised to see that you implied I had gone without telling you, after IT WAS ME, that had asked that we did tell each other.

It makes no difference, but there is no one in charge here

At the time, I understood you were in charge and had been going offline

I was simply taking over to help you, as my good colleague rshaffer61, and we often work together; was very busy, as he always is, on the site and indeed with normal home life.

PLEASE do understand that the only reason I ask people not to do anything, other than what I ask, is that when I start analysing results etc, I want to know that nothing has changed since I started, otherwise, if someone runs another possible fix, it is then becomes a clouded issue.

YOU did well, we would I think, you will agree, have achieved the same result with my suggestions for the ram.

The important aspect is that the problem appears solved.

HOWEVER if the slot is damaged etc, or whatever you percieve is wrong, then of course you may never be able to use all four.

That said, you probably would never need to.

and noticed something wrong about my slot

WHAT please did you NOTICE was wrong

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Delcore

I have been looking at Speccy for you even although your problem does of course appear to be the ram slot

1. Your graphics card is actually an XFX version of the Radeon

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (XFX Pine Group):
WHILST one can normally rely on the driver from AMD, this is not always the case, as many graphic card manufacturers, although the card uses the AMD or Nvidia chip for the GPU, install on the card other components and tweak settings on chips that make the latest driver from AMD or Nividia NOT always suitable for the card

For some unknown reason XFX have decided to require you to register to check the suitability of downloads for the XFX card

I am not of course going to register simply to check for you. WHY XFX should require users of their components to register before being simply able to check for a driver is a matter for XFX and their customers. However, this confirms what I am telling you..

from the XFX site
Important Messages
The XFX AMD Catalyst has been updated to version 12.6 please login to see if this is recommended for your card. Why do I need to register to access Support Central? We request that you register to gain access to Support Central so that we can provide the drivers, utilities and manuals that apply to your specific product serial number. By knowing your specific serial number, we can provide you with support tailored to your specific needs.

For example, the newest drivers are not always the drivers that will provide an optimal gaming experience for your specific graphics card. Our technical support team can help you troubleshoot the best solution for your unique situation

Here is the link for you

http://xfxforce.com/...lp/Support.aspx

2. From Speccy

Scheduler8/4/2012 8:00 PM;: Registry Winner Schedule

The ONLY result of using Registry Winner is LOSING. It may not happen this week, next or at any foreseen time, eventually the odds are that it will ruin your computer.

I recommend you uninstall it, stay well away from these sort of programs and accept that Windows 7, in spite of whatever failings it may have, is one of the best O/S that Microsoft have introduced.

Vista was basically just a remake of XP. Windows 7 manages it system very well. The disk cleanup and the disk defrag and many other included utlities are a vast improvement on what was available on Vista. You DO NOT need registry winner. OR any other registry cleaner optimizer etc.

If you are not convinced - read this please.

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

AND if that does not convince, I hope this will - please uninstall it.

http://www.mywot.com...istrywinner.com

I have just had a look at the registry winner. It deserves a prize - for the most ludricous statement of what it can fix, of any I have seen.

3. I may have missed it on Speccy but to save me searching it again

WHAT anti-virus are you using please.

I know you have Windows defender enabled, but I do not see a real time Virus Portection.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Delcore

How are you managing with this, would you kindly update the topic, I hope you have made progress towards a resolution.

Delcore

Delcore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I really owe my thanks to the people who helped me here. I'm sorry I left without saying a goodbye and a thank you. It turned out, only 1 out of 4 slots on my motherboard are workable for some reason. The other 3 are damaged for a reason I don't know. However, I say thank you for letting me discover this and for your time. It's really appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is great to know but did you replace the motherboard or upgrade to a better one?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Delcore
Pleased we were of some assistance

Delcore

Delcore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
The motherboard was never replaced. I'm not sure which one to buy actually. None of the ones I have searched are 5 stars only 4.