Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts When I Shut Down + Other Problems (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Your options are 1: continue the PC as it is but shut it down using Windows and turn off the mains power before it has a chance to restart. 2: trying a standard heatsink and CPU cooling fan in case it is the present cooling system causing the MB to short out. 3: worse case scenario is replacing the MB.

Advertisements

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Turn off the mains power from the PSU? While it is shutting down I just press the switch on the PSU or hold down the power button from the computer?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Turn off the mains power from the PSU? While it is shutting down I just press the switch on the PSU or hold down the power button from the computer?

No, allow Windows to shut down the computer completely and then turn off the power by way of the switch on the PSU itself or directly at the wall socket itself, whichever is easier.

NB: The above is not recommended as a permanent solution only a temporary workaround.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
okay, I will do this but for how long could I do this for until you reckon I would need a change on the whole motherboard.. Also, I was planning on upgrading my computer before but I did not know what parts I should look up for and how I will fit them but after the experiences going through with you and the knowledge I've received I feel a bit more confident in doing so.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

okay, I will do this but for how long could I do this for until you reckon I would need a change on the whole motherboard..

Sorry I could not even hazard a guess, see this option http://www.sevenforu...ult-action.html

Good to see that you feel that you have gained something from this, picking parts for a new build would probably be harder for you now than you actually assembling them, which again is a + in your favour.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
So really, the only thing that I would changing at the moment is the motherboard and if I want further upgrades, it'll be the RAM sticks?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
The problem that you have is which hardware can you trust, personally I would steer clear of liquid cooling also.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Then that would mean that i'll need to know what to do like to remove it/replace

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
If the computer was given to me to troubleshoot the first thing that I would do is obtain a stock heatsink and cooling fan, remove the liquid cooling system, remove the processor itself and inspect the pins on the CPU and the socket itself.

If the CPU and socket both look good reseat the CPU and clean off the old thermal paste, if the new heatsink does not have a preapplied thermal pad apply some thermal paste to the top of the CPU and attach the heatsink and fan and then try the barebones set-up and see how it goes.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I think the fan I can get as it is connected with the watercooling.. the heatsink however, I don't know much about as well as this thermal paste and I have no clue how to do this

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
The present fan is not the correct type as it is an exhaust fan and should be mounted correctly at the rear of the case to expel the hot air from the inside of the case, you will also need a heatsink, an example of what you require which has pre-applied thermal paste http://www.amazon.co...62222655&sr=8-8

Just a FYI, all you need to know about thermal paste and it`s application http://www.arcticsil...l_line_v1.1.pdf

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
so is that heatsink with the fan all I will need? This is going to replace where the watercooling is?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Correct on both counts.

Before you purchase anything remove the present cooling system and CPU so that the CPU pins and MB socket can be inspected for signs of damage.

Please keep in mind that if the MB is bad replacing the heatsink and fan will not solve the problem, it is the least expensive item to replace + it can also be used with any replacement same socket MB should the CPU be ok but the MB bad, hence the reason why the CPU pins should be inspected for signs of damage before you purchase anything.

Tip: Before you remove the present cooling system and CPU, run the barebones set-up for a while so that the CPU gets hot, shut it down and disconnect the electrical supply, remove the cooling system from the top of the CPU.

This is suggested so that the present thermal paste softens and makes removing the cooling system easier and avoids pulling the CPU from the MB socket prematurely.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
The CPU pins and MB socket is underneath the watercooling?

How long should I run the computer for before removing the cooling system

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

The CPU pins and MB socket is underneath the watercooling?
The CPU is underneath the water cooling module and the pins beneath the CPU where they plug into the socket.
How long should I run the computer for before removing the cooling system
Five minutes is plenty of time.

Some information to help you, please disregard any advertising http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=2676