Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't get a system image on a USB drive!

• Please log in to reply

Article86

Article86

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have an HP bundled Windows 7 (SP1 fully updated) machine, with a 500 GB HD that has a C:/D: partition in it. The 12 GB D: drive has the HP OEM Windows intsall package that I installed to C: when I purchased it. Here's the deal ... This machine is over 4 years old and I'm concerned about having a catastrophic HD failure. If so, I won't be able to reinstall the OS on a new drive, nor will I have an image backup available if it's just a system file problem, etc. This is the only time that I haven't built my machine and it will be my last for sure! I have literally waisted days on this and it has driven me nuts.

As MS puts it, 'if it's a file problem, I can reinstall back to the original OS installation' and lose everything after day one, then I can use backups for my personal files'. If that happens I don't want to use a plain-old (or even new) backup and then have to reload all of my programs and downloads, nor do I want to buy another disk OS and a new drive. I want to just install a recent disk image and be done with it. I purchased a USB 2.0 64 GB Centon DataStick Pro to do this but I keep hitting brick walls ... "not a valid drive" and "not enough disk space" errors (I only have about 30 GB that I need to image), and all types of formatting problems. I have finally have the DataStick formatted to NTFS at full capacity. I've tried third-party utilities that claim to accomplish the task only to get bogged-down with nagware, adware, and spyware that his infiltrated my OS with all kinds of unwanted or dubious files. I have been to all kinds of forums looking for an answer, but suggestions just turn up more problems and questions. I saw an old post in this forum that had the same problem/request, however, the author of the post came back and just said that he "... defragged a bunch of times with various different tools and viola!" and the problem was solved. He was specific about nothing.

If there is anything that I can add to clear up my specific problem, please ask. I will be diligently watching this thread for any suggestions/ideas. I know that someone out there has had this problem. Thank you VERY much in advance.

- the original "Article_86"

Edited by Article86, 14 February 2013 - 04:21 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Normally on a branded computer with pre-installed software the recovery parttion is installed before the point of sale and will recover the computer from an F key to factory condition.

Many branded computers, come with the ability to copy the recovery partition to a DVD/flash drive/external drive and/or make a DVD to boot the computer and access that recovery drive if it will not boot to the opportunity to use the recovery drive in the normal way

2. Creating an image, normally means a complete image of the drive and you cannot choose which partitions or files to image

On windows 7 this is done via Control Panel, backup and restore, create system image on left pane and repair disc

Untitled.jpg

4. Alternatively 3 rd party software may be used such as the free Easeus Todo backup - I have used it a couple times on computers.Although my advice is two imahes one from the Control Panel and one from the 3rd party software

It is simple to use, effective has a full user guide

http://www.todo-back...me/download.htm

5.You should also of course retain simple backups of personal data to update the recovered image, and if the system changes in any main regard, you should make a new image

6.. I suspect although of course I do not yet have enough information, that you cannot image to the flash drive,as although you say you only have 30Gb you wish to image it is as explained above an IMAGE of the drive, not merely what you wish to image

7.. What is the full model please of the HP

I have also replied to your topic here

http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 February 2013 - 05:40 PM.

Article86

Article86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Macboatmaster!

I have read your reply and appreciate the fast response! It appears that I didn't explain enough, but your fix was close to what I was looking for. I will get back with more information soon. There are some RL things that I must get done first. I'll talk to you soon, hopefully.

Hey, I just had an idea (no, that's not your GPU on fire)... if you had Skype or an equivelant, perhaps we could do this by video. My problem would be easier to explain, because I have tried many different thigs. My only IM that I use is with Skype ... I don't trust most of them, but if you have a method that would be best for you, I'll give it a shot. I can call you through Skype, or the regular telco system, too. It's your call.

Thanks again - Art

Edited by Article86, 16 February 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

My only IM that I use is with Skype ... I don't trust most of them, but if you have a method that would be best for you, I'll give it a shot. I can call you through Skype, or the regular telco system, too. It's your call.

Sorry cannot be done, as all help must be on the forums

From our Terms of Use

Help is permitted in the forums only. No support is offered, or allowed via Personal Message or email

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 February 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Article86

Article86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

So be it-

I have Macrium now an that solves my problem.  Sorry for the late response.  - Art

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Ahhh, Macrium Reflect, a very good program!  Did you begin making full image backups onto usb external hard-drives?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Just a heads up RolandJS, the OP was post 14 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Just a heads up RolandJS, the OP was post 14 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hey, this thread, if topic or keyword-searched for, can be helpful to others this year too.  :)