Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server Not Found/System Restore Not Working

• Please log in to reply

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

I will try connecting directly to the router sometime today.

That isn't what I meant. You will need to disconnect the Ethernet cable that comes from the DSL modem to the back of the router from the router. Then connect it directly into the Ethernet adapter in the desktop computer. In other words, take the router out of the loop completely.
Once you see if the computer connects you will then simply disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet card in the computer and reconnect it to the router, placing the router back in the loop. :)

Advertisements

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I am being dumb. The back of my router in the livingroom has the 12v plug, cable, usb and ethernet. There is nothing plugged into the ethernet slot. On the back of my computer is the ez connect adapter. There is no ethernet cable in the back of my router.

I should say we have the router in the livingroom. In the bedroom where my desktop is there is a modem that the is for the phone. Does that make a difference?

Edited by tuffstuff, 24 May 2013 - 03:00 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Now I'm a bit confused. Can you tell me how your Internet Service Provider has you connected to the internet? Usually it's through a DSL modem or a Gateway which is the DSL modem and a router combined so you don't need an additional router. But since you keep saying "the router" I'm assuming that you have a third party router.

In the bedroom where my desktop is there is a modem that the is for the phone.

Are you talking about the modem built into the desktop or is there a modem that the ISP provided?
A very common connection is that the ISP provides, or sells, a DSL modem that can be connected to the desktop through the Ethernet card in the desktop via a Ethernet cable, or you can connect the Ethernet cable from the DSL modem to a router and then use all wireless connections.
A Gateway would not have a Ethernet cable connected to it unless it was connected to the Ethernet card in the computer. So I'm not really sure how you are connected to the internet and what you mean by there is a modem in the bedroom where the desktop is for the phone. Would you clarify that for me please?

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
forget what I said about the modem in the bedroom it is for the phone service. We have a motorola gateway for the internet service in the livingroom and in the back of my computer is an ez connect provided by TWC to pick up the wireless internet. Sorry for the confusion, I confused myself. I am a little hazy on what you want me to do.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Thanks for the clarification. Here is what I want you to do:
The first thing I want you to do is write down the model number of the Motorola Gateway.
NEXT:
Your desktop has an Ethernet card inside it according to the MiniToolBox scan you posted. There will be an Ethernet connection on the back of the computer. It will look just like the Ethernet connection on the Gateway in the living room.
I want you to take the desktop to the living room and put it close enough to the Gateway so that an Ethernet cable can be connected from the Gateway to the Ethernet connection in the back of the computer.
Connect the Gateway to the desktop with the Ethernet cable and disconnect the ez connect USB wireless connection from the desktop.
Now boot the computer. If the Ethernet card is working this should make the Ethernet adapter your default internet connection.
Now connect to the internet and see if you keep getting kicked off.

Things For Your Next Post:
Please post the logs in the order requested. Do Not attach the logs unless I request it.
1. Let me know if connecting to the internet using the Ethernet card has stabilized your connection.
2. Please provide the model number of the Motorola Gateway.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
ok I have to buy an ethernet cable so it will be tomorrow before I can get it. That isn't an ethernet cable that the ez connect is connected to? It has a usb symbol on it.

Motorola Gateway SGB900 Serial: 05ND5B7MM9B2

Edited by tuffstuff, 26 May 2013 - 01:09 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Thanks for the Motorola model number.

That isn't an ethernet cable that the ez connect is connected to? It has a usb symbol on it.

No. I dont' think the ez connect has a cable does it? At any rate it's not an Ethernet connection.
Her are a couple of links that will show you what a Ethernet connection looks like:
http://techreport.co...ug-ethernet.jpg
http://moderncompute...hernet-Port.jpg

Look on the back of the desktop and find the Ethernet card. The cable that goes in to it looks like a bigger phone line connector. There should also be on on the back of the Motorola. You want to connect the Ethernet cable to the back of the Motorola and then to the Ethernet card in the back of the desktop. Then disconnect the ez connect and start the computer. The Ethernet card should find the cable connection, if it's still working, and thus let you connect to the internet thru the Ethernet card.

When buying the cable at a brick and mortar store is inevitable, then some made in China cable at Walmart may be the cheapest (it is here where I live anyway). Avoid places like BestBuy, Staples, etc... where profit margins depend mostly on cable and ink sales :rolleyes:
You can also get a CAT5e cable instead of CAT6 because they are cheaper and plenty fast for this purpose.
You can also check your local thrift store.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
thank you I am off Wed and will go to walmart

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I have hooked the desktop up with the ethernet cord and it has now been 20 minutes and it is still going and I have several windows open. It is also faster. What do I do now? 40 minutes and it's still on.

I unhooked the ethernet cable and plugged in the ez connect wireless adapter while still in the livingroom just to see and it stopped after 5 minutes online. So does that mean it is the network card inside the desktop?

If it is you mentioned going with a wireless card. I have no idea what to buy. I am so happy it is something fixable.

Edited by tuffstuff, 30 May 2013 - 10:22 AM.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Is it difficult to put in a wireless card. Also would I have to order one or do any of the stores have them? Would Walmart or would I need to go to Best Buy?

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

I have hooked the desktop up with the ethernet cord and it has now been 20 minutes and it is still going and I have several windows open. It is also faster. What do I do now? 40 minutes and it's still on.

I'm glad the Ethernet card allows you to connect uninterrupted. What we do now is see if the internet problem is with the ez connect wireless adapter or it it is a problem with Windows.

I unhooked the ethernet cable and plugged in the ez connect wireless adapter while still in the livingroom just to see and it stopped after 5 minutes online. So does that mean it is the network card inside the desktop?

No it isn't the network card inside the desktop. That's what you connected the Ethernet cable to. It is either a bad ez connect wireless adapter or a problem with the Windows wireless connection. And since you have uninstalled and installed SP3 so many times it may be that the wireless connection has become corrupted. So first we are gonna have you delete the exixting wireless connection and then Windows will re-create it. Then you can try the ez connect wireless adapter again and see if you can get a continuous connection.

If it is you mentioned going with a wireless card. I have no idea what to buy. I am so happy it is something fixable.

We will get to this if re-creating the wireless connection doesn't work.

• Close any open browsers and disconnect the Ethernet cable from the back of the computer and the Motorola router.
  • Plug the ez connect wireless adapter back into the computer.
Remove and re-create the wireless network connection

• Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl in the Run box and then click OK.
  • Right-click your wireless network connection, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Wireless Networks tab.
  • Under Preferred networks, click your wireless network (this would be the ez connect wireless network, or whatever Windows shows it as), and then click Remove.
  • Click View Wireless Networks.
  • Under Network Tasks, click Refresh Network List.
  • Under Choose a wireless network, click the wireless network to which you want to connect (this would be the ez connect wireless network), and then click Connect.
Now connect to the internet and see if the connection stays on. IF it doesn't:

1. Move the ez connect wireless connector to a different USB port and see if that resolves the problem. IF it doesn't:

1. Please provide the make and model number of the desktop and we will try to see if there are any empty PCI slots in it and go from there.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
ok I will try that. I moved the desktop back in the bedroom and haven't hooked it back up yet. I may not get a chance today as I am working a double shift.

If it is the ez connect, I switched to the one my sister had and it still didn't work. I also had the problem before I installed SP3 that is the reason I posted on the XP forum.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I removed and refreshed the network and plugged the ez connect into another slot. It lasted 10 minutes that's all.

I have a Gateway 5026E serial # cct5a b10 06604.

What is the use of putting in a wireless card if resfreshing the network and using another ez connect doesn't help?

We looked on the back of the modem in the bedroom that has the phone connected to it. There is an ethernet, so we plugged the ethernet cable into it and the computer. We are going to see if that works.

Is it okay to keep it plugged into the modem in the bedroom that has the time warner phone connection?

Edited by tuffstuff, 31 May 2013 - 07:37 AM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
It could be that the ez connect USB adapters have just gone bad. I don't know if you had to install software for the ez connect adapters when you first set them up, but if you did if could be that the files for the adapter are missing or corrupt. If you have the set up software for the ez connect adapters you might be able to reinstall it. The wireless card will come with installation software. Once that is installed it should work independently of the Windows software. And you will get a better connection.
I am in the process of looking at your system's configuration and I'll be back with what I find.

tuffstuff

tuffstuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I still have the ez adapter cd that Time Warner left. I don't mind using the ethernet cable because I have it hooked up to the bedroom phone modem and everything is okay.