Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I remove the MBR:Alureon-G [Rtk] [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
It's working now.

Advertisements

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
It's happening again. Am I just supposed to disable Spybot S&D?

Fraud.Foxit.daws

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Spybot allerts to Simple System Tweaker on the laptop but not on the desktop. Both Spybot programs are up to date.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
It was Spybot Search & Destroy that was keeping the laptop from shutting down. After it alerted to the tweaking program and didn't alert on the desktop, I uninstalled it from the laptop and now the computer is working normally. I'm gonna reinstall Spybot again on the laptop to see if it still gives me a problem. If it does, I'll have to find another program that does the same thing as Spybot.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Other things weren't working correctly either! The Windows magnifier wasn't starting when Windows booted up. Now it's there when Windows starts. :) The magnifier was responding to the mouse, very slowly before. Now it's much faster! Pretty much, normal. :)

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Other things weren't working correctly either! The Windows magnifier wasn't starting when Windows booted up. Now it's there when Windows starts. :) The magnifier was responding to the mouse, very slowly before. Now it's much faster! Pretty much, normal. :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK sorry for the delay I had some hardware problems yesterday :)

Disable Spybot as it is not a fraud, I use that on my system (well the more advanced version)

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Windows Repair, done. System still acting poorly. I'll test it over a day or so. I tends to start functioning worse after a short while.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Keep me informed as to the main problems and I will see what else I can find out

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
A day or so later....... Nothing's changed. When I first turn on the computer, everything seems fine except the windows magnifier doesn't open like it's supposed to... but as the minutes go by, things get worse and worse. Main problems: Very slow shutdown... and 'the connection was reset', when I try to get into a site. I can go to Google, and I can get results to a search, but I can't go into a site.
I used the system config utility to do a clean boot to try and trace down the problem but it didn't seem to help at all. I went into the registry and changed the value of AutoEndTask from 0 to 1. It didn't help. I think I remember reading something about a dll file or something, that needed to be replaced? Can't find it again. I even went back to trying to reset the password on the BIOS... but had no luck with that either. Opening the case to this laptop is impossible, especially if you can't see too well. :) If I could reset the BIOS password, I'd just reinstall the OS and that would be the end of it. :(

Can you think of anything else that might help with the 'connection was reset' and the slow shutdown thingie?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The BIOS password should not be relevant or is it stopping you from setting the CD as first boot device ? .

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
That's what it's doing. So I can't just wipe the system and start over. And there's no code that might be a clue as to what the password actually is! After typing an incorrect password a few times, it just says "System Disabled" I think. No numbers to use to get the password. :(

After I did a defrag, when I move the magnifier around on the screen, it responds quicker but the other stuff is unaffected.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It does sound as though it could do with a fresh install

You have completed a defrag .. and the system speeded up a bit

Lets check the net settings

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Posted Image
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I attached the report.....Attached File  Result.txt   20.77KB   231 downloads

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Oops... Firefox was not closed. I can do it all again.