Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Instead of running chkdsk /f run chkdsk /r

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I've might of used /f and /r both in the past. The F fixes errors the R recovers data or attempts. Ok I take it either will need to be done at startup. I will check back with ya after its done.

Edited by cmislin, 17 October 2013 - 12:43 PM.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I forgot the straight chkdsk /r is typically super quick. It was done pretty quick said disk was clean. Ya normally I go threw and select the hard drive and both options under Error-checking. But ya disk clean.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually chkdsk /r usually takes longer to do because it is 5 stages where the /f is only 3 stages that it checks.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Well those 3 stages must of been super quick because it was about 30 seconds if that.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Another BSOD and didn't have chrome open but firefox with like 4 tabs and League of legends (1st time its happened when firefox and LOL were open) Also bluescreen viewer didn't get the mini dump nor did windows noticed it but whocrash got it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   583bytes   169 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry it has been so long on my response. Was in the hospital for the last 4 days. Have you checked into a bios upgrade for your motherboard?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Its ok and no I haven't. I'm not sure how that actually works I can tell ya my MB info is MSI g41m-e43 / g41m-p33 model number ms-7592

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks like there is a update available HERE but make sure you understand how to do this before attempting.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
whats the typical way to install these? Because I'm really not sure the best way. I know I never been able to get a usb device to read during bootup to make it easier. Also I hope your doing better.

Edited by cmislin, 21 October 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The last time I updated a bios was when floppy disks were still being used. I suspect you can do it making a bootable cd and boot to it. Some newer boards will actually allow you to do a in place update from within windows. According to MSI's site HERE your mother has the live update option.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
So that means what? Like DL install and follow prompts or what? Or is it all done in bios? Also I don't have live update installed. Can I get it off that site as well?
t

Edited by cmislin, 21 October 2013 - 09:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Scroll down the list till you see the below. This is the Live update program.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I take it I can run that and it will install the bios update or get it ready to install and then reboot and ok?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should install the new bios software but I want to warn you if it has the option to backup the existing bios then please back it up. If something goes wrong you will need that to get your system back up and running.