Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLUE SCREEN, (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
iammykyl ... I am going to try this .... will update you as soon as I can ..... ty

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
PSU?? Are you referring to the cpu?? My tower??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death
The original issue you started this topic for.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Oh ok ty rshaffer61

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I am a bit confused .... so you want me to open my cpu up??

Theses instructions confuse me .... With the PSU off. (Is this the tower/cpu??
Move the jumper on the clear CMOS pins (have no idea what this is), leave for ten seconds, then move back to original positions. Switch on the PSU,

Ive reviewed the screen shot and I am unsure

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Turn off the power wall socket, unplug the cable on the back of the tower going to the power supply unit, (PSU)
Please watch this video, you need to do the first part, moving the jumper plug over, leave for 10 seconds then move back. > https://forum-en.msi...78956#msg178956

I am a bit confused .... so you want me to open my cpu up??

No, not the CPU. Open the computer tower by removing the side panel. then please follow the instruction.
Disconnect all USB devices, except the keyboard. Remove all discs from the optical drives.

With the side panel removed.

1. Touch a bare metal part of the computer case for 1 second.
2. Locate the CMOS Jumper block. (see first image.)
3. Clear the CMOS.
4 Replace the side panel.
5. Plug the cable into the back of the tower, > plug the cable into the wall socket and switch on.
6 Press the start button.
Do the lights flash on the kb? then one light remain lit?
Does the POST messages scroll on the display?
What is finally displayed on the screen?
How are the four diagnostic lights lit on the front of the computer?

edit.
ignore the reference to immage 3 in the below screenshot.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Oh ok .. that video helped a lot ... very helpful .. I read everything and viewed the video three times. Once I do this do I boot from cd again and pick up from there or do I go back into bios and change my boot sequence again to boot from hd??

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
After instruction 6, Press the start button.
Please answer the questions first so we know what happened.
Do not do anything else, I, or a colleague will post further instructions.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok did the steps after viewing the video once again .... i could not locate the cmos jumper so I did as the video suggested if I couldn't find it and that was to take the battery out and shot it which I did ... as I pulled out balls of balls of due balls out of the inside I noticed a small clip which according to the description and location of the video and manual it was the cmos. So i decided to pull it out and short i think thats what its called and then put it in its original position. I sure hope this was ok .. I should not done so but once I saw it without thinking I pulled it out.

Ok plugged power cord and kb usb back in ..... turned it on .... the kb lit up but did not flash, lights on kb are on. I don't think that kb ever flashed but i can't be to sure since that is something I never really noticed. As for the diagnostics lights which I believe are the lights on the front of my tower all 3 are lit .. not sure if there are 4 as I do not clearly see if there is suppose to be a 4th on.

Not sure what you mean by "Does the POST messages scroll on the display?" Once it turned on I got a black screen ..

It has all kinds of description of the comp and the copyright info on the top .. but the bottom says ::

Performing automatic IDE configuration ....
Drive 1: Disc Drive
Drive 4: CD-ROM Device
Drive 5: CD-ROM Device
Floppy diskette seek failure
Time-of-day not set - please run setup program
Invalid configuration information - please run step program
Alert! System battery low.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will need to go into the setup as it is called which should be the bios.
In there you will have to disable the floppy drive seek.
Set the time and date again.
If your system has auto drive then use that to identify your drives.
The message you get on the low cmos battery may be a indication of the problem. If the battery is low it will need to be replaced and you will have to repeat the above steps again.
The battery can be bought from most computer shops, Radio Shack or even a watch repair shop.
They run about $5 to $10 for a battery.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Auto drive? Didn't see anything that said auto detect for my drives.

Drives 1, 4 & 5 says "on"

I disabled floppy.

What should I do next? Or do I have to replace battery before continuing??

Also set time & date

Still in bios

Edited by Lexy610, 01 March 2014 - 07:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Save and exit. The system will then boot up. You really won't know if the battery is bad till you shutdown for the night and then restart in the morning. If the battery is actually low then the settings will have to be redone again.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi ... it rebooted .. I was able to get the blue screen windows again and I WAS able to click on R for repair but now I am getting setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running manufacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Set up can not continue. To quite setup, press F3.... still on that screen will wait for next set of instructions. ty

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you need to go back into the bios and find where it shows your hard drive. There may be a auto detect in that area when you click on the hd a little window may pop up.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
K .. give me a sec ...