Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLUE SCREEN, (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
No I don't have those on the back of my cpu .... they're all USB ports

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we need to find a RC you can use to restore back.
If you have Windows XP CD...

1. Boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R:

Posted Image

3. You'll find yourself at this screen:

Posted Image

4. Once you are at the Recovery Console you will be given at least one choice of Windows installations. Normally the choice you want is the number 1 choice. Click the number 1 key at the "top" of the keyboard and click enter.

NOTE: at this point your numbers to the right of your keyboard are turned off. If you insist on using these keys for your numbers remember to hit the Numbers Lock key before clicking a number over there or your computer will automatically reboot and you will have to wait through the previous steps to get back to the console.

5. You will be given a message asking for the administrator password. Unless someone or something has messed with your computer there is no password so you just click the Enter key.

6. This will bring you to a prompt that says:

C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-6

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found this in my library of links.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
So do I just do as your last post or both?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The last post should get you the RC and the post before that will get you the steps to restore back to a previous point starting with step 3

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok. Finally home. Will start working on it in a few.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok I finally d/l the RC onto another dell tower I borrowed ... now I d/l the other two things??

Im sorry .. I just a little confused as to what to do next.

Edited by Lexy610, 27 February 2014 - 11:44 PM.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok I burned the iso img using BCDCC ... what do I do next? I put it on the computer whose kb & mouse isn't working and nothing is happening. Then I retried it and rebooted and hit f8 to see if there was an option to boot from CD but theres not so I am at a lost :(

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
After giving up using the cd .. I tried two other things ..

I rebooted/f8 then went into directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only) which then took me to 3 other options and I saw MS Recovery Console I clicked on that and it just went to a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left corner ....

then I rebooted/f8 then went into enable boot logging that took me to the same 3 options so I clicked MS recovery console and that too took me to black screen with blinking cursor top oft corner.

I tried those two things after burning the img of the iso not a cd ... i then t it in my non working dell and rebooted .. nothing happened.

Im I doing something wrong?

Oh Ive also tried booting normally and clicked on MS recovery console and same thing

Edited by Lexy610, 28 February 2014 - 09:23 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At the MSrecovery can you use the kb there?

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
No. Once I click on Ms RC I get a black screen with a blinking cursor. Can't do anything else. Doesn't do anything else once I get that black screen.

Edited by Lexy610, 28 February 2014 - 09:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that is what I was afraid of with the USB kb because the RC will load default drivers for DOS which does not include a USB driver. Let me see if there is another way to do this by adding a USB support in the RC.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Omg all of this bc of a driver update?? I need to get into my computer I have a work document that us due today :(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK a fellow Tech suggested going into the bios and check to see if you can turn on USB support to see if that would do the trick.
There also may be a legacy support option to enable. I would look under onboard peripherals for the settings.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok. Should be home in an hour or so. Will update you soon. Thank u so much