Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC locking up and freezing.

locking up freezing crashing

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I actually sometimes struggle with 8Gb, sometimes Battlefield 4 and Google Chrome will hit the cap and cause me to get yanked out of the game by an error message. Granted that's with like 50 tabs open, but I think it's better to future-proof the PC as much as possible. I don't think 32Gb of RAM will ever be needed, we'll have migrated to DDR4 before then which would probably require new CPUs as well as new boards, but it's better to have the option and not need it, than to need it and not have it in my opinion. 

He can get a good 5 or 6 years minimum out of that 8350 so I think it's a good idea to have options. 

Advertisements

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I don't see it stated anywhere 100% compatibility, there are 3 revisions of the 990fx - UD3, which version of board was the Ram tested with and which version of the board do you have, 2 X 4GB modules of Ram is all that you need + you still have the scope to add another 2 X 4GB modules in the future should you need to, btw, by the time we need to have 32GB of Ram your MB will have been retired for many, many years and so there is no gain to be had by using 8GB modules in any capacity.

AMDs list of partners

AMD Memory is designed to deliver memory that is optimized and certified for AMD Platforms and components and also delivers quality and reliability to compatible chipsets and processors from other manufacturers. High-quality DRAM parts (no ETT) help ensure no dropouts and no data loss. With AMD memory you get the performance you need for all your applications.

Features:
- Black PCB
- Black high performance heatspreaders
- SPD programmed at: JEDEC standard 9-9-9-24 values at 1333MHz.
- CAS Timings: 9-10-9-27
- Dual Channel Kit: (2x8GB)
- 100% tested at 1866MHz in AMD 990FX & Kaveri APU based motherboards
- Lifetime Warranty

I'm thinking i'll go for the 16GB of AMD 1866 ram. 1) it's only a little more than what i paid in the first place for my King Red which i'll sell. 2) It does say tested with 990fx boards so while it might not be 100% as i thought, if by some chance I get the same problem I think AMD would accept a return on it? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

rewan101 will make the final decision on which Ram that is decided on and we can only offer guidance, you are in server and games programming etc territory with 16GB of Ram + you said yourself that you had 50 tabs open and other things going on before you had an issue with BF4 which is a most demanding game, here is some information on Ram usage.

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

rewan101 will make the final decision on which Ram that is decided on and we can only offer guidance, you are in server and games programming etc territory with 16GB of Ram + you said yourself that you had 50 tabs open and other things going on before you had an issue with BF4 which is a most demanding game, here is some information on Ram usage.

Yeah, I'm not saying 16Gb is necessary, just that personally I find myself wishing I had more than 8Gb in some situations. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

I see where you are coming from,  I have heard a common saying uttered many a time  " its better looking at it than looking for it "  :)

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I see where you are coming from,  I have heard a common saying uttered many a time  " its better looking at it than looking for it "  :)

Yeah, if I managed my RAM usage better I'd definitely have no issues, so you are correct when you say 16Gb isn't necessary, but I'd much rather have 16Gb and just never have to think about RAM again, it's probably a pretty lazy outlook but when I can afford a new board the first thing I'll do is get another couple of Vengeance modules in there.  

I guess it depends on what Rewan101 wants to do. 

The reason I'm in this thread by the way is that I know Rewan101 IRL and have been helping him build his first PC, don't want you to think I'm muscling in on your territory Phill, lol. 

Edited by averysadman, 10 May 2014 - 11:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Yeah, if I managed my RAM usage better I'd definitely have no issues, so you are correct when you say 16Gb isn't necessary, but I'd much rather have 16Gb and just never have to think about RAM again, it's probably a pretty lazy outlook but when I can afford a new board the first thing I'll do is get another couple of Vengeance modules in there.  

The reason I'm in this thread by the way is that I know Rewan101 IRL and have been helping him build his first PC, don't want you to think I'm muscling in on your territory Phill, lol. 

:laughing:  :spoton:

Not a problem averysadman, the more the merrier and we appreciate your input, it gives a balance to the information  :thumbsup:

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

:laughing:  :spoton:

Not a problem averysadman, the more the merrier and we appreciate your input, it gives a balance to the information  :thumbsup:

Hey, just ordered the 2x8GB sticks of AMD ram suggested in this thread. It should work fine and if not im sure I can return it to AMD as it'l be within warranty and even within the mandatory 14 day return time in british trading law if the product is defective so that should be fine. And I went for 16GB as I do have the cahs and this pc is my present to myself for getting through 7 months working a [bleep] job in a different country :P. Bring on the games. Thanks for the help in diagnosing the problem. =]

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I don't see it stated anywhere 100% compatibility, there are 3 revisions of the 990fx - UD3, which version of board was the Ram tested with and which version of the board do you have, 2 X 4GB modules of Ram is all that you need +

I can't actually find any test details even on AMD.  100% tested at 1866MHz in AMD 990FX & Kaveri APU based motherboards appears on the sale page.

Anyone wanting less, 2x4GB = 8GB, same claim,  > http://www.overclock...n=affiliate/tag

And I went for 16GB as I do have the cahs and this pc is my present to myself for getting through 7 months working a [bleep] job in a different country  :P. Bring on the games. Thanks for the help in diagnosing the problem. =]

Once your up and running, as you have RAM to spare, AMD RamDisk may be of use, > http://www.amd.com/e.../memory/ramdisk.

Your welcome rewan101. team effort get the job done.   

Please let us know how the system performs, notice any improvement with the faster RAM?.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Yes I hope to hear that you are happy with the new Ram and can enjoy your gaming in peace (not literally in BF4 etc  ;) )

AMD btw could help people make a more positive decision if they stated that the Ram had been tested and was 100% guaranteed compatible with all versions of AMD 990FX & Kaveri APU based motherboards, I doubt that they can or will though due to not all boards being tested with the Ram, also keep in mind that it is the MB manufacturer who stipulates the QVL and not the Ram or CPU provider, Gigabyte for their part do state as far back as the rev 1.0 version of the MB "To support a DDR3 1866 MHz (and above) memory, you must install an AMD AM3+ CPU first." Gigabyte have clearly made the effort to help people who are considering the MB make the right decision.

Advertisements

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Yes I hope to hear that you are happy with the new Ram and can enjoy your gaming in peace (not literally in BF4 etc  ;) )

AMD btw could help people make a more positive decision if they stated that the Ram had been tested and was 100% guaranteed compatible with all versions of AMD 990FX & Kaveri APU based motherboards, I doubt that they can or will though due to not all boards being tested with the Ram, also keep in mind that it is the MB manufacturer who stipulates the QVL and not the Ram or CPU provider, Gigabyte for their part do state as far back as the rev 1.0 version of the MB "To support a DDR3 1866 MHz (and above) memory, you must install an AMD AM3+ CPU first." Gigabyte have clearly made the effort to help people who are considering the MB make the right decision.

Yeah it's only through this process that I learned what a QVL actually IS. I think the ram i've gone for is a safe bet, but i'll definitely be advising other people to follow their QVL in the future!

Edited by rewan101, 11 May 2014 - 03:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

The Kingston Red is very good Ram and I would not have thought you would have had any issues with it, this instance is proof if it were needed that the QVLs serve a good purpose, the problem is though that new Ram and CPUs are released more often than MBs so the MB manufacturers would have a tough time testing all products.

Your new Ram should function ok as it ticks 2 out of the 3 boxes it needs to, it is AM3+ compatible and it has been tested by AMD to work with the FX8350.

rewan101

rewan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

The Kingston Red is very good Ram and I would not have thought you would have had any issues with it, this instance is proof if it were needed that the QVLs serve a good purpose, the problem is though that new Ram and CPUs are released more often than MBs so the MB manufacturers would have a tough time testing all products.

Your new Ram should function ok as it ticks 2 out of the 3 boxes it needs to, it is AM3+ compatible and it has been tested by AMD to work with the FX8350.

New ram in, computer froze after less than half an hour. Looks like i'm going to have to get the exact ram my brother is using as that's the only one that hasn't caused it to freeze. 

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

At this point my guess would be that the board just doesn't like 8Gb modules for whatever reason, I'm gonna recommend either two kits of the Corsair Vengeance low-profile 2x4Gb that's on the QVL, or two kits of the Kingston Red 2x4Gb that we've tested on that board.

I've honestly never seen such issues with RAM before and I've done several builds with the 990FX-UD3 with no issues. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Before you order any new Ram can you post a Speccy url for us please, details here

8GB modules do seem to be more problematic than the 4GB sticks, I cringe when I see people having computer issues and they only have a single 8GB stick of Ram as you know straight away that if the issue/s are ram related the person is going to be circa £125/$210 out of pocket after the initial loss and replacement costs.