Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

autoruns trapped the unwary on XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Dell XP Install CDs do not restore to factory as then do not include any Dell software, just the XP Operating System. Great for doing a Clean Install, including format the boot drive during install.

Once done you will need to install SP1A or SP2 then SP3, 150+ Windows Updates and then restore your data and install programs. It's a lengthy process but once you finish you should have a solid, old and no longer updated, operating system.

If you are moving to a larger SSD, might be a good time to look at upgrading to Windows 7 or 8 if the computer is capable of it.

Dell XP Install CDs do not restore to factory as then do not include any Dell software, just the XP Operating System. Great for doing a Clean Install, including format the boot drive during install.

Once done you will need to install SP1A or SP2 then SP3, 150+ Windows Updates and then restore your data and install programs. It's a lengthy process but once you finish you should have a solid, old and no longer updated, operating system.

If you are moving to a larger SSD, might be a good time to look at upgrading to Windows 7 or 8 if the computer is capable of it.

The Dell CD reinstalls Windows XP_SP3.  Since i am unwilling to have to reinstall all my software again with a clean install, I need to find a way to recover the deleted driver files from C:\Windows\system32\drivers. I went to sysinternals.com and saw that there are 9 .sys files that are missing. So maybe I could install XP on a clean hard disk and copy those missing files and put them back on the damaged system? I also have the recent erunt.exe registry back up to restore the registry. Do you think this would work out well?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Install is not required, see here:  How to expand Windows XP files from the installation disk

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Install is not required, see here:  How to expand Windows XP files from the installation disk

I did the expand operation but it proved to be a dead end. Could not find any of the files that were supposed to be missing. Then decided to try system restore again. This time it worked.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Are you all set then? Is so, that is good news.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Not exactly restored perfectly. I have been running Ubuntu on a vmplayer virtual machine. But now when I open Ubuntu, it seems there is a misalignment between the two interfaces. Ubuntu is situated about an inch higher than it should be; and the virtual machine has covered up the icons on the menu bar on it. What should I do about this?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I'd try deleting and creating a new Ubuntu virtual machine.

Does vmplayer mean Vmware or Oracle VirtualBox?

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I'd try deleting and creating a new Ubuntu virtual machine.

Does vmplayer mean Vmware or Oracle VirtualBox?

The last two times I logged in to Ubuntu it was working correctly. I have no idea why it misaligned those other times. It was cutting off the time clock icon and sound icon. I am using vmware 6.02.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What about changing the resolution in the Ubuntu client?

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I tried that first. Afterwich, I reinstalled vmware-left Ubuntu undisturbed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Delete Ubuntu and create a new VM, see if that resolves it.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I erased the vm and installed a fresh one. Deleting Ubuntu would have erased all the updates and everything. Unacceptable.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Did the erase and install fix the problem? If not, acceptable or not, deleting Ubuntu and starting over again is probably the way you are going to fix this.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
The problem disappeared after reinstall of vmwareplayer. Ubunty I left untouched.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

So all is now well? If so, that's good to hear.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
It appears it's all systems go. Only hitch I face now is that my download speeds are super slow. Am considering IDM software.

Edited by khazarian, 02 August 2014 - 07:44 PM.