Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hi I followed a link here and got myself in trouble

• Please log in to reply

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

I also use Macrium to both create images and also to create a clone to a spare hard drive that can be fitted should the original die.

I did write a full tutorial regarding creating a clone with Macrium which is on another help forums magazine. (I am on staff there but don't know if posting links to it is allowed).

However if you know the full ins and outs of Macrium donetao, I will leave you to carry on if she wishes to go down that more reliable way of backups.

Hello Nev! We are all family here. There are no big EGO's. If you want to help the OP with Macrium, I will watch and see if I can learn any new tricks.

I would never own a computer with out Macrium Reflect. I have been on your forum and I know who you are,

I would like to welcome you to GTG. This is a great forum and we have some great and very smart people here.

I hope you will be a regular here! :welcome:

Advertisements

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

wow im on my 6th disc.. and last disc i have... i have a flash drive.. 8gb.. i sure hope it will all fit  :upset:

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

actually... it wont be im sure.. the green line.. is only 1/4 the way thru!.. would doing it this macrium way.. be less discs? and can i erase the ones i just used lol.. or.. should i just wait til i can get an external hard drive

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

i had to cancel back up.. i had nothing else to use to copy lol..

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

wow im on my 6th disc.. and last disc i have... i have a flash drive.. 8gb.. i sure hope it will all fit  :upset:

Hello ! :D  Lots of questions! No the image will not fit on a 8GB flash.

If you want to do this the right way, buy at least a 1TB external drive. You can use the drive to store other things beside the images, so the space is not wasted.

I have asked Nev to help you with Macrium Reflect when you are ready. He volunteered! I know Nev from another forum. He knows his stuff, so you will be in excellent hands.

donetao!

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

yes im sorry about the questions lol.. this really really is .. new to me..  so.. i am going to buy a external hard drive.. will i have to do that before nev can help me? if so.. ill message once ive gotten a external hard drive)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

yes im sorry about the questions lol.. this really really is .. new to me..  so.. i am going to buy a external hard drive.. will i have to do that before nev can help me? if so.. ill message once ive gotten a external hard drive)

You are doing just fine! It's new to all of us the first time. Yes you will need a external hard drive.

I'm sure Nev will be able to guide you through this process. When you are finished, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you have taken every step needed to recovery from almost any disaster. Then you can use your knowledge to help others. :spoton:

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

heck ya i will.. and it feels pretty good to learn how to do all this:) just call me grasshopper :prop:

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

wooot! i just ordered a .."Seagate Expansion 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBV3000100).. got a good deal.. it will be here on friday! so ill message and see if nev is available to help me at his convenience :)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

woot woot! How much??

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Great news about the external and by 'eck that is a big 'un, as they say round my county LOL.

First and while you wait you need to download and install Macrium Reflect, unfortunately it isn't available as a download from GTG, so next best and safest is from this link,

http://filehippo.com...macrium_reflect

I don't think there will be any unwanted bundled rubbish from Filehippo, however with all downloads of free programs it is always wise to read each box that pops up and remove ticks where something else is also offered.

Also if presented with a choice of automatic download or advanced, always go for the advanced mode as that is where you will find the junk to untick.

Install it once you have downloaded it, taking note of the above while it installs, and then by all means have a look at the help files while you wait for the external hard drive.

Unfortunately I may be busy and not able to get back here over the next few days, so if donetao is available he knows enough to help with using Macrium.

Nev.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hey grasshopper. While your waiting for your HD and Nev! I'm sure Nev is going to use Macrium Reflect! They have a great program, but the internet has gone $$$ crazy and you have to be careful of down load managers. Macrium has joined the down load managers group, I'm afraid. Down load managers will try to install PUP's on your machine. These are almost always unwanted programs.(Spyware,ect)

Here's a link to Macrium that doesn't use these. Down load it and start getting familiar with it. That will make Nev's job a little easier.

Filehippo is one on the few that is not using down load managers; if any one else is following grasshoppers topic, good thing to know :yeah:

http://filehippo.com...macrium_reflect

Now that's funny! Nev has already beat me to the Macrium down load, and he used fliehippo!

Nice work Nev. Down load managers are bad news!

Edited by donetao, 07 August 2014 - 11:52 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Unfortunately I may be busy and not able to get back here over the next few days, so if donetao is available he knows enough to help with using Macrium.

I'll give it my best shot, but hurry back!

Don't you try to get out of this Nev. You volunteered to help grasshopper.

Give Ken my best regards(not) :laughing: 

Edited by donetao, 07 August 2014 - 11:59 AM.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

20140811_100315_resized.jpg i got it for 135 including tax and delivery... which was only 20 or 30 more than the 1 and 2 tb! so thats a deal!! lollll... grasshopper haha... well im downloading it now... ive been away a couple days..  something weird just happened to my computer to when i started up... everything was fine at first... then a screen came. ill attach a picture... i followed instructions.. saying if it was first time.. to restart... and so far no issues... gosh i hope nothing happens before i can back up my system... eeeeekkkk

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

btw.. it wont be here til friday.. so not being available is... OK I SUPPOSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... lol hehe jk