Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hi I followed a link here and got myself in trouble

• Please log in to reply

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

HI, OK about Friday, I am keeping an eye on this thread.

That stop error is a possible RAM memory or even a driver fault, if it occurs again let us know and we can run a memory test to check out the RAM.

I will give follow up instructions regarding the Macrium Reflect once you let me know you have it installed correctly and also you have the external hard drive.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 11 August 2014 - 11:08 AM.

Advertisements

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

ok... i ran a memory diagnostic check before i read this... and there was no problems detected.... macrium reflect is installed... so ill let u know when the external arrives :)

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

HI, OK.

One thing we can do while we are waiting is to use Macrium to burn the rescue disk.

There are two things of importance that for some reason they seem to skimp on in Macriums own instructions, and these are to burn or make that disk, and secondly that once the disk is burned it is only of use for the particular version of Macrium you have installed.

They do release new versions from time to time so if you update at some time in the future, then you make a new image, the old disk is no use for that newer versions image. You must burn a new disk for each new version. Or do as I do, don't update.

The rescue disk is important as it is needed to be able to reinstall the image if you have to replace your hard drive.

Here is how to burn the rescue disk,

Insert a DVD-R or DVD+R disk into the drawer, do not use a DVD- or +RW as rewritable disks may be accidentally erased, plus they are never really reliable for data, use a write once only disk.

First open Macrium Reflect, you should then see this window,

Macriumdiskburn1_zps05d51bb0.jpg

As shown by the arrow, click on the disk icon.

A new small window will open where you are given the choice of either a full Windows PE disk, or the Linux basic disk.

The Linux disk doesn't have full resources and can hit snags with some types or makes of external hard drive, though it is only a small download. However I recommend using the Windows PE disk option as it is a better disk to work with, it is a very large file so takes quite some time to download and then burn, however the instructions as to what to do for each stage are easy enough to follow.

Any problems please let us know and I can advise as required.

Once the disk has been burned, Label it with "Macrium Reflect Rescue disk" along with the date, put it somewhere safe where you know where it is. It is only required if and when you need to install the backup image after it has been made onto your external hard drive. Once the image has been made, best perhaps to store both the disk and the hard drive together ready for when or if it is needed.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 12 August 2014 - 06:38 AM.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

good morning!. i got an email saying i could get my external hard drive today!!.. so im excited.. i did make a repair disc using windows 7... but if the one thru macrium is better i will do that asap... but i have to get more disc... i used up all mine trying to do system image... i was wondering if i could erase them.. but they dont say rw on it.. so i guess i cant... (yes im that much of a noob).. so today when i run out ill grab discs and follow those instructions.. unless u say the repair disc i already made is adequate:)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hey Nev!

Just a small reply.I have a Bart PE, A Windows PE and several Linux disc. I always up date Macrium when it says there is one available.

I have never made new recovery discs and they all work. I think ;but not 100% sure; Macrium will tell you if you need to make a new disc

A good way to test the recovery media is to with boot it. Follow the wizard right up until you see finish and then cancel and remove the disk.

You will need this recovery media any time you restore a image, even if your restoring the image to the original drive.

Good luck you two.

Your doing a great job Nev. Will be following this thread to see if I can learn some thing new!

doneato :spoton:

Here's some good stuff from Leo!

http://askleo.com/do...ftware-updates/

Edited by donetao, 12 August 2014 - 08:31 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hey Nev!

What do you think about you two starting a new thread and title it "How do I use Macrium Reflect"

It might get more attention and members might follow it and learn how to create a back up image of their OS.

A back up image of your OS sure can make your computer life a lot easier. :yes:

I'll shut up now! :wave:

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I know from personal experience that a disk made with a previous version of Macrium will not work with an image created by a later version. It got as far as completely reformatting the target hard drive ready to put the image back on to it, then said that the image made with the newer version was corrupt. (It wasn't, the older disk confused it)

I was lucky in the fact I had another computer to download the same latest version, then make the disk with it. The disk then did work OK.

They may well have changed things since then, but considering there may not be a way out that I had available, I am not going to risk it. Keep the disk and version together, you can't go wrong then.

I will also advise that the Windows PE, or the Linux disk created with Macrium, is possibly the only disk that will work correctly with the Image, a normal Windows 7 rescue disk is an entirely different thing and is designed to work with Windows own recovery system. Which if the hard drive does fail, the Windows one, being still on that hard drive, will be of little use.

I always recommend the Windows PE for Macrium, it may take longer to download and burn it, however I also found that for some strange reason the Linux disk could not find my Buffalo external hard drive in order to extract the image from it. They do warn that the linux disk might not work with certain hardware and it seems in my case to be quite true.

Next thing is that I am going to completely rewrite the tutorial myself and another person first wrote, as it is a couple of years old and Macrium have updated the program a few times since then which has introduced some changes to the process. I will be doing that tomorrow my UK time.

So if any problem in creating the rescue disk canadianchicklet, leave it alone till I write the full tutorial, as I will cover all the steps involved in some detail.

Just to add a quick edit, once the tutorial is complete, I will post it complete in the Geeks to Go How-to and tutorials section.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 12 August 2014 - 12:57 PM.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

hello! my seagate external hard drive has arrived!1 ive never used one.. but i plugged it in.. and its ready to go!.. i want to save all my pictures and videos on it to.. but ill do that later....  and to be honest... im pretty sick this week... may need surgery : so i haven gone out to get a blank disc... however... there is a store very close... and if i need one to move forward... i will go get one now... as i really want to do this the right way... and i am grateful for the help !

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello! Nev!

Your talking about keeping the image CD and the Macrium Reflect Recovery CD together!

grasshopper is using a external hard drive to store her Back up images on.

I still using the first Linux recovery disc I made. I do all the up dates from Macrium

I just booted with that Linux CD and it worked just fine. I agree that the Windows PE is the better choice.

I  had Macrium create a corrupted image one time in 10 years. That's  why I always verify the image when I get done.

The Linux CD may not work on all external drives, but it will work on seagate.

Macrium will not restore a corrupted image and will abort the operation.

I would burn both Linux and Windows PE and then test them to see if you can boot with them.

The important thing is to get the image on the external drive

Good luck guys!(And Gals)

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

hey i ran and got a disc.. ill try and make that cd nev gave instructions on.. until he is here to help with the rest

Advertisements

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

ok i made a macrium reflect rescue disk :)

Edited by canadianchicklet, 12 August 2014 - 03:07 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Great stuff so far, I am going to start the tutorial a little later today, it's nearly 1.00PM in the afternoon here and hopefully will have it done in an hour or two.

I am deliberately keeping away from advising on most things you mention donetao, lets keep this as simple as possible and not get bogged down with Linux disks and messing about trying them, she needs a safe backup and one that can be relied on. Please don't make this a conversation between me and you, we are here to help Canadianchicklet, and maybe any other member who sees it.

You can of course copy pictures, music, video, and any other stuff directly to the external hard drive if you wish to as a separate back up.

However the Macrium reflect will be a complete backup on its own, this includes everything on your computer, all documents, music, pictures etc, plus the Windows operating system as well.

Nev.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hey Nev!

Just trying to help! Macrium Reflect already has all the tutorials you will ever need to use their product.

I won't be replying any more here on this topic!

Here's all the information you will ever need grasshopper.

donetao! :yes:

Good luck grasshopper. You can do it and you will feel much more secure about your computer!

You can put any thing you want on your new seagate drive. Macrium will find your images when you need them.

I've been there and done it! Here's screen shot of my seagate. You will see 10+ images that I can use to restore my PC back just like the day I created the image. Unlike using disc's to create images, you can delete old back ups on your seagate if you want to.

http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture48.JPG

Edited by donetao, 13 August 2014 - 08:42 AM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Here's my tutorial!

I made it in 3 minutes with the PSR feature in W7. A tool that few Geeks even know exists! :laughing:

I clicked cancel. You would click OK to create the image!

Attached Files

Edited by donetao, 13 August 2014 - 09:08 AM.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

ok... sorry i was very busy last couple of days...but omg... my computer is in perfect order... everything is put back how it was... and problems i was having before is now fixed... .. i just wanted to thank you and aura.... and nev.. and everyone on this dang site for helping me!! you guys are all top notch in my books... hugs!!