Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

many file segments are unreadable (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

ok, another thought maybe wort rambling about ;

if I can get this thing semi stable again, (running dskchk again, seems to stabalize somewhat after doing this) 

what do you think about upgrading my carbonite to a image plan and see if it can grab an image for me, I'm definitely gonna want to be doing this forward anyway, can't believe I did'nt have this setup!

sorry, I know....

ok I guess I'll try  to slow it down.

Do you think with this so unstable, even if sucessful getting a clone, that the clone would be healthy enough to use?

or should I just move forward to fresh installation of software on new drive, and then just tough it out getting drivers etc to get it back running, then I can get my backup into it?

Hello!

I have never tried to clone a HD  with that many bad sectors. I can't guarantee you will get a successful clone. I will say this, if Macrium can't clone the drive, then you will have to start from scratch. You asked if it would be worth a try. I still think it is. You will have to get the ribbon cable that allows you to connect both drives.

Are we clear about that? Also if your crashing that much, IMHO your drive is almost toast.

I will go on the internet and find the ribbon cable you will need and attach screen shot. You could also use a docking station. The ribbon cable is the cheapest. 

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Here's the ribbon cable you would need!http://www.newegg.co...0140803154836:s

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

This is the kinda I use to have on my older computers, the one I have now is is a much thinner ribbon, like 1/4" wide, but I get the idea, same style  as I have now, but with 2 hard drive ends?

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I'm gonna go run and try to find one locally, maybe radio shack or best buy.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

This is the kinda I use to have on my older computers, the one I have now is is a much thinner ribbon, like 1/4" wide, but I get the idea, same style  as I have now, but with 2 hard drive ends?

Yes Sir!! Also If we ever get things going our way, you won't need carbonite. You can back up your own drive :yes:

Edited by donetao, 03 August 2014 - 10:02 AM.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok, thx, I'll be back. (hopefully with the cable)

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

ok, thx, I'll be back. (hopefully with the cable)

Take the old one with you, so they can see what you need.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Here's the reason I don't advise on these kind a problems. To many variables and I'm :laughing: not smart enough to ask the right questions.

https://www.google.c...iw=1120&bih=487

I haven't had any experience with SATA drives. I have only dealt with the IDE drives on a old Dell tower. I have a Toshiba lap top now.

If I wanted to clone my drive I would need docking cables or a docking station!

This is what I have. If you can not find the ribbon cable, you could use this.

That is if your not tired of all my BS.https://www.google.c...4F7FVXU;300;300

Edited by donetao, 03 August 2014 - 11:33 AM.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
Ok I'm here at a computer store, they git everything!
But apparently not the cable with 2 data ends, I'm told to connect the 2nd drive to an unused data port on mother board.
Give you a shout when back at pc

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Ok I'm here at a computer store, they git everything!
But apparently not the cable with 2 data ends, I'm told to connect the 2nd drive to an unused data port on mother board.
Give you a shout when back at pc

Hello! OK!

Things are moving fast for this tired old mind. They should know. I have asked my good friend to join us on this topic.

He's a busy guy, but hopefully he will join us.

I was going to suggest a docking cable like I showed you, but no way to communicate when your in route to stores :no:

Advertisements

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok, I think this hard drive is done, won't stay on at all now, keeps crashing.

Can you help me to install a fresh OS into the new drive?

I downloaded X17-24209 on another computer, its a "disc image file" when I right click it I have an option to burn to disc, or is it possible to put on a usb key?

I'm gonna attempt to burn to disk while I await your responce.

thx for your help 

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

I downloaded X17-24209 on another computer, its a "disc image file" when I right click it I have an option to burn to disc, or is it possible to put on a usb key?

thx for your help 

Hello!

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what your doing. If you do not have the installation disk, you can get a ISO file from digital rivers and restore W7 to your PC. You will need the 25 digit key.

I have asked a friend here on the forum to help. I hoping he will join.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok I had downloaded "official Windows 7 .iso by Microsoft on the web" and have burned it to a disk,

so I'm guessing at this point swap new drive into pc, and let it try to run the iso file image from cd?

thx for your help 

Hello!

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what your doing. If you do not have the installation disk, you can get a ISO file from digital rivers and restore W7 to your PC. You will need the 25 digit key.

I have asked a friend here on the forum to help. I hoping he will join.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
ok I had downloaded "official Windows 7 .iso by Microsoft on the web" and have burned it to a disk,
so I'm guessing at this point swap new drive into pc, and let it try to run the iso file image from cd?

Ok! give it a shot.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok, its actually doing it, (installing windows on new drive)

I've had experience before with reloading drivers from dells website, so I guess that's gonna be my ongoing job till I get all my devices up & running.

I appreciate all the effort Would have been sweet if I could've cloned my drive, but that ship sunk!! lol!

thx for all the time & effort spent!