Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

many file segments are unreadable (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello folks,

Having read through the complete topic I feel that the best course of action is for a fresh installation on the new HDD, as identified by Gary already you have no idea of what you will be transferring across from the old to the new HDD (have just read your update and see that is what has been done).

The HDDs are the SATA type and so there is no Master and Slave configuration, the boot sequence and what SATA ports the HDDs are connected to determines which is the primary and which is the secondary drive, SATA port 3  is often not capable of being used for booting from so hook the flaky drive up to that and see if you are able to drag your data to the new HDD which should be connected to SATA port 0, hope this helps and sorry for the late arrival.

Let us know if you have any trouble accessing the data on the dodgy drive. 

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

ok, its actually doing it, (installing windows on new drive)

I've had experience before with reloading drivers from dells website, so I guess that's gonna be my ongoing job till I get all my devices up & running.

I appreciate all the effort Would have been sweet if I could've cloned my drive, but that ship sunk!! lol!

thx for all the time & effort spent!

Yes! A clone would have been sweet! I'm sure you will get all the missing drivers from Dell. They are a good outfit.

Let me know how it goes!

You are very welcome. It was quite a experience for me. I have lots of time. I also learned some things and questions I need to ask next time I have a experience like this.

doneato!

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Thank You Mr. Phil

You are appreciated by this old man!

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Thanks Phillpower2, Yeah this is totally new to me and I appreciate your imput as well.

I was thinking about doing that, hooking up org drive as secondary to see what is recoverable. Question, as it's not going to be used as a bootable device, it should'nt crash right, maybe just errors when I try to access data that may be corrupted?

In my mind logically (may be wrong) if drive is damaged, would it make any sense to try to clone it or is it just gonna create a further mess?

and individual drivers to basic devices must be installed not just copied over?

thx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

It would be advisable to confirm that the computer is stable with the new HDD and OS, the crashes may have been caused by something else with a corrupt/damaged OS being a software possibility and a flaky PSU being just one item of hardware that could affect the behaviour of the HDD, hopefully all will be well though.

I strongly suggest that you download any Dell drivers that you will need, burn them to disk or save them to a USB thumb drive, once Windows has installed successfully install the Dell drivers following the order that you will find here this needs to be done correctly or you will have problems.

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok as apparently I don't have drivers to even connect this pc to the internet, I must download from another computer

now they have me confused with the order,

1st they say this, 

Driver or application name Category What it does 1. Dell System Software System Utilities Provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. 2. Chipset driver Chipset Helps Windows control system board components and controllers, such as USB ports and other internal components. 3. PCMCIA and/or Smartcard drivers Security Enables PCMCIA and Smartcard slot capability. 4. Intel Matrix Storage Manager Serial ATA The Intel storage driver is only applicable to Intel chipset computers. 5. Audio driver Audio Enables and enhances the audio controller. 6. Video driver Video Enhances video performance.

and theres about 6 more, then I go here to the driver list (by my service tag) and it's different 

Dell Digital Delivery Application View details
DellDigitalDelivery.2.7.1000.0_setup_ZPE.exe | Hard-Drive (2 MB)
Application|
Release date 11/22/2013
|Last Updated 3/21/2014
|Recommended

Version 2.7

Download
 Added to download list 
Go to My Downloads List2

Dell XPS 8500 / Vostro 470 System BIOS View details
A12.EXE | Windows/DOS (8 MB)
BIOS|
Release date 10/29/2013
|Last Updated 10/31/2013
|Recommended

Version A12 |  Other versions available

This file will automatically self-install after downloading.Restart required
 Download
 Added to download list 
Go to My Downloads List2

Intel Chipset Driver View details
Chipset_Driver_H95F7_WN_9.3.0.1021_A00.EXE | Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (9 MB)
Chipset|
Release date 3/14/2013
|Last Updated 6/13/2014
|Recommended

Version 9.3.0.1021,A00 |  Other versions available

This file will automatically self-install after downloading.Restart required
 Download
 Added to download list 
Go to My Downloads List2

and theres more

Can I assume that these are the drivers that need to be installed in the order listed?

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok, all seems to be going well, I followed thier list long enough to get my connections set up and was able to connect to thier site to let them scan my pc and download & install what's still needed driver wise, so far so good

A plus to all this is my squeaky clean and fast uncluttered (so far ) drive, super speedy!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Keep us posted on your progress  :thumbsup:

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

going well except for this last step, there's an analyze button that I assume checks drivers and recommends missing or out dated drivers, well these last 3 keep popping up and the 1st one says

" this computor does not meet the mininum requierments for installing this software"

but everything else seems solid! I may need to get dell on the phone to help me figure out this unless anyone here has a clue?

thx!

Intel Integrated GFX Driver View full driver details
Video_Intel_W74_A00_Setup-NMR70_ZPE.exe | VI (151MB)

Intel AMT HECI Driver View full driver details
ME_Intel_W74_A00_Setup-DWW4Y_ZPE.exe | CS (39MB)

Intel Panther PointH77 View full driver details
Chipset_Intel_W74_A00_Setup-VW3N8_ZPE.exe | C

Keep us posted on your progress  :thumbsup:

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

it's the 1st one of the 3, probably does'nt let the last 2 install because it needs the 1st one?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Can you copy/paste  the link to the download page for us please.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

ok, got it. 

http://www.dell.com/...7ZTTSW1/drivers

XPS 8500

Service Tag: 7ZTTSW1 Express Service Code: 17403891841

Add to My Products List

View a different product

Edited by njlock, 03 August 2014 - 03:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Intel Integrated GFX Driver View full driver details
Video_Intel_W74_A00_Setup-NMR70_ZPE.exe | VI (151MB)
Are you using an add on video card or the MBs video port.

Intel AMT HECI Driver View full driver details
ME_Intel_W74_A00_Setup-DWW4Y_ZPE.exe | CS (39MB)
Have you checked  the Device manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

Intel Panther PointH77 View full driver details
Chipset_Intel_W74_A00_Setup-VW3N8_ZPE.exe | C

Possibly not needed as you have changed the HDD.

Going offline shortly as it is getting late here and I have an early start in the morning, Gary will take good care of you  :thumbsup:

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Going offline shortly as it is getting late here and I have an early start in the morning, Gary will take good care of you  xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.7aXFW0A4z_.pn

Hello my friend! That's a lot of pressure, but I'll do my best until you return tomorrow.

Have a good one Mr. Phill

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

I am quite certain that you will be fine Gary and thank you  :thumbsup: