Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Essexboy [BSoD followed by boot hanging on aswrvrt.sys] [Solved]

aswrvrt.sys wont boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

So I started by emptying my Temp files (is there an easy way to do that or do you have to go to the folder and manually delete everything?) and I tried to defragment my disks, but it said defrag is already scheduled for once a week, which I was unaware of. Apparently, it's been doing that all along because it says all of my disks (suddenly there were four!) are 0% fragmented (I defragmented C: anyway just in case).

I used Delfix to clean everything up, and disabled Java and installed Malwarebytes. Will that conflict with my current antivirus (Avast)? Should I uninstall Avast and use only Malwarebytes or is it okay (or even necessary) to keep them both?

Everything seems fine, except the computer froze up again today, and I wasn't even using it. I just left it for a couple of minutes to go check on something in the kitchen and when I came back it was just frozen, like the other time. I had to hard shutdown again since nothing seemed to work. Both times, I had Chrome open and there were about 10 tabs open at the same time, so I'm not sure if that could be it. It's not a particularly problematic thing if it only happens once in a while, but it could be a pain in the butt if it keeps going like this.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Avast and Malwarebytes work fine together and they both cover different areas, so no problem there

Chrome can suck up the system resources if you have a lot of tabs open

Apart from that is it behaving itself ?

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I'll try to keep fewer tabs open then :) Yes, it seems to be very well behaved, and I haven't seen any issues in the past few days other than the freezing up unexpectedly.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

For temp file cleaning you can use TFC (I use this)

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop

• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Are you happy for me to close or shall I keep it open for a while ?

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I used TFC and it cleaned up a lot of space, and no reboot necessary :)

I'm still having that freeze problem, though, even with only 3 tabs open in Chrome. I left my computer turned on overnight and today when I woke up it was frozen again. I can move the mouse pointer, but it's stuck on the hourglass, like it's horribly busy, and even if I try opening up Task Manager, nothing happens. However, I feel like I don't have enough information about what causes it, and trying to fix that might be somewhat of a wild goose chase. I know it didn't use to happen before all this PC-near-death-experience stuff, so if you have any ideas I could try, I'd be very grateful. But if you think there's no point, I'd be okay with that, too.

Either way, I just wanted to thank you for you time and patience, and say that you guys here are real life savers. The fact that you choose to donate your time to help total strangers says a lot about what kind of person you are, and you've been so nice and attentive throughout this whole process. So, thank you very much :)

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

You know what? I think the universe might be mocking me. Not two minutes after I posted this last post, the computer froze up again, and I had to hard shutdown. After that, I tried booting it back up and it got stuck on the Windows logo! I shut it down again, and tried Safe Mode, and guess what? It's stuck loading aswRvrt.sys. At least I got all my files out, I think. Does this mean I'm back to square one? :smashcomp:  

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Could you boot again from the OTLPE cd

From the desktop run the command prompt and type :

chkdsk c: /r

Now try a further bootIf it does boot then I would suspect that your hard drive is on its last legs

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I ran chkdsk on both of my hard drive's partitions this time. It found a few bad sectors, but other than that, nothing extraordinary happened. As soon as I booted into OTLPE (it took a couple of tries), all the drives were visible and accessible, there was none of the mess I had last time. I ran chkdsk anyway, and tried booting into normal Windows. On the first try, it just turned off on its own while trying to start Windows. It automatically restarted, but it's still stuck on the "starting windows" screen. :(

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you run a fresh FRST scan for me please from the Reatogo desktop

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I checked Addition.txt like last time but couldn't find it in the folder or the desktop afterwards...Let me know if you need me to run it again. Here's the log :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   20.89KB   333 downloads

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Nothing amiss that I can see. I will reset the registry to the last good and see if that reboots

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Attached File  fixlist.txt   29bytes   287 downloads
Run FRST as before and press fix
On completion try a normal boot

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I ran FRST with fixlist and it completed. The log is attached.

When I tried booting up, it powered on, then showed the "Starting Windows" and as soon as the logo appeared, it crashed and restarted (no BSoD or anything, just shut off like I unplugged it or something) and offered to repair the system. I chose "Start Windows Normally" and it's stuck there in the Starting Windows screen.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Does it blue screen if you try to boot in safe mode as well ?

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

It doesn't blue screen anymore, just gets stuck loading windows. When I try booting into safe mode, it gets stuck loading aswRvrt.sys. 

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I will disable Avast from starting now, although I do not believe it is the problem.

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Attached File  fixlist.txt   774bytes   289 downloads
Run FRST as before and press fix
On completion try a normal boot