Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Essexboy [BSoD followed by boot hanging on aswrvrt.sys] [Solved]

aswrvrt.sys wont boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

You were right, that wasn't the issue. I ran FRST with the fixlist, log is attached. Instead of being stuck on aswrvrt.sys (which was part of Avast, I'm guessing) it's now stuck on CLASSPNP.SYS when I try to boot into safe mode. The rest is still the same -- the first time I tried booting up after shutting down from Reatogo, it offered to repair computer or start normally, and when I chose 'start normally', it just crashed and shut off and restarted on its own, just to be stuck on the windows logo again.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Looks like we have a problem with the hardware, it may be the hardrive or the motherboard

We will try an offline dskchk again

From the reatogo desktop select command prompt and type in the following :

chkdsk c: /r

Let me know how that goes

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, I'm done running chkdsk on both of my hard drive's partitions (that I can see). It didn't really say anything new. It completes all the stages, and says there are 24kb in bad sectors in E (where windows is) and 512Kb in bad sectors in D (that's some kind of recovery or backup partition Samsung forced on me). That's exactly what it said last time, although it felt like it took longer this time around.

Unfortunatelly, it looks like it's getting worse somehow :( it took me all day to get Reatogo running, because it wouldn't read the CD and kept trying to boot into Windows even though the boot order is fine. It even got stuck while loading Reatogo a couple of times and other times it just shut off and tried to reboot into Windows (and obviously got stuck again). I tried making the USB stick version of the CD, but it didn't work, as usual. In a moment of desperation, I tried booting from a Ubuntu USB stick and everything worked fine, all disks looked fine and even the wireless connected. After that, I was able to run Reatogo from the CD after a couple of tries.

Any chance this isn't hardware related?

Edited by Julia.G, 17 August 2014 - 01:02 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes I believe it is hardware I am afraid, unfortunately I know very little about this area. So can give no meaningfull assistance.

What you can do is back up your data and try a re-install of windows

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for trying :) If nothing else, I learned a lot of cool stuff with this! Unfortunately, it's become fairly obvious today, even for a newbie like me, that there's something seriously wrong with the hardware, because it just refuses to boot altogether, and it just crashes and turns off even when trying to boot into Reatogo. It also got stuck several times when I tried a complete Windows reinstall, so there's really no more hope, I think. The only thing that still works seamlessly is booting into Ubuntu on a stick, which I'm sure is some kind of cosmic joke since I've always told all my friends I'd never have any use for Linux.

Anyway, I'll take it to get fixed this week and hope for the best. All the files are backed up, and I have you to thank for that :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ask them to check the hard drive first

Sorry we could not have a better result

Julia.G

Julia.G

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I will! Thanks for everything! :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.