Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't boot in normal mode; inconsistent drive space [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you enabled Logitech set point in the startup list ?

Advertisements

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I did, and it worked! (I used the one that said it was by Logitech, and pointed to a registry entry, since the other one said it was by 'unknown' and I found that a smidge bothersome.) I also managed to google every single hp-related startup and service item and find the ones needed for my volume controls and such. Sad drawback is, my system has lost that edge of being slightly faster that it was showing with the hp bloatware disabled. But since volume buttons are rather important, there's not much I can do there except hope there's no bloatware mess involved with the volume controls on whatever new system I get.

I may re-disable the HP Wireless Assitant, however. I noticed that with it enabled, I'm seeing more input lag with right click context menus (specifically, I right click the network icon and click 'connect to' immediately after boot) than I had without it. This is something that I always just kind of dealt with, but I did notice it wasn't as bad without the HP Wireless Assistant. I'm not even entirely sure what it does other than post a totally redundant "Wireless Networking: Off/On" pop-over by the system tray. There's a fancy blue-or-red light above my keyboard to tell me the exact same info without causing lag.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets clear my tools now to give you a bit of space and then re-assess the situation.  If the wireless works without the assistant then disable that  

After the tidy up let me know what niggles remain

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Click Start then Run.
On Windows7 or Vista you may use Start Search field if Run is not available.
In the box copy/paste the following command:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Note that there is a space between " ComboFix " and " /Uninstall " .

Then click OK (or press Enter ).
Wait for the uninstall process to complete.

Download and run Delfix

delfix.JPG

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article

I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

CryptoPrevent.JPG

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide Best security practices Keep safe :wave:

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

With the 'reset system settings' portion of delfix... Will that reset them to factory, or something else? Basically I just need to know if i should go back in and check system settings after running it, or if the intent is to return only the settings changed by the tools.

So far, I've got Combofix successfully uninstalled and am about to download the other tools. Is the screenshot for CryptoPrevent the recommended settings? It seems like a really useful tool, especially since I frequently use tumblr and I've heard of the ransomware viruses being distributed by coding on rogue blogs. :)

And I'll just switch off java in the browser, as I never intentionally use it anyway. It's only installed and unupdated because a very specific version is required for some of the android sdk functions I use with my tablet. I didn't realize leaving it enabled in browsers was a big security risk, whoops.

Edited by devilbear, 10 August 2014 - 12:57 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The system settings will return all system files and folders that are normally hidden back to that state, it also hides file extensions

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Ooh, alrighty. I always like to know what to expect when I'm not sure, is why I asked. :) So I'll take care of those things, and then I'll report back after a day to let you know how things are going.

I'm actually thinking of trying to play the Vampire game again, and seeing how that goes. But not before creating a restore point this time, just in case! That might be a good test of whether my system is functioning decently again or not.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ooops sorry, yes that is the latest version of cryptoprevent an additional setting would be to tick "Disable windows sidebar and gadgets"

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

After running delfix and removing Combofix, my Recycle Bin is now corrupted. I've tried the steps I found from Google to fix it, but I keep getting permissions errors. It was suggested to try the fix, as seen here in safe mode in just such an event. Would you suggest I do so, or do you have other advice for this issue?

Edited by devilbear, 10 August 2014 - 02:57 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Intriguing, never come across that before

The elevated command prompt should work from within windows :

RD /S /Q C:\$Recycle.bin

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Unfortunately, that didn't work.

mA673p3.png

I'm also noticing a weird glitch, such as how the 'Saved' folder appears here:

bP6HEZ1.png

And how some of the items on my desktop aren't actually showing in the relevant folder. And the two kindle update backups (both .bin files) not appearing on the desktop itself. (Large image, so putting it in as a link-- click here.) It almost seems like something's gone horribly wrong where .bin files are concerned...?

I also noticed that the little arrow to indicate it was a shortcut had turned into a miniature version of the 'unknown file type' indicator on top of Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines and ObjectDock in folder view before they totally just vanished.

My account's supposed to be an admin account, and I've never before had any permissions errors. Is there a chance one of the removal tools accidentally demoted my account or something of that sort? I did leave my restore points, as the issues I had purged them anyway, and I do have one from before I ran the cleanup tools... Do I need to use it?

Edited by devilbear, 10 August 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Yes restore back and I will see what I can find out about this type of error.  Although this is the first time I have seen it

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

The restore was successful in fixing my recycle bin. However, upon bootup after restore there was quite a bit of lag... and AVG has re-enabled itself on startup even though I hadn't yet gotten around to do so. The services related to AVG, however, remain disabled.

I also still have the two missing shortcuts and funky-looking folder style for 'Saved' when viewing my desktop through Windows Explorer and/or the context menu brought up through, for example, the 'upload a file' interface on imgur or tumblr.

ETA: Also, my touchpad keeps re-enabling itself even though the switch is a hardware button, every time I restart the system. Previously (as in, before any of these issues occurred / before I sought help on this forum), it remembered the status.

Edited by devilbear, 10 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I was able to fix the weird icon, but I'm still not sure why the desktop shortcuts to ObjectDock and VTM Bloodlines don't appear when viewing Me\Desktop in Windows Explorer.

For point of reference, I was able to fix the folder icon by right clicking the folder, going to Properties, Customize, and then Change Icon. What I saw was this:

AQl9R4S.jpg

I selected the folder icon and applied the change. That fixed it right up. I do recall that CHKDSK had to repair an .mp3 file which was stored in a subfolder of Desktop\Saved so maybe that and the associated corruption were the cause of the broken icon?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The touchpad is I believe related to the synaptics startup entry

Are the shortcuts for ObjectDock and VTM Bloodlines on the desktop when you are there ? Is it just in explorer that they do not show

Have you uninstalled AVG yet ?

devilbear

devilbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Strange. I thought I re-enabled the Synaptics entry, and at startup I see the little system tray icon for it. I'll have to double check the related services when I'm at my computer later. Although... now that I think about it, maybe the touchpad coming back on was related to the system restore. I don't remember whether it was on or off at the time I saved the restore point.

It's only in Explorer that the two shortcuts disappear. They show fine and fully function from the actual desktop. In fact, my system was able to handle a few hours of playing VTM Bloodlines last night, with no lag or network issues.

I haven't yet uninstalled AVG, as I'm thinking about letting it stay and trying to update the definitions, since the other options arent quite right for this machine. I did successfully update Windows Defender's definitions, as well.