Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which softwares shall I uninstall ? Which ones do I not need - Solved

slow start up slow boot up slow

• Please log in to reply

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hey, did any moderator edit my thread or something? I mean, my main post is of another post which was totally different than what Im currently asking and the new thread's main post is gone.

Would you please try to get it back as it should be? Just so the pictures I added are avaliable to people who'd like to help me out.

@Phillpower2

My anti-virus Avast already starts with Windows, but it doesnt do a root scan on start up ( I disabled that option to avoid slow start up )

About the space, as I already said, I have 249 GB free and 215 GB occupied of both C and D drives.

C drive - 32,2 GB, 67,8 GB used

D drive - 217 GB free, 148 used

Here's a screenshot of Disk Manager

Spoiler

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

As per my reply #13

NB: Just noticed that you are already receiving assistance regarding the same subject Vladimir123 so have merged the two threads to avoid any confusion or duplicated guidance.

Nothing has been deleted only the information from both threads put in the one place, it is not good practice to have two threads concerning the same question.

Disk Manager also looks fine.

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I see, my fault, I didnt read that part where you mentioned that you've merged the two threads, sorry.

Other than that, is there nothing else I can do to improve my PC's performance ? Is that all ?

Any other tips/ advices ?

Also, just curious, would re-formatting the PC improve my PC's performance even if I re-install/ back up the same applications I have right now ( though not all ) ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello Vladimir123,

Please see my canned text for tidying up the data on a HDD ( you only need to address any options that you have not already done  :thumbsup: )

My first suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Everything" tab

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Autoruns Tutorial

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/ the computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/  a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 15 and 20% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.

What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN

type MSCONFIG in the RUN box

then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your AV software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi

I couldnt attach auto runs' results since the file exceeds the limit, max single file size here is 2 MB and the file is about 2,8 MB.

I uploaded it to another website, download link down bellow

https://www.mediafir...5o11cyf68d54ecv

It's safe as well, no viruses, tested at virustotal.com

https://www.virustot...sis/1408784492/

I didnt download that software because I already have a similar one, CCleaner, I used it to delete browsers/ PC temporary files, so far 700 MB deleted.

Hopefully I didnt do any mistake here :)

Before defraging both of my C and D disks, I ran an analyse and it showed that the disk C was 2% fragmented whilst disk D was %0.

I defragmented both of the disks.

I also use the disk defragmentation scheduler from windows' option, it's set to defrag disks once a week, due to that I see no more use of the software you provided me and I uninstalled it, if needed I can install it back

About AV, I use Avast Free, I dont have any problems with it so far, it doesnt use a lot of resources and that's why I use it.

Other than that, I have disabled 2 more start up processes:

Nvidia GeForce Experience - a software that checks/ downloads graphics drivers, though for some reason again it starts up with windows

Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager - I dont really know what exactly this is about for, but I disabled it because I think I dont need it at start up, correct me if Im wrong please.

I'd also like to ask one more question, does fixing registry files play a role in PC's performance in general ? I have scanned for registry errors with CCleaner and it found about 160 errors, shall I fix them ? Almost all of them are from softwares that I uninstalled.

Edited by Vladimir123, 23 August 2014 - 03:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

hello Vladimir123,

Can you copy/paste the Autoruns log into your next reply please, Mediafire uses unsolicited popups  :(

TFC/CCleaner, defrag and Avast details acknowledged and fine  :thumbsup:

I'd also like to ask one more question, does fixing registry files play a role in PC's performance in general ? I have scanned for registry errors with CCleaner and it found about 160 errors, shall I fix them ? Almost all of them are from softwares that I uninstalled.

Anything to do with the registry should be left well alone for anyone other than advanced users as the potential to hose the OS is too high, once we have the Autoruns log we can advise you as to what can be safely removed.

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

How can I paste Autoruns log here ? Im not able to copy it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Are you actually saving the log Autoruns Tutorial

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Oh, I figured it out .. sorry, I used to save it to another format ( asn or something ) so that's why I wasnt able to copy it, my bad.

Anyway here it is

Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   91.11KB   261 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Autoruns is not too bad but there are things that you should disable such as Adobe, CCleaner, Daemon tools lite, Facebook, Rainmeter,Skype and WinRar to name just a couple, you may find it easier to select the Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries option, disable (not delete) anything that you do not wish to run automatically, if you are unsure of anything please ask first.

Advertisements

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

May I know what exactly do I need to disable ? Are they services, processes or what exactly please ?

I checked the non-Microsoft services list through msconfig and I can see just a few and they're all important ( avast, malwarebytes, Nvidia and Winstep - a part of the desktop customization tool " Nexus " )

Also, please tell me how to disable them, I searched around and I can only find " Delete ", I cant find any option to disable them.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Items that should be disabled in Autoruns include what I mentioned in my reply #25 Adobe, CCleaner, Daemon tools lite, Facebook, Rainmeter,Skype and WinRar, they are programs that you do not want to run automatically only when you need them as in manually starting them by double clicking on a desktop icon for example.

03_autoruns_disable_entries_0411.jpg

Autouns allows you to either delete or disable entries. Both will stop the selected application or extension from being loaded automatically but if you opt to delete the entry you should know that this is a permanent change. So how do you do either? Well if you just want to disable an option to stop it from automatically loading, you can do so by simply deselecting the option. Look at the picture above this text and see how some of the Autoruns have been disabled by clicking the checkbox next to the image name. 

Any entries that you decide to simply disable can be restored by simply running Autoruns and selecting the option again. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Vladimir123

Do you still require assistance with this or is the issue now resolved.

Vladimir123

Vladimir123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I must of forgotten to reply here, sorry ..

I dont need any further help.

Thank you for helping me

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Thanks for letting us know Vladimir123  :thumbsup: