Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update working intermittently, no updates since Sept 24, then

Windows 8 Windows update Cleaned by Pystryker

• Please log in to reply

Ozzette53

Ozzette53

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hello. I just had my malware removed in the other forum by Pystryker, so I am pretty sure this is an operating system problem. My computer seems to update intermittently. The last updates I received were from Sept 24. Then, all of a sudden last night it gave me the option to upgrade to 8.1. I saw no harm as the computer had not been working properly anyway. Well, now I cannot get it to update at all. It just sits on the "checking for updates" screen with the progress bar running for at least 30 minutes (at which time I gave up). I ran the troubleshooter and it seemed to fix 3 issues. I tried to update again for 30 minutes with the same results as before the troubleshooter. I was ready to give up and recover the machine and start fresh. Recover says my recovery has missing or corrupted files. I do not have a problem with recovering and starting over. I can add windows features when I go to the history before the update. After the 8.1 update I cannot add features without a product key. There also seems to be some problems with stability, especially in IE. These problems were there before the update to 8.1. I am hoping someone can at least tell me where to start. This computer was returned to WalMart when it was first bought because it acted so crazy. It was returned in this condition, although I did add the classic shell after that. I am so frustrated. I would so appreciate some help with this matter. Thank you.

PS: I just read that you are supposed to have to buy Windows 8.1. If that is true, now I am really scared, because this just popped up on a reboot.

Edited by Ozzette53, 10 October 2014 - 03:21 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Ozzette53,

I feel you should of not attempted the upgrade to 8.1 as of yet to think would solve any issues. No 8.1 upgrade is free to Windows 8 users.

I want you to try this first if you can :

Go to the start screen and select all apps, look for command prompt in Windows system, should be near end of all apps, right click it and select "Run As Administrator"

First type this in, you can copy and paste it into your command prompt because it needs to be correct to work            

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After that finishes, should take around 5-10 min., in same open command prompt type exactly as shown, again can copy and paste it from here

sfc /scannow

After that finishes you can close the command prompt and try Windows update.

Windows 8 and 8.1 has refresh which you can also try and you will not loose whatever extras are installed plus documents,pictures, videos and settings.

Ozzette53

Ozzette53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

OK. First of all I want to get honest. When the windows 8.1 popped I got excited. I didn't realize it was an upgrade, I thought it was an update (I know, I shouldn't have, but I just didn't think anything but... this is a good thing, update must be working). I'm sorry. I thought that Windows Update was working after all the cleanup from the Malware. I ran the things you asked from the command prompt. The first one said it fixed some things, the other said nothing. I could not run refresh as it also says there are missing or corrupt files. I ran Windows update, it ran until the screen dimmed. When I brought the screen back up, Windows update crashed. Just disappeared. Hoping there might be something else I can try. Any suggestions?  I want to thank you for taking the time to reply.

PS: I had also run some troubleshooters before 8.1 came up, including the Windows update troubleshooter, which said it had fixed some things. I just saw something about Administrator issues in troubleshooting, but I don't want to do anything else until you tell me.

Edited by Ozzette53, 11 October 2014 - 01:19 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sorry it is an update, not an upgrade, want to correct myself too. Not that it was a bad idea to update to 8.1, as said had a problem already could have waited, that's all. Your welcome.Since refresh you are saying is not working leave us with a few options. Try a reset in Windows 8.1 now, but you will loose what you put on after Windows 8 (software,documents, any other files, settings and the update 8.1 ). Did this come with a Windows 8 Disc. ?

Wonder to maybe try a chkdsk first then a DISM. You also said a system file checker showed " No Integrity Violations " , but DISM showed it repaired some stuff ?

But there is missing file and or corrupt files. This all happened after the cleaning of an infection. System File Checker then should have showed something, the sfc /scannow

You can try a chkdsk then run the Dism, as showed you in my last post go to the command prompt an  " Run as Administrator "  type  chkdsk c: /f /r

You will have to reboot to perform it, will tell you. This will take some time, so do it when you are not using PC for awhile, may take hours.

After run the DISM again at command prompt under Run as Adminstrator       dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This does not work, we will then need to do a Windows 8 reset , in Recovery. Thinking when you bought it with Win8 there was most likely no OS disc.

http://windows.micro...efresh-reset-pc

Edited by jds63, 11 October 2014 - 02:13 PM.

Ozzette53

Ozzette53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Well, it is updating. I just checked this morning and it updated on 10/10 so we are good there. The only problem I am having now is there is a black line that runs through the screen in IE. I think I am done with trying to fix this OS because I CANNOT recover. It says missing or corrupt files. It is insured until April, so if anything major happens again, I think I will be calling the insurance company. ;). If you have any ideas on the IE problem, I would appreciate it. Other than that, as long as it is working (which I know HAS to work for certain things) I will try to get used to Firefox. Thanks again and again!

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sound odd never heard of a line just from a browser page. Sure it's not also on monitor on the desktop to ? Maybe needs graphics card update for driver software. Does this happen when you play videos in IE ? Yes i would at least try another browser and if with just videos on IE it could be flash player problem. Try updating the flash player first.

As far as corrupt files go, if you can run chkdsk as instructed in other post, then the DISM and SFC again. This all fails, then only choice i may see is to recover the OS. Saying you can't even do a refresh without errors ?

Also try reset, go to Change PC Settings in Charms bar, select Update and Recovery use Advanced options.

Do you have a OS disc. think i may of asked this or know of a recovery partition or system image ? Insured means this is a company PC or i am not sure ?

Edited by jds63, 14 October 2014 - 01:45 PM.

Ozzette53

Ozzette53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi. I just wanted to let you know I am running the chkdisk now. I got a little burnout after all the malware removal, but I understand where you are coming from.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi. I just wanted to let you know I am running the chkdisk now. I got a little burnout after all the malware removal, but I understand where you are coming from.

o.k. Run chkdsk after run the DISM then a SFC as instructed in post # 2 and 4.

After that if you can post results for chkdsk using this

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type powershell.exe, and press Enter.

2. In PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

3. You will now have a CHKDSKResults.txt file created on your desktop that is the log file of your chkdsk scan results from Event Viewer.

Edited by jds63, 20 October 2014 - 01:55 PM.

Ozzette53

Ozzette53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

OK. As you suggested in your first post, I tried to run a chkdsk. It stalled at 10% on the C: Drive for 3 hours. I think it's time to call the insurance company. This hard disk apparently is, to put it nicely, crap. This computer was sent back to the insurance company once. There are no stickers on the outside for anything. I think I've stepped into an insurance scam. I think they sent back a piece of junk someone else sent back and they just reloaded the operating system without even running a chkdsk. I have had it. I am calling tomorrow. Thanks for trying, but this is a nightmare. The hard drive is definitely crap. Once again, thanks for your time, but when it's time to raise "CAIN", it's time. This cannot be related to a cleanup, I am sure of that. Your friend, Ozzette.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Your Welcome anytime, hope it goes well. True could be bad hard drive, is why i also suggest a chkdsk would show bad sectors. Not sure about story of an insurance company, but that is your business.Good luck !

Ozzette53

Ozzette53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I ran chkdsk for 12 hours. It shutdown without a word about anything. :(

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I ran chkdsk for 12 hours. It shutdown without a word about anything. :(

12 hours ?  Wow.

Did you run the command for powershell in post #8 will post results on your desktop can post it back here ?

Never really knew specs of this PC, Make and model, how old it was.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
You should be able to find a log for chkdsk inside of the Event Viewer application. It should be under Windows Logs > Application. The source should be "Wininit".

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

o.k. Run chkdsk after run the DISM then a SFC as instructed in post # 2 and 4.

After that if you can post results for chkdsk using this

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type powershell.exe, and press Enter.

2. In PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

3. You will now have a CHKDSKResults.txt file created on your desktop that is the log file of your chkdsk scan results from Event Viewer.

Just as easy this way for OP.