Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build help please. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Is this with or without the add on video card fitted.

Good luck with sourcing a PSU btw.

Advertisements

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, here's the update.

I got tired of waiting even though I only waited a day, I really wanted to rule in/out the PSU so I ordered one. It came today and so I've unplugged the PSu thats still in the case and hooked it up to the new one. The new one is an XFX 650W XXX Edition 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply. I thought it was best to go a little higher since I discovered on the NVidia website it said a minimum of 500W to power the graphics card.

So far I've been running it for about half an hour, had so buzzing/freezing. Been watching a video, listening to music, no buzzing. I've had CPUID up and running the whole time. The temperatures are alot stable and I'm not getting warnings from the ASUS Suite 2 about the 12V or 3.3V being too high every now and again.

Is that it then? If this PSU stays like it is, it was the PSU all this time? No wonder why everyone I've seen on forums say that the first suspect is the PSU, surely manufacturers should be testing under load before packing? Or would that be against some kind of regulation that companies go by?

Edit: At the moment, the new PSU is out of the tower, with the buzzing gone, should I swap over the PSUs now or should I run it a while before deciding to?

Edited by agent_numpty, 07 December 2014 - 08:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

The one thing that would point to the PSU is the AUXTIN reading, the power supply temp sensor on the MB.

Yep fit the PSU into the case and then keep a check on your temps and voltages for at least the next few days.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Well, PC barely last the day without freezing on me! Completely froze with no warning so had to do a hard restart and shut it down properly.

Did have CPUID up the whole time. AUXTIN initially was jumping from 1dC to 127dC but settled eventually at 70dC.

That little chipset cooler you suggested I get? It's pointless, my PC had been running for 10 hours and it fell off. I am considering getting a proper fitted one with a fan. Your thoughts? It's either that or I get a different motherboard.

On the up side, during those 10 hours the PC ran very smoothly with no buzzing during video and audio. But then that was what happened with the 500W PSU, it froze, I restarted, it got a power surge then the buzzing started. Wonder if it's the same case here?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's frustrating.

I am not very good at actual interpretation of the event Logs, but let's see if we can find any error events.

Go > Start > click Run.   Copy and paste  eventvwr in the open box, > click OK.

The Event Viewer window will open, > make it full screen.

​> click the Applications Tab, then take a screenshot.

> click the Systems Tab, then take a screenshot.

Look in the Systems window for any errors, > Double click the last error listed.  Take a screenshot.

> Click the link under "For more information blah blah"

> Click Yes in the window the opens.  

You will go to a help page giving an explanation for the error, is it of any help?

Lower down the page, see, User Action, anything listed?.

Please include the three screenshots in your next reply.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I've only included 2 screenshots (the ones about taking screenshots when opened initially were useless as there would be no errors showing). I've highlighted the errors that happened around the time of the PC freezing.

Small update: Thought the clue was the Intel HD Graphics Controller, have looked on Intel's website. Have downloaded and installed the latest drivers. Will let you know later if that has any effect.

Attached Thumbnails

• apps.jpg
  • system.jpg

Edited by agent_numpty, 07 December 2014 - 09:49 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
That little chipset cooler you suggested I get? It's pointless, my PC had been running for 10 hours and it fell off.

On the up side, during those 10 hours the PC ran very smoothly with no buzzing during video and audio. 

Unfortunate that the cooler fell off but would you not agree that it appears to have been doing its job for 10 hours at least!

Regarding replacing the MB, you will recall from my reply #43

If you upgrade the MB you may also need to purchase a new product key for the OS, if it does look like you will upgrade the MB contact Microsoft first and let them know that your MB is faulty, if you do this they will normally allow you to reuse the existing product key with the new MB.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, here's another update.

Firstly, because that chipset cooler fell off, I decided to order a more permanent version just in case things do turn sour inside the case after removing the previous one. I did some research recently about the chipset heat sink that was pre-installed when the motherboard was bought, it seems that the ASUS Logo piece in the pic #41 (around that post) isn't meant to be on there? With the shopping around for heat sinks too, none of them have anything covering them so I thought maybe it shouldn't be there, came off quite easily. The temperatures seem to have dropped 5-10dC when I booted the PC back up and it doesn't get as hot as it used to.

I've updated the Intel HD control thing that was giving an error in the Event Viewer. I've also gone into the BIOS and changed something in there so the graphics runs primarily off the dedicated card. I am, however, still getting the same error with the Intel HD control thing along with the other error in post #51.

After all that, I've used it to watch videos and play games but not together. I did take do it briefly just to see how the PC coped and all seems well so far. Not had any buzzing or freezing as of yet.

Another update later on next week.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I've updated the Intel HD control thing that was giving an error in the Event Viewer.

Is the driver number the same as the one from the MB manufacturers website?

still getting the same error with the Intel HD control thing along with the other error in post #51

Please post 2 new screenshot again. 

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Not entirely sure what you mean by driver number but every piece of software I've obtained for the MoBo has been through the ASUS website specifically for it.

Here's the 2 screenshots again:

Attached Thumbnails

• app.jpg
  • scm.jpg

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Updating from the manufacturers website is the right way as they often tweak a driver, especially MB ones.  I asked because if you had updated the drivers for the Control management from the Intel site, it may be a different ver. number and not tweaked.

Looking a screenshot #2, Error, time stamp 11.47,36. a request was made to start a Service, this failed.

Screenshot #1 show the Service called, which failed, time stamp 11,47, 38.   The service is igfxCUIService.exe.

This appears to be part of the integrated graphics, a call to start it, but as you are using the add on GPU, there is a conflict.   There are a number of solutions, the simplest that works for many is,

> Enter BIOS, > Ai Tweaker, > EPU, > select Disable,.

Go, > Advanced Menu, > Graphics Configuration, > Primary Display, > select PCIe.

Go, > Exit, > press F10, > confirm Yes. 

Are you still getting the errors reported?

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

iammykyl,

I've done the Graphics Configuration bit but there is no option to disable the EPU, just the power-saving mode of it.

Yes, I still get the errors.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

EPU, sorry, EPU Power Saving Mode, > Disable. > save Setting, confirm Yes. 

Please try this.

Create a manual Restore Point, name it igfxCUIService.exe set manual

In the Run Box, > copy and paste Services.msc

> right click on igfxCUIService.exe > click Properties, > Change the Startup Type to Manual.

If the service is running, > click Stop, > click Apply, click OK. > close all open windows.

Restart the computer.

Please play games and test.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I've done that. PC is sooo much faster now. I don't get any errors when the PC starts up now.

That's when the error pops up in the Event Viewer is when I first start up the PC. No errors at all anymore

Thanks so much guys.

I've been testing my PC with what I've been doing for almost 4 days now and no freezing yet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Glad to hear it and a job well done both of you  :thumbsup: