Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot save or download files [Solved]

Windows 7 download problem file save problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hi mtnester :)

my Xmarks has not been updating/syncing like it should. My last successful sync was on August 31st, 2014 (today is February 24th, 2015.)

Try a manual download: Xmarks icon ~> Xmarks Settings ~> Advanced tab ~> Download bookmarks.

Please let me know how this goes :)

Thank you :)

Advertisements

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi 23red,

Try a manual download: Xmarks icon ~> Xmarks Settings ~> Advanced tab ~> Download bookmarks.

I don't dare do that. What is showing on the server is wrong, wrong, wrong—seriously outdated.I had no idea things were so out of sorts. I added many, many bookmarks since the last "real" sync last September in Firefox and will lose them if I do a manual download. I would prefer to do it the other way around, actually, but for some reason one of the very large bookmark folders has “about:blank” for all the URLs instead of the actual ones. I will have to search Pinterest to relocate all those boards. I also need to research how to overwrite the website with the bookmarks I have. Also I noticed that there are numerous duplicates showing on my Xmarks account; i.e., Leonardo's (1), Leonardo's (2), Leonardo's etc. up to about 20 entries; and the same thing has occurred for quite a few websites. It is a mess. There are missing folders on the website compared to what is on my Firefox browser. IE is even more outdated. I think I need to start over somehow to erase whatever is on the website.

AND it just occurred to me a few hours ago that I have an issue that further complicates things and may cause you to want to give up the whole thing (or provide you with a serious challenge you can't resist?) During the time you have been working with me I have always been on my Admin account to make things easier as far as making system changes without having to put in the Admin password all the time. That means I actually already have two profiles in Firefox: one as Admin and one as User—which is the one I use for 95% of my browsing. Should I make a new profile for BOTH accounts, or just the Administrator for now? I became sidetracked with this new bookmark realization and haven't accomplished my previous assignment yet.

Thanks.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi 23red,

I need to take really tiny steps regarding making a new profile, since I find it extremely intimidating. When I did the ProfileManager search as suggested, the resulting screen looked like this:

looking for profile mgr.jpg

1. To start the Create Profile Wizard, click "Create Profile..." in the Profile Manager.

This is where I am stuck. I don't understand what to do with the above information or where to put new information. There seem to be Profiles all over the place. There doesn't seem to be a “Profile Manager” in that list, which I sorted alphabetically to make it easier to find. Where did I go wrong? Was it the way I typed the term in the search box?

I don't know what to do next.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Ok. Here we go.   Better instructions for creating an additional profile.  Hope this helps:

Starting the Profile Manager

Important: Before you can start the Profile Manager, Firefox must be completely closed.
  1. At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button and then select Exit

Click the menu button 2014-01-10-13-08-08-f52b8c.png and then click Exit  2014-03-07-11-44-35-716f6b.png

2. Press 2011-09-20-08-33-13-ff63c4.jpg + R (click the Windows Start button and select Run... on Windows XP).
  3. In the Run dialog box, type in:
  4. firefox.exe -p
  5. Click OK.

6e2d77cd857fa24e876097c4af69a4a9-1260152 placeholder.gif

If the Profile Manager window does not open, Firefox may have been running in the background, even though it was not visible. Close all instances of Firefox or restart the computer and then try again.

Creating a profile
  1. To start the Create Profile Wizard, click Create Profile... in the Profile Manager.
  2. Click Next and enter the name of the profile. Use a profile name that is descriptive, such as your personal name. This name is not exposed on the Internet.

6e2d77cd857fa24e876097c4af69a4a9-1260153

placeholder.gif
  3. You can also choose where to store the profile on your computer. To choose its storage location, click Choose Folder....
    Warning: If you choose your own folder location for the profile, select a new or empty folder. If you choose a folder that isn't empty and you later remove the profile and choose the "Delete Files" option, everything inside that folder will be deleted.
  4. To create the new profile, click Finish.

Please let me know how it goes :)

Edited by 23red, 11 March 2015 - 09:37 AM.
typo repair

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hello mtnester :)

Add in here ~ there's some good info in these links that might help.

You had said

.... for some reason one of the very large bookmark folders has “about:blank” for all the URLs instead of the actual ones.

Maybe a setting?  See here ~> https://support.mozi...age-are-missing

This link might help with organizing just in case you have not seen it:  https://support.mozi...ew-tab-page-off

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

23red,

1. Press + R (click the Windows Start button and select Run... on Windows XP).

In the Run dialog box, type in:

firefox.exe -p

1. Click OK.

This is discouraging. No problem getting the desired Run box and typing in the info as instructed,

Fx run box.jpg

but when I clicked OK, here's the message I received:

can't find fx.png

What would be a work-around for this? Obviously I have Firefox.exe, but why can't it be found?

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hi mtnester   :)
It looks like there is a space in what I see in your run box. 

The only way I was able to recreate that error was with no space between the e and the -p.  Or the x and the -p

I got the described window both with choosing run and typing either firefox.exe -p or firefox -p in the run box. 

Try both, see if either works, don't forget the space. 

I put 2 and 3 spaces between firefox or firefox.exe  and -p and the profile window still came up ok. 

Please let me know how it goes :)

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi 23red,

I've tried every reiteration I can think of. I had freshly booted up and in the illustration I have 3 spaces between x and -p

firefox run box.jpg

but I'm still getting the same error message. I am only using IE while working on this problem.

Am now banging my head with a hammer, but that is not helping either.

(PS: thanks for the links; I will check them out.)

Edited by mtnester, 12 March 2015 - 02:24 PM.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Acknowledged.

Is Firefox completely closed? No Firefox processes running?

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

None as far as I can tell. As I mentioned it was a fresh reboot. I changed Task Manager to show processes from all users and did discover two processes with which I am not familiar and question their purpose: 1) mDNSResponder.exe (Bonjour Service); and 2) FCUpdateService.exe *32 (Foxit Cloud Safe Update Service), which I am assuming is an updater for the Foxit Reader I use instead of Adobe Reader.

Further thoughts?

One additional item: This time when I started IE and opened a new tab so that the previous session could be reopened, there was no selection to do so. Whatever tabs I had opened were not available to restore.

Edited by mtnester, 13 March 2015 - 01:43 AM.

Advertisements

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

mDNSResponder.exe is part of Apple ;) ipod, etc.

I am finding conflicting instructions.  Try this way, please:

1. Click the Start button
2. Click the search bar at the bottom.
3.Type firefox -ProfileManager

Please let me know if it goes. 

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

And if that does not go still, try this:

Note: If the Profile Manager window does not appear, you may need to specify the full path of the Firefox program, enclosed in quotes;
for example:
On 32-bit Windows which you have ~ Paste or type:   "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi 23red,

Using the Start/Search box yielded a result of Firefox. That was it, so I clicked on more results and this is a part of the results that came up. I'm not sure if it is what you expect or want to see:

Fx profile manager search.jpg

I have not yet performed the instructions In the following post because I want to clarify with you that I have Firefox 32-bit running on  64-bit Windows. Are the instructions the same nevertheless?

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Using the Start/Search box yielded a result of Firefox. That was it, so I clicked on more results and this is a part of the results that came up. I'm not sure if it is what you expect or want to see

If you'd like to make another profile to start sorting good links, then no.  We're looking for the window in post 49

I have not yet performed the instructions In the following post because I want to clarify with you that I have Firefox 32-bit running on  64-bit Windows. Are the instructions the same nevertheless?

Not quite.  Please try the following:

You are going to need to specify the full path of the Firefox program, enclosed in quotes instead of how we tried it before.

for example:
 On 32-bit Windows: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
 On 64-bit Windows: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p

To create another profile for Firefox this way:

Starting the Profile Manager

Important: Before you can start the Profile Manager, Firefox must be completely closed.
  1. At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button and then select Exit

Click the menu button 2014-01-10-13-08-08-f52b8c.png and then click Exit  2014-03-07-11-44-35-716f6b.png

2. Press 2011-09-20-08-33-13-ff63c4.jpg + R (click the Windows Start button and select Run... on Windows XP).
  3. In the Run dialog box, type in:
  4.  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
  5. Click OK.

6e2d77cd857fa24e876097c4af69a4a9-1260152 placeholder.gif

If the Profile Manager window does not open, Firefox may have been running in the background, even though it was not visible. Close all instances of Firefox or restart the computer and then try again.

Creating a Profile

1. To start the Create Profile Wizard, click Create Profile... in the Profile Manager.
  2. Click Next and enter the name of the profile. Use a profile name that is descriptive, such as your personal name. This name is not exposed on the Internet.

6e2d77cd857fa24e876097c4af69a4a9-1260153

placeholder.gif
  3. You can also choose where to store the profile on your computer. To choose its storage location, click Choose Folder....
    Warning: If you choose your own folder location for the profile, select a new or empty folder. If you choose a folder that isn't empty and you later remove the profile and choose the "Delete Files" option, everything inside that folder will be deleted.
  4. To create the new profile, click Finish.

Please let me know how this goes.

I found some other info that may be helpful to you, please let me know if any of this helps:

Firefox automatically makes daily rotating backups.  Link here

Firefox also saves the last ten backups.  Link here

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi 23red,

Hopefully I'm getting somewhere on this part after a bit of finagling. Having read any number of computer books I know the convention is to type whatever is between quotes, not the quotes themselves, which I did, getting this:

run box, no quotes.jpg

Then I used "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p with quotation marks and got this box:

location not available.jpg

I believe the problem is from a naming convention I used when I was running more than one version of Firefox under different user accounts. Changed the name of my folder to match yours and got this box:

choose user profile.jpg

I gave all that (unnecessary) detail to tell you this—I am assuming there is only a “default” profile showing because I never intentionally created profiles in any version of Firefox; however, I do apparently have quite a few profiles somehow.  When I did the earlier search I saw over 10 folders labeled Profiles, all under various Application Data folders. (see below) Is that where they should be? If so, why did none of them show up in the Choose User Profile box? Why would I have so many? Profiles have always been confusing to me, which is why I have left them alone since I started using Firefox years ago. (Perhaps that's why I have problems? Don't know.)

Fx profile manager search.jpg

I put Shirley's Fx profile in the folder suggested by the Create a Profile box named q160k0qw.Shirley's Fx Profile in the App Data/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles folder.

Now, what should I do with this screen?

choose user profile2.jpg

Thanks again for the links. I will take my laptop with me and try to read them during this evening's activities.

Edited by mtnester, 14 March 2015 - 03:11 PM.